X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Secondary Disorders

Old 05-30-2010, 02:06 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Emotional Hypersensitivity

I'm extremely sensitive and it's increasingly becoming a problem. Many things upset me, and whether they're worth it or not I'm prone to becoming FURIOUS or sad to the point of bawling. It doesn't take much and I realize this even during the moment, but it's uncontrollable.

I don't want to be so dramatic all the time, but a lot of situations just feel like the end of the world.

Anyone else empathize?
Disastuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 02:25 PM   #2 (permalink)

Yes, unfortunately.
Neptunus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 02:53 PM   #3 (permalink)

I am like this, especially at work. I have started doing something about it, relaxation and breathing exersises, and it seems to help, I have become a bit quieter in the past few weeks.
witchno2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 03:55 PM   #4 (permalink)

Yes, this is me. Insignificant things, or things that don't seem to bother anyone else, make me furious, and I end up in tears.

There are also many things which sadden me, and sometimes I become upset in an almost happy sort of way -- for example, if I find something to be overly beautiful, it makes me want to cry.

I can't explain these emotions, because they do not occur in ordinary situations where tears are expected, and I seem to have no control over them.
conjectural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 06:15 AM   #5 (permalink)

Yip, me too! I think it is just part of my personality. But if you haven't always felt like this, maybe it is hormones? Or depression or something? I think mine has got worse since I got depressed. I assume it will get easier with age... we will get better at coping with stuff. At least I hope so :S. Good luck!
shygirl86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 08:41 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shygirl86 View Post
But if you haven't always felt like this, maybe it is hormones? Or depression or something?
No, I've always been this way. I wouldn't rule out any of those other factors though in aggravating the problem.
Old 06-05-2010, 02:25 AM   #7 (permalink)

Have you heard of Alice Miller ? (Psychoanalyst -she has a website). She talks about exactly these things. She believes emotional hypersensitivity is caused by having a huge amount of repressed rage and sadness from your childhood, which becomes triggered by everyday situations. The intense emotions are actually completely legitimate, if you relate them to their original source.
Antechinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 11:52 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antechinus View Post
Have you heard of Alice Miller ? (Psychoanalyst -she has a website). She talks about exactly these things. She believes emotional hypersensitivity is caused by having a huge amount of repressed rage and sadness from your childhood, which becomes triggered by everyday situations. The intense emotions are actually completely legitimate, if you relate them to their original source.
Makes sense, for some of us. I had trauma in childhood, and I've always been prickly about things. There are probably people with no trauma who just have sensitive nervous systems.

Even subtle things that don't affect any one else affect me and I get teary, weepy easily or irritable. I will also tear up because something is tender or beautiful, like a movie or a poem.

I am not my past. I am not my anxiety, nor depression. I am not my gender, or color, or social status, or occupation title, or any other label. I am not my story.
OregonMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 08:17 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disastuh View Post
I'm extremely sensitive and it's increasingly becoming a problem. Many things upset me, and whether they're worth it or not I'm prone to becoming FURIOUS or sad to the point of bawling. It doesn't take much and I realize this even during the moment, but it's uncontrollable.

I don't want to be so dramatic all the time, but a lot of situations just feel like the end of the world.

Anyone else empathize?
Yeah, that is me. I've always been like that. It has affected relationships too. I try not to be over sensitive, but its like I can't help it often. I always envy people who seem to let things roll off their backs.
sickofthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 08:25 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disastuh View Post

Anyone else empathize?
Yes. Random events don't upset me so much. Like if my car broke down, it'd suck but I wouldn't make a big deal about it. My sensitivity is connected to how other people treat me. I have a temper and get extrememly angry or depressed if people hurt me, and the inverse is true, is a person shows me kindness it can make my whole week. It's such a problem because I feel like such a slave to my emotions and they're so easily affected by the slightest actions of those around me. It's like being pulled apart.
shadowmask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 08:35 AM   #11 (permalink)

yes i have this sensitivity as well it stems from my low self esteem anxiety and depression most people with severe sa have this im sure
Old 06-07-2010, 09:40 AM   #12 (permalink)

I am hypersensitive too, always have been. I am more prone to anger though, but I have had my crying jags over the years for sure. My feelings easily get hurt.

I read somewhere that people with social anxiety are really sensitive, otherwise we wouldn't really care so much about what others think and do.
Old 06-07-2010, 12:42 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkerbonbon View Post
I read somewhere that people with social anxiety are really sensitive, otherwise we wouldn't really care so much about what others think and do.
Bingo! If you have social anxiety, then you are most likely really sensitive.
habsfan31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 07:56 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofthis View Post
Yeah, that is me. I've always been like that. It has affected relationships too. I try not to be over sensitive, but its like I can't help it often. I always envy people who seem to let things roll off their backs.
It affects my relationship with my boyfriend, too. I have arguments where I become withdrawn and childish until I realize how cruel and ridiculous I've been hours later and apologize excessively nearly daily. I over-react to things he says, or things he doesn't do. It's awful. It stems from some initial insecurity and then I go on a mission to prove something by interrogating him and being accusatory. This is what provoked me to start this thread, actually...my arguments with my boyfriend :/ I envy easy-going, light-hearted types.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowmask
Yes. Random events don't upset me so much. Like if my car broke down, it'd suck but I wouldn't make a big deal about it. My sensitivity is connected to how other people treat me. I have a temper and get extrememly angry or depressed if people hurt me, and the inverse is true, is a person shows me kindness it can make my whole week. It's such a problem because I feel like such a slave to my emotions and they're so easily affected by the slightest actions of those around me. It's like being pulled apart.
I have this tendency to react disproportionately, too. I agree that it largely has to do with having SA, as our anxiety is interpersonal and so we're more attuned to piffling details that we extract from social situations and are inclined to interpret negatively. My problem is further compounded by depression and BDD.
Old 06-10-2010, 08:12 PM   #15 (permalink)

I think I'm like a weird type of emotionally sensitive. Many times people will say or do completely innocent things, but I take those as insults and fire something mean back. I think this is why I fought a lot in school when I was younger, but I grew out of the fighting. I still do the insulting thing though.
keemosabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 09:24 PM   #16 (permalink)

I can totally relate to you. Criticisms affect me so much that I often get depress about it and sometimes hate the person who critized me. And sometimes, even just the tone of the voice can offend me.
recluse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 09:39 PM   #17 (permalink)

I went through some very stressful things recently and they were new situations and that affects me more.
Sunshine009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 11:38 AM   #18 (permalink)

Can relate to this entirely, unfortunately x/
Andeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 01:19 PM   #19 (permalink)

I can empathize with this as well. I never outburst publicly, even among trusted company, when I am outraged or deeply sad, but inside I do react strongly to what people do and say and my emotions cause me to take actions that could be extreme in regards to the situation; which is usually some form of running away - making myself unreachable by most means. I grew up surrounded by hypersensitive people who flew off the handle easily and often took it out on me (lowest pecking order in the family) so I became an expert at repressing my own feelings to avoid conflict. Unfortunately, as an adult, I keep attracting the same kind of personality to myself relationships and friend-wise. I wonder if the gentle souls are invisible to me, lol.
Dusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 08:29 AM   #20 (permalink)
E93

I'm like this too, its beginning to take a toll on my relationships
E93 is offline   Reply With Quote