X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Secondary Disorders

Old 01-24-2008, 06:36 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Does anyone feel like this after drinking...

Hi guys, newbie here..

I was just wondering if any of you guys have extreme anxiety after a night of drinking, i dont drink alot maybe once a week...When i wakeup after drinking everything seems to be ok, but then as time passes a bit it seems the anxiety goes crazy... I feel like i cant sit still, kind of jittery/shaky, very self concious about any pain/aches on the body, sometimes hot flashes etc.... The feeling subsides after several hours, im guessing because the alcohol "fully" leaves the body...Can anyone relate to this?!

Its kind of frustrating when i was younger i didnt have this problem at all, im 26 now, and its a extreme change for me...I had full checkup at a hospital recently blood/urine/ekg and i was told i was healthy

Thanks
josh11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 06:38 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Does anyone feel like this after drinking...

I don't like drinking because of this.

I have horrible hangovers. I feel like my whole body is poisoned. I feel like every cell in my body is jumpy and jittery and I get a lot of aches and pains and a lot of paranoia. I HATE it!!!
Old 01-24-2008, 07:00 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the response.. Does anyone know why specifically this happens? My father for example drinks alot more then me, and he is perfectly fine the next day never had a problem like this... I know everybody is different, but i would imagine if im getting such extreme reaction, then he would be having similar symptoms, or at least some of them
Old 01-24-2008, 08:23 PM   #4 (permalink)

Hello. I have the same problem. The alcohol leaches the serotonin out of your system. I can feel the effects of a hang over for 2-3 days. My anxiety goes through the roof. This is why I no longer drink. BTW I'm 30 and when I was younger it was not as bad. Alcohol+anxiety=pain. Good luck.
mcnabj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 08:40 PM   #5 (permalink)

I think the main reason you get a hangover is because you are dehydrated. Drink water while/after you drink. lol, i myself hate to drink because of said issues, but sometiems it makes me feel more "normal" around ppl.
Old 01-24-2008, 08:49 PM   #6 (permalink)

Yes my anxiety is always worse the next day after drinking.
The only theory about alcohol i was told (by a psychiatrist) related to depression. According to him it kills off some receptors which are needed to recieve the neurotransmitters like serotonin. Apparently it takes 3 months for each cell to fully bounce back.
With anxiety i think it might be related to the hang over.
nenad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 08:54 PM   #7 (permalink)

I dont think its even the hangover, because i dont get nausea, headache or even feel sick.. Its just the plain anxiety, very jittery on the edge its really bad

Most of the time i drink, its rum... Perhaps if i do drink i should consider switching to wine
Old 01-24-2008, 10:39 PM   #8 (permalink)

Do you sleep as well after you drink? Lack of rest maybe?

For hangovers water definitely helps. If I drink a lot of alcohol and dont rehydrate myself I feel like crap the next day. But if I drink a bunch of water, I could drink even more alcohol and feel almost fine the next day. Generally I try to drink a cup of water for every drink I had.
Arkturus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 01:16 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatlegeuce
I think the main reason you get a hangover is because you are dehydrated. Drink water while/after you drink.
If you drink beer you largely avoid the dehydration problem since even higher alcohol beers are still 90% water.

The problem with dehydration & a hangover is that it's hard to get rehydrated no matter how much water you drink since you just keep vomiting the water up. Drinking water is like loading the water cannon again so it can spew in another 10 minutes. At least that was my hangover experience. I quickly learned to not drink so much that I barf.
UltraShy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 08:52 PM   #10 (permalink)

Yes, I totally get this! And I never ever used to get it before. I mean, I'm 18 and my hangovers are so unbearable now I can't even drink. I feel like crap for three days following a night of drinking (NONE of my friends are like this).

My anxiety is extremely bad the next day. It used to be really bad back in the day but now it's a bit better. I used to stay in my room the entire day of my hangover. I usually felt like crap, could feel every cell in my body, had unbelievable aches and pains and could not sit still. I could barely speak to people and wouldn't make any sense. I would stay in my room all day despite being dehydrated, hungry, needing to use the washroom, needing to shower etc. I would just lock my door and endure the horrible pain. If friends called me I wouldn't answer because I felt like a sketch bag.

And I refuse(d) to see people when I'm hungover. I used to go into work hungover feeling like crap, ready to have an anxiety attack. It was just unbearable. I felt like I wasn't even in reality. Very bizarre. To the OP, I don't know did you used to do drugs? I started doing drugs heavily back in the day and eventually my come downs would lead to huge anxiety where I couldn't speak, I would try to speak and nothing would come out or make sense (this was probably a side effect of all the drugs rather than it necessarily being anxiety).. but then I often wonder if that was actually the case, because I know lots of people who do drugs who never experienced come downs like I did, and it only happened near the end of my drug use.

I wouldn't be able to look people in the eyes and wouldn't be able to be near people, period. I stayed in my room enduring the come downs... worst thing ever.
Social_butterfly00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 02:39 AM   #11 (permalink)

Thanks Social your post described exactly how i feel
Old 01-28-2008, 11:33 AM   #12 (permalink)

I'm on day 3 now after a night of drinking (Friday night). I remember everything about the night except I have some images in my mind and I'm not sure if they are real or if it was in my dream. I have extreme anxiety because I feel like I did something wrong that night (Like kiss another man or something) and I'm married. I love my husband and I know I didn't do anything like that but I have these images in my mind that I did. My friend says I was with her the whole night and everyone else at the party hasn't said anything.

I'm wondering why my mind is playing tricks on me and causing me to have such bad anxiety over this. I have made up my mind and I'm not drinking anymore. This type of thing has happened before with my husband and I at the bar together. I had a dream the next day that I had gotten raped in the women's bathroom. I don't know why alcohol is doing this to me. Can anyone help?
WhiteLilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 11:50 AM   #13 (permalink)

I've heard it is to do with dehydrating and electrolytes.
Drinking makes anxiety worse in the long run. If you drink, make sure you drink a pint of orange juice before going to bed. Diluted stuff.
bling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 12:13 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraShy
Quote:
Originally Posted by beatlegeuce
I think the main reason you get a hangover is because you are dehydrated. Drink water while/after you drink.
If you drink beer you largely avoid the dehydration problem since even higher alcohol beers are still 90% water.

The problem with dehydration & a hangover is that it's hard to get rehydrated no matter how much water you drink since you just keep vomiting the water up. Drinking water is like loading the water cannon again so it can spew in another 10 minutes. At least that was my hangover experience. I quickly learned to not drink so much that I barf.
I have only on a few rare occasions drank to the point where I was vomiting.

While beer is primarily water, I am not sure that I can agree you avoid the dehydration problem. I have had plenty of wicked hangovers and felt dried up after beer drinking. But that is just me.

When I have a hangover (which I truly try to avoid overall by simply not drinking enough to warrant one) I feel very tired, completely sapped of energy, very thirsty, and strangely, incredibly hungry.
WineKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 09:13 AM   #15 (permalink)

ive only had one hangover that made me vomit.

ive had a few that gave me the dry heaves.

ive found gatorade to be the best hangover helper.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:27 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penny
While beer is primarily water, I am not sure that I can agree you avoid the dehydration problem. I have had plenty of wicked hangovers and felt dried up after beer drinking. But that is just me.
Beer tends to limit your drinking due to the large volume of liquid involved, not to mention the carbonation to make you feel full.

I think about 10 beers is the most I've ever managed to consume. That was while visiting relatives who had a keg plus some home brews. The home brew guy claimed the alc content was in the 8-10% range, but who knows. I consumed that over many hours with huge amounts of food so I only got mildly to moderately intoxicated.
UltraShy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 06:48 PM   #17 (permalink)

To those who have such horrible anxiety/ect. the next day after drinking it's probably just a good idea not to drink much at all. Alcohol is a downer, and while the next day I don't ever feel more or less anxious or what have you I can have a bad time drinking with the symptoms described above. That aside, I leave two or three bottles of water by my bed if I'm going to be drinking as I drink a lot. When I'm getting into bed that night (sometimes morning heh) I drink as much of that water as I can. When I get up to pee, I drink as much of what's left as I can. Lots of OJ in the morning and I usually have a slight headace for maybe 10 min max. That kinda achy/sick body feeling goes away in an hour.
Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 07:17 PM   #18 (permalink)

Yeah because of my extreme sensitivity to beer, I tend to not drink much at all. It is very very very rare that I drink now. And when I do, I drink water before, during and after and don't down the alcohol like there is no tomorrow like I used to back in the day. I also have a HORRIBLE time trying to sleep during the night the very night I drink too.
Old 02-05-2008, 11:07 AM   #19 (permalink)

I can't function the next day after drinking either. It wasn't so bad when I was younger, but now my hangovers seem to last twice as long
Old 02-06-2008, 12:28 PM   #20 (permalink)

Does anybody get a hangover after only a few hours of drinking?
I find that if i have a few drinks, get slightly drunk, and start feeling good, after about 3 or 4 hours i start sobering up but immediately start getting a massive migraine.
I'm wonder if the anxiety is the problem, maybe im thinking too much about people around me or my life and am unable to fully relax when i drink, therefore causing a migraine.
Is there a chance i could be allergic to something in the alchohol? It doesn't seem that bad if i drink till i cant stand up anymore, ill just throw up like any normal person, go to bed, and have a regular hangover in the morning. But if i just have a few drinks i sober up quickly and the migraine happens. Especially with beer or mixed drinks. It doesn't seem to happen as often when drinking straight from a liqour bottle.
Can't seem to figure this one out.
ripewithdecay08 is offline   Reply With Quote