Does anyone here have BDD(Body dysmorphic disorder)? - Page 2 - Social Anxiety Forum
X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Secondary Disorders

Old 02-04-2008, 11:17 AM   #21 (permalink)

Default Re: Does anyone here have BDD(Body dysmorphic disorder)?

I wonder if I do, I have some symptoms of it. Like just a few days ago I literally spent 3 hours just looking in the mirror and obsessing and fretting over my right eye. Looking at photographs of myself often causes instant depressive feelings. I know there's at least one guy in the world who finds me attractive but sometimes I wonder if his standards aren't just really low. I'm very insecure about the way I look, and even now I'm convinced that my bones/skull are underdeveloped or I was somehow undernourished as a kid or something, and it's a major, major part of my SA. There are some good days though, when I can accept the fact that I'm on the plain side and believe that being neat and taking care of yourself are the most important. I mean anyone can be born with a pretty face. Just 'cause you didn't get a winning ticket doesn't make you less worthy or deserving of happiness.
Old 02-04-2008, 07:07 PM   #22 (permalink)

I know the feeling. I check myself in the mirror relentlessly. I do it before leaving for work, several times, I do it at work all day long and I do it on my way home in the car. BDD is such a crazy condition because its incredibly difficult to control. I get really sad sometimes, deeply depressed. Sometimes, I wish I were somebody else completely. Maybe that way I'd have a chance at a better more normal life. Everyone has issues, and most people's issues aren't a visual matter so you can't tell by looking at someone. I know most people don't know about my issues. People that know about BDD and SA can sometimes tell, but only if they know me or are around me long enough. I really really hope that someday, I'll be able to overcome this and that there'll be a strong chance of recovery for all people that suffer from BDD. I'm a positive person, I practice being positive everyday and I work on thinking of myself from positive perspectives, but its not always easy to keep that up. One things for sure, I'm not giving up. I refuse to go on thinking that I'm physically deformed for the rest of my life. Trust, I know the feeling
bchavez2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 03:37 AM   #23 (permalink)

I'm really struggling today.

My horrible hair and my ugly face are the main things I hate about myself right now.

I have been trying to grow my hair longer so it would mask the fact that I'm going bald but the slightest bit of wind blows it about so much that I look ridiculous so I always wear a cap or a hat when I go out. I can't go on living like this.

I decided to get it cut, of course it had to be the really hot hairdresser this time, I'm sure she's never seen anyone so grotesque, but she cut way too much off, now I have this massive big forehead exposed and it really shows off my hideous features to everyone.
How am I going to face people and look them in the eye looking like this?
Ken_Noddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 03:12 PM   #24 (permalink)

first I gotta say that I do the whol disregarding positive comments as lies thing all the time too and not just for my looks.

I'm pretty sure I have BDD. I constantly look at myself in the mirror and in photos and think about all my bad features. The next few things I do sound a little crazy. I meassure different parts of my body like the width of my head or the size of my nose a lot, I also measure my proportions and I compare the measurements to the averages found on the internet. I also measure the size of my forhead and width of my head in pics and do the same for the others in the pics and compare. I once read that babies tend to look longer at pretty faces than ugly ones so I if I ever see a baby look at me I try to see how long they look at me compared to how long they look at other people. I'm actually real comfortable about my body, it could be improved slightly but it's not necessary and most people would kill to have my body, it's my face I have problems with. Luckly I deal with BDD real well though; I don't think my looks will ever really hold me back in life so there is no reason to go through drastic measures to try to change them.
livingnsilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 03:47 PM   #25 (permalink)

BDD is killing me.
busstop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 07:41 PM   #26 (permalink)

Well, anything that's a personal issue, if you're looking for answers, they all lie in you. Its NOT about what others are saying or in getting reassurance from others. Its all in yourself. So, I think that getting over some of the thoughts associated with BDD and SA, OCD even, its something that comes w/ work and practice. The more you practice saying positive things to youself (make a list of things to carry with you) and practice on negating the negative thoughts, the more rational your thinking becomes and consequently your conditions starts to lessen (intensity of). We're all human. Sometimes, I feel like I'm not so I know the feeling well. Sometimes, I feel so ugly and deformed that its almost like I'm not human or a creature of some sort. But deep down, I know that there's definitely something wrong with seeing myself this way. So, I WORK on my thoughts. Its the best solution there is. Get a work book, and start now. Because the longer you wait, the more it will stick to you. I'm not giving up on myself, and neither you or anyone here.
bchavez2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 02:48 PM   #27 (permalink)

I think I might..my perception of how I look changes drastically, some days I think I'm ok, other days I feel so ugly I can't leave the house. Especially different mirrors, different lighting really confuses me how I really look. I check mirrors a lot too. I once recorded myself with a digital camera and moved around to see how others might see me and I was disgusted. I hide the camera now. I have an obsessive compulsion about my hair, if I can't get it to look decent I just give up and refuse to leave the house. I probably have it..if not a very confused idea of my own self image...I can never figure out how other people see me. Definitely feel ugly in general though.
paranoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 11:32 PM   #28 (permalink)

I feel your pain... I have been suffering from bdd since I was a teenager. I used to try on everything in my wardrobe for hours and then not even go to school. It takes me on a good day, 3 hours to get ready & if I don't have time to make my hair/makeup/clothes look perfect, then I will actually skip a day of college or work. This disease has made such a negative impact on my life... I have no self esteem & I've never had a boyfriend - I can barely even look the opposite sex in the eyes w/o turning red & worrying that they think I'm so ugly and fat. I hide in the house and am scared to go out in public since I always worry about a hair being out of place or my stomach sticking out, etc etc. I've never been to a therapist but I'm interested to know what they can do and if anyone has had success?
misskiki25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 06:52 PM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken_Noddy
Does anyone else find it strange that while we are contantly craving reassurances about our looks, when someone does say 'you look fine' we totally disregard them and think they are just lying?
I mean, what are we looking for?

I would find it a big help if we all could be put into groups or something and all the hot people would be given A's all the way down to us in the XXXX's. At least this way you would know where you stand and it would avoid you falling for someone you just do not ever have a chance with.

It freaks me out that occasionally a really pretty girl will smile at me and say hello. It makes me annoyed, people like that shouldn't even acknowledge my existance, it isn't fair, they inhabit a different stratosphere and it just ends up making my head even more messed up than it already is.
agree.
same with me for weight. So I've struggled with BDD. I have to be perfect. I'm trying to get over issues with eating because I've been to hell and back with it. But honestly I think I just have to learn to live with it.
carolinagirl113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 01:50 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addi
Itīs a symptom of BDD to have to scrutinize one self everytime one goes out. Stand infront of the mirror going over everything, details. I spend time infront of the mirror going over myself even if Iīm just going out to the hall, out with the trash or shopping for dinner. If something isnīt good enough I donīt go outside, if my hair stands out somewhere I donīt go out hehe. This is such a weird condition.
Ugh, I do this all the time too, it's so exhausting. I just want to be able to walk out the house w/o consulting a mirror first... sometimes I don't even want to answer the door. I've wondered if I have BDD because I really think my nose may be getting bigger, or my head smaller... either way, all I see when I look in the mirror is a giant nose... like those old Afrin commercials.. that's me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchavez2
I check myself in the mirror relentlessly. I do it before leaving for work, several times, I do it at work all day long and I do it on my way home in the car. BDD is such a crazy condition because its incredibly difficult to control. I get really sad sometimes, deeply depressed. Sometimes, I wish I were somebody else completely. Maybe that way I'd have a chance at a better more normal life.
I totally feel you on this one, it's the cause of my depression, & I always wonder how much easier my life would be, how much happier I would be, if I had just gotten lucky like so many other people, and be attractive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoid
..my perception of how I look changes drastically, some days I think I'm ok, other days I feel so ugly I can't leave the house. Especially different mirrors, different lighting really confuses me how I really look. I check mirrors a lot too.
Me too, it seems silly, but I know I look best when I turn off the lights in my bathroom, and look in the mirror with just sunlight... so that's how I look at myself before I leave everyday, b/c I know I'll feel better that way. I know that's not how I'll look everywhere though, so I don't know what the point is. I try to avoid the mirror in the bathroom at work b/c I look horrible in it & it depresses me. I wish we lived in a world with no overhead lighting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by misskiki25
I used to try on everything in my wardrobe for hours and then not even go to school.
I still do this, I've been late for work more times than I can count b/c of this obsession. It takes me FOREVER to get ready, & 9 times out of 10 I still feel ridiculously uncomfortable where ever I go. And my roommate just jumps out of bed and runs out the house looking incredible with no effort, it's so depressing.

I always worry about things like what if I end up in the hospital & have to be seen in one of those gowns, or if I get hurt & my shirt has to be removed to treat an injury... things I can't control.

I don't even like people looking at me from the side b/c I hate my profile.. but how can I avoid that?

The list could go on...
wanderer82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 02:32 PM   #31 (permalink)

Old 03-01-2008, 01:09 AM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by misskiki25
I feel your pain... I have been suffering from bdd since I was a teenager. I used to try on everything in my wardrobe for hours and then not even go to school. It takes me on a good day, 3 hours to get ready & if I don't have time to make my hair/makeup/clothes look perfect, then I will actually skip a day of college or work. This disease has made such a negative impact on my life... I have no self esteem & I've never had a boyfriend - I can barely even look the opposite sex in the eyes w/o turning red & worrying that they think I'm so ugly and fat. I hide in the house and am scared to go out in public since I always worry about a hair being out of place or my stomach sticking out, etc etc. I've never been to a therapist but I'm interested to know what they can do and if anyone has had success?
I've had a lot of the same issues, and I go to a therapist. Right now I'm dealing with some other issues that are too emotionally intense to get into dealing with BDD.
What they do is try to find the root of the problem and work through it, so that kind of therapy can be really hard to do. But I'm sure it's worth looking into. Try it and see!
carolinagirl113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 02:34 AM   #33 (permalink)
yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothing_to_fear
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer82

I always worry about things like what if I end up in the hospital & have to be seen in one of those gowns, or if I get hurt & my shirt has to be removed to treat an injury... things I can't control.

I don't even like people looking at me from the side b/c I hate my profile.. but how can I avoid that?

The list could go on...
i have small worries like that too. i hate the summer because when it's humid my hair gets frizzy and when i sweat i worry my make-up will be smudged. i'm dreading it just thinking about it.
i always always have something to worry about, even if the situation seems fine. when i imagine myself in relationship and if the guy says i'm attractive, i might believe him, but i worry about things like if i were to see him in the morning without make-up and i would look so horrible that he would leave me, or having him see me outside if it's really bright out so i would probably do my best to try to avoid those situations.
i'm really obsessive about lighting and mirrors too. when i'm getting ready i need a lot of bright lights to make sure my make-up looks "acceptable", so i have my blinds open wide so there's a lot of sun shining through. but when i get home i have my light very dim so i look much better and i won't feel so terrible when looking at myself in the mirror.
In the summer, you can always try products with silicones in them. Those really work for humidity but you might have to clarify and deep condition if you don't use quality haircare. You could use a primer to keep your makeup on longer, but most of them contain tons of silicones and could break you out if you didn't make sure to remove them ALL. To keep your makeup on, use a finishing power. Everyday Minerals is very ingredient and price smart and their products actually work too. Lights - don't know if you use them, but fluorescent is not the best. Even though it's less bright, they're not that flattering unless you "shape" them lol. But who does that? Unless you buy lights with accurate color too (that means 6500K or D65) and leave them on for a couple of minutes, you'll be having a color cast but your eyes will correct for this so you won't see it.
yes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 03:30 AM   #34 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by busstop
BDD is killing me.
I have only suffered from BDD for 6 months. It has completley runied my life. I still work but i feel sooooo sick every morning before leaving the house. People stare and laugh at me all the time. I have a fixation about my nose, It was broken when i was a child and i had it fixed . I liked the results at first but as the swelling went down my face started changing. It started as 1 bad comment and i focused on that for weeks. My CBT therapist tells me there is nothing wrong with my nose and so does my family. I know they are lying which frustates me even more. I mean everyone laughs at me everytime i go out.

I can't tell friends because they will not understand. I really can't see a future anymore but the worse thing is, i am probably one of the most cheerful, happy and fun going people i know which makes this much harder. I don't know if anyone else feels the same as me but i wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy.

Old men laugh at me. How bad is that?

I just take it day by day.
smoothjuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 11:30 PM   #35 (permalink)

[right:1jsm51l6]I've been battling BDD...long before i even knew what it was. I can't even leave my apartment anymore. I'm repulsed by how i look. I feel like i'm too ugly to live sometimes.

When i was in high school, these guys that were in my class used to bully me all the time, and one of them said that if he was me, he would never come outside. I have never forgotten about that [/right:1jsm51l6]
Old 05-19-2008, 11:09 AM   #36 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shauna
When i was in high school, these guys that were in my class used to bully me all the time, and one of them said that if he was me, he would never come outside. I have never forgotten about that

surprisingly i didn't get a load of negative comments, except for once in junior high this ******* said "what's wrong with your face??". it has had the same effect on me, i think about it regularly and i feel like that's the truth, i really am that hideous but no one else had the guts to tell me. i block out any positive comments and only focus on this one..
Old 05-19-2008, 02:53 PM   #37 (permalink)

I think I have a lot of the traits of someone with Body Dysmorphic Disorder, but I don't compulsively check mirrors (actually try to avoid them sometimes), or seek reassurance, etc.

If my hair doesn't look right or I have no make-up on, there is NO WAY I am leaving my room. Not even to go to the bathroom (I live in a dorm), unless it's late at night and there's little chance of seeing someone else. Oh yeah, I HATE having to walk back from taking a shower--walking down the hall with exposed skin, no makeup, and hideous hair. I loathe it.

I also take a long, long time to get ready, even if it's just to go join my boyfriend for a cigarette. For everyday things, like going to class or the store, I'll probably change my outfit twice, and use a substantial amount of make-up. For parties and bigger events, I'll change clothes several times, and spend loads of time perfecting my hair and make-up.

Here's a tip for girls with BDD: If your eyeliner constantly smudges and looks gross, invest in Urban Decay primer potion and MAC Fluidline. Use 'em both, and your eyeliner will never smudge, or fade. Not having to worry about raccoon eyes is a nice thing.
endtroducing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 03:42 PM   #38 (permalink)

BDD for me was an extension of my OCD. I've always found one feature to obsess over. I've never been mistaken for a good-looking guy, but I know my physical problems could have been a lot worse. Yet some days I can't leave the house or even my bed because I know I can't go outside feeling confident about myself. I've pretty much reduced my BDD down to a science. I don't have a symmetrical face, like the psychologists say is an indicator of attractiveness. I don't have a well-proportioned body like Leonardo da Vinci's Vitruvian Man. I looked up statistics on average human proportions and my head size is about 2 standard deviations above the norm, while I am slightly shorter than average. I have an noticeable underbite. I always wonder how pathetic looking I am in my clothes. And on and on.

To me, BDD is almost like a fight against being mundane and unimportant. I might not look completely hideous, but I feel that my looks are holding me back from progress in life. It's always such an uphill battle to change people's first impression of me.
John_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 08:27 AM   #39 (permalink)

I'm pretty sure I had some kind of developmental problems as a kid. Everything about me is just so small and young and kind of abnormal, I get rude comments all the time from relatives who are upset that I never change and that I've failed to grow up. I hate the way I look, I think I just look like **** most of the time, especially during the winter when I just become devoured by the clothes I wear. I don't wear makeup or anything usually. What's the point? Exercising myself to death and generally being clean and eating right makes me feel a little bit better, but in the end I still feel like a shoddy, cheap product. No amount of window dressing can change that. I don't know if that's BDD, but whatever it is, it sucks.
Old 05-20-2008, 09:07 AM   #40 (permalink)

Vito is offline   Reply With Quote