X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Secondary Disorders

Old 06-23-2009, 11:04 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Excessive Saliva

Does anyone else have excessive saliva production? Is that particular symptom associated with anything in particular for anybody that knows?

I'm talking strictly about production here, I have a ton of saliva, seemingly at pretty random times, like right now sitting at my computer late by myself.

It's so bad, the bottom of my mouth will literally start flooding with saliva and I have to start spitting it out or swallowing rapidly to keep it from pouring out of my mouth. I've even had incidents where I opened my mouth while this was happening or moved a muscle in a particular way with my mouth partially open and had saliva spray from one of my glands out of my mouth in a steam.

And like I said, it hasn't been associated with anything in particular just random incidents, like now, about a week ago while I was waiting for a subway train it happened for like 20 minutes.

I've looked this up and can't seem to come up with anything, if anybody has any insight, I'm all ears.
colinmc21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 11:22 PM   #2 (permalink)

I do get excessive saliva from time to time. Its horrible when you want to talk to someone and can feel saliva filling up in your mouth.

I don't know what causes it. Perhaps just a faulty gene that causes excessive saliva production? Or it could be to do with how your jaw is. My lower jaw slightly protrudes and i've always thought that maybe this has something to do with it.
lastofthekews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 02:09 PM   #3 (permalink)

ask doc to check your saliva glands

if its from anxiety, you can learn new ways of calming and realxing yourself
arth77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 05:44 PM   #4 (permalink)

Anxiety can produce this or in opposite cases, dry mouth. Get it checked.
"A simple man believes everything he hears; a clever man understands the need for proof." Proverbs 14:15-The New English Bible
'O the depth of God's richness and wisdom and knowledge! How unsearchable his judgements are and past tracing out his ways are!'-Romans 11:33
Anxiety75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 04:04 PM   #5 (permalink)

Yea I use to get have this when I was in high school and university, my mouth will fill up with saliva and i'll be keep swallowing it, then my stomach would start making weird noises,I wud do everything to get outa my class and get some fresh air
1ShyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 08:39 AM   #6 (permalink)

Default excess saliva

hi colin, i'm having the same issue with saliva in my mouth, filling up from the bottom. was wondering if the problem solved itself or any advice you recieved. I've been on amoxicillin for a week and its still filling my mouth. Now the doctor has gave me some capsuls to reduce gastric acid, not sure if they will work. hope you are better now and look forward to your reply.

kindest regards

richard
richard98765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 02:03 PM   #7 (permalink)

I had this happen to me only once. Every 30 seconds my mouth would fill up to the top with spit. I constantly needed to spit in a bucket for hours on end. Even tried putting a towel in my mouth. Are you on any medications?
Noca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 07:30 AM   #8 (permalink)

Default excess saliva

I've just finished a weeks course of amoxicillin antibiotics and the saliva is still the same, fills up mouth every 2minutes. It's a thin tasteless clear liquid which is slightly foamy.
Old 06-22-2010, 07:31 AM   #9 (permalink)

Default excess saliva

i'm not on any other medications, its just happened suddenly after a jog and since has kept on filling up.
Old 06-22-2010, 09:11 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard98765 View Post
i'm not on any other medications, its just happened suddenly after a jog and since has kept on filling up.
TCA's should help cause dry mouth and solve your problem.
Noca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 10:12 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard98765 View Post
Are you properly hydrated?
Live and HELP live is better!

TROLL ALERT STATUS:
CHAT -> BERT

FORUMS -> ERNIE
(troll activity on the increase)

WATCH WHAT YOU TYPE!
millenniumman75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 11:24 AM   #12 (permalink)

Smoke some weed, that'll quickly dry your mouth out :P.

euphoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 08:11 AM   #13 (permalink)

Excessive saliva increased amounts of saliva in your mouth is usually a temporary problem and rarely cause for concern.Excessive saliva, which is referred to by doctors as sialorrhea, can be annoying and cause problems with eating, talking and breathing and can occur in people of any age.Excessive saliva can be a side effect of some medications, and excessive saliva is common in the early months of pregnancy.

Old 08-01-2011, 05:37 PM   #14 (permalink)

I get the same problem, only getting worse when anxious, which usually results in me having to 'hack up' the excess saliva, I've had it for months and there's nothing my doctors can do
Natterz85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 05:05 PM   #15 (permalink)
Kag

Default excess salivation

I seem to have this same problem. I have a lot of saliva in my mouth. I am not drooling or needing to spit but I have to swallow all the time and it is getting on my nerves! I have suffered from anxiety for the last 17 years but not really so much social anxiety, more panic attacks and depression. I was wondering if anybody had any other ideas on this. I work at a job where I have to talk a lot and I was wondering if anybody had noticed stress making it worse? It seems like the more I think about it, the worse it gets. I am not even eating very much... I had maybe 3 slices of bread today and that was it. I can't find much on the web about it and am going to call my dentist about it tomorrow. Any help you can give me with this would be great! Thank you!
Kag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 05:27 PM   #16 (permalink)

I've had this problem, too. I just assumed it was because I had braces and my mouth just never 'recovered' from having a bunch of steel in my mouth. Sometimes my mouth just fills up with saliva, or I'll randomly just shoot out a stream. It's pretty gross. Luckily no-one has been on the receiving end (on their body, at least). I've spat on myself plenty of times accidently... that's a bit gross... but yes, I also have this issue, but I just stemmed it back to my braces. Maybe not?
jamesarcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 05:40 PM   #17 (permalink)

Yes, I do. My dentist calls me a "gusher" haha
Old 10-30-2011, 05:41 PM   #18 (permalink)
Kag

I think dental work is one of the things that I saw listed as a cause for excess saliva on the websites that I checked. I asked my dentist if the crown that has been bothering me could be causing this and he said no. Although, I sometimes wonder how much of the stuff the doctors say isn't just to c.y.a.

I wonder if your bite isn't off from having the braces though. Did you ever go to a dentist to have it checked out? Everything that I have read online says that excess saliva happens from time to time with no rhyme or reason but this has been going on for DAYS now.... arrrgh...
Old 10-30-2011, 05:43 PM   #19 (permalink)
Kag

So does your dentist suggest anything for it or does he just tell you to live with it?
Old 10-30-2011, 05:58 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinmc21 View Post
Does anyone else have excessive saliva production? Is that particular symptom associated with anything in particular for anybody that knows?

I'm talking strictly about production here, I have a ton of saliva, seemingly at pretty random times, like right now sitting at my computer late by myself.

It's so bad, the bottom of my mouth will literally start flooding with saliva and I have to start spitting it out or swallowing rapidly to keep it from pouring out of my mouth. I've even had incidents where I opened my mouth while this was happening or moved a muscle in a particular way with my mouth partially open and had saliva spray from one of my glands out of my mouth in a steam.

And like I said, it hasn't been associated with anything in particular just random incidents, like now, about a week ago while I was waiting for a subway train it happened for like 20 minutes.

I've looked this up and can't seem to come up with anything, if anybody has any insight, I'm all ears.
Simple question: do you sometimes have acid reflux? This is caused when your stomach makes too much acid and it flows in your oesophagus.
This can cause some pain behind the chest bone (called heartburn), can cause bad breath, lots of small burps and sometimes even a hoarse voice. It also can cause excessive saliva production because saliva contains a neutralizing agent and your body produces more of it to counter the acid.

If you have reflux, most of the time you might have only one of these symptoms.

It's harmless though. unless you really have a lot of pain and leave it for years and years without treatment, reflux is harmless. But annoying.
Icebat is offline   Reply With Quote