X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Secondary Disorders

Old 05-11-2011, 04:25 PM   #41 (permalink)

I do this too, but i do not pretend to be anyone else, i myself know i am moderately attractive, and i think i would be above average without all this acne (curse you acne)
I make up social situations in my head for an example -real example, What if i went outside and a girl my age who iv seen walking around was locked out of her house and i somehow went out and talked to her and then i invited her inside and we just had a nice talk and became friends and maybe even dated. every day almost i make up social situations.
Old 05-11-2011, 05:27 PM   #42 (permalink)

... You all leave this world to come back here better looking with more stuff people aspire toward here!!?! Why?

"Set me as a seal upon thine heart, as a seal upon thine arm: for love is strong as death; jealousy is cruel as the grave: the coals thereof are coals of fire, which hath a most vehement flame."- Song of Songs

"It was love that brought them back to life: the heart of one held inexhaustible sources of life for the heart of the other."- Dostoevsky
fredbloggs02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 05:28 PM   #43 (permalink)

I daydream endlessly. However I always imagine myself to be much more improved where I am ambitious and successful in life. I guess I envy a better life for myself, but I don't envy other people's lives. This constant daydreaming that I do, well my doc said it was my OCD kicking in. I felt that I have daydreamed years and years. I often wonder where it all went.
You don't need anyone, anything at all

Who's to say where the wind will take you
Who's to say what it is will break you
I don't know which way the wind will blow
Who's to know when the time has come around
Don't wanna see you cry
I know that this is not goodbye--Kite by U2

I have to remind myself that some birds aren't meant to be caged. Their feathers are just too bright--Morgan Freeman in Shawshank Redemption
rockyraccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 08:35 PM   #44 (permalink)

Neverland.

Did you ever read it or did your parents read it to you as a small boy or girl?

I can't believe noone here mentioned it.

I remember before I lay down to sleep with my sister every night hearing the great battles with Captain hook, carried out through the open window in pyjamas lol and finding lost dreamers the lost boys and a girl who in his dreams found herself also hopelessly lost in her own dreamland with him. It's a beautiful story! I remember in my dreams as a child being carried off by him, taking part in his battles with him, being Peter Pan unconsciously, I remember exploring neverland as though a bird sweeping down over a vast, luscious island full of colour with palm trees and flowers and in every ditch on that island lay another boy waiting to fight, to carry him away, carried there looking after my sister there. I remember a girl who explored there with me, with the group, who never really took shape and always vanished when I woke up. I remember the Lagoon most of all, where all the battles took place aboard Hook's pirate ship and vicious brigands with cutlesses pensive, waiting for battle, watched and caves where other dreamers hid hehe. We had to collect enough dreamers every night I remember to oppose Hook's tyrrany I was always left there in my bed in the morning afterwards, it made me think I could do anything and the battle was never over by sunrise.. But just think! That is the beauty of our lives, that freedom punctuated by such piercing sadness and waking. Without the waking SO MANY OF US ARE EXPERIENCING, where would be the dreaming? Where would our freedom be? They are always like that like that, sometimes we see them, other times don't. I carried this into waking hours, and at school. I even looked like Peter Pan, or that Alex Rider kid from Stormbreaker, one of the two, more so like a younger Peter Pan though

This is our religion, our legacy surely, it must be! The best part of this affliction!

"Set me as a seal upon thine heart, as a seal upon thine arm: for love is strong as death; jealousy is cruel as the grave: the coals thereof are coals of fire, which hath a most vehement flame."- Song of Songs

"It was love that brought them back to life: the heart of one held inexhaustible sources of life for the heart of the other."- Dostoevsky
fredbloggs02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 09:00 PM   #45 (permalink)

I daydream sometimes about what could have happen if I acted on something/took an opportunity that I passed up, because I know how not acting on opportunities causes me to miss out on great things.
dave twothree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 01:09 AM   #46 (permalink)

define: "too much"
bornwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 01:24 AM   #47 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaRibbon View Post
Interferes with daily life. Makes you procrastinate alot or makes you inattentive to things going on around you.
Still not "too much". At least not for my lifestyle.
Old 05-12-2011, 01:49 AM   #48 (permalink)

i believe i daydream way too much. practically every second of my life. im always by myself so i think and think way too much. to a point where i over think every little detail. like if someone said something to me i will over analyze what they said and put it into a negative. when i workout i daydream of becomming ripped and my friends come to visit me and say holy sht. then i think about them asking me all these questions. and then i think about what will we do when they come will we party because they are comming on a friends 21'st. and it keeps going.

so to keep myself from daydreaming all the time i catch myself doing it and shake my head so i could focus on whats infront of me because when you day dream you dont focus on anything except your thoughts. then i punch something around me and say to myself focus on what your doing.
it also gets in the way of exercising because when i think i lose focus and when i lose focus i cant do any more reps.
Old 05-12-2011, 01:56 AM   #49 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNiceGuy View Post
i believe i daydream way too much. practically every second of my life. im always by myself so i think and think way too much. to a point where i over think every little detail. like if someone said something to me i will over analyze what they said and put it into a negative. when i workout i daydream of becomming ripped and my friends come to visit me and say holy sht. then i think about them asking me all these questions. and then i think about what will we do when they come will we party because they are comming on a friends 21'st. and it keeps going.

so to keep myself from daydreaming all the time i catch myself doing it and shake my head so i could focus on whats infront of me because when you day dream you dont focus on anything except your thoughts. then i punch something around me and say to myself focus on what your doing.
it also gets in the way of exercising because when i think i lose focus and when i lose focus i cant do any more reps.
Cool story...
Old 05-12-2011, 07:14 AM   #50 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xi View Post
This is so weird but I can't help it. I always imagine myself to be another person. The person I created in my mind is so perfect in every aspect. (good looks, highly intelligent, have good life) And I always imagine every details in her daily life. Don't mistake that she's a person I love but instead that's the person I want to become and I pretend to be her in my mind. I feel so troubled cuz I think of her life during my lessons, my study time, my sleep and every moments.

I've created her since I was young but my imagination goes crazy in recently years and that wastes a lot of time and affects my study. I always think of my own imaginary world.

I dare not tell anyone about this except in here. I'm afraid that other people think I've mental disease.
Xi, check out my profile and I think you'll see you're not alone, hun.
I can relate to this because I do the same sort of thing you describe.
I used to feel like no one else would be like me and I was weird or mental for being like this, most of the time I would just continue living in my fantasy world because It's so much better than real life. I can control it and everything about it. No one can hurt or degrade me.
Just know you're not alone
Catherine Cavatica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 07:18 AM   #51 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xi View Post
Yes, I always act out too. My mother saw me acting out my f**king daydream once, and I told her I was doing excercise. How embarassing!
I used to pace up and down the street talking about my fantasy world. PPl had commented on it. And the worst was when I did it in high school!! I look back and wonder how I could have done that!! What was my mental state!!!
I feel humiliated about it even now many years later.
Old 05-12-2011, 07:23 AM   #52 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by unicorn View Post
n WOW!! I cant believe so many people do exactly the same thing i have been doing since I was 3!
I always used to think I was the only one, but now I can beg to differ!
But my question is if anyone knows what this disorder(it has to be one) is called and or any websites that talk about it cuz I would love to read more about it and how it can be stopped...

Please respond!!!!!!!!
I think it's a disorder called compulsive daydreaming/pretending google that.
I have a lot of info about my particular experience with this disorder as I am still suffering with it today. oh and my psychologist used the term above when I told her about what I was experiencing.
Old 05-12-2011, 07:29 AM   #53 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor_x9 View Post
Wow! Redbook just wrote an article on that a month or two ago!!! It was called "Living with the other woman." Apparently, millions of people do that! So stop feeling crazy. You aren't!

And yes, I do it too. . .I daydream about being her all day. The friends I could make and the things I could say! I could make my jokes funny, instead of getting them all scrambled up like I usually do because I'm nervous. I could say hi back to people when they say hi to me, and then I could ask how they were doing and have a real conversation! *Sigh* And never have to worry that they didn't really want to be talking to me and were just being nice, because, hell, I'm perfect! Who WOULDN"T want to talk to me?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This is exactly like me!!!! Thank you Sailor for posting this
Old 05-12-2011, 08:29 AM   #54 (permalink)

I've always been a massive daydreamer. These days, probably around 7-8 hours a day or so; I even get up around my dorm and pace a lot, muttering dialogue and scenes to myself. I don't usually daydream about myself per se, though I've had those 'I'm a heroine/successful person etc' fantasies too - I tend to immerse myself in stories set in huge universes (paracosms) with tons of characters that I keep telling myself I'll write someday, if I can actually link the bits and pieces into some semblance of a coherent plot. I love creating stories in my head, but they tend to be quite cheesy and sappy so I'd rather not inflict them on the world, haha ;P

I've also always enjoyed escapist literature and manga/anime and TV shows. I don't think fantasies or escapist hobbies are wrong or anything, in fact I'd probably have committed suicide long ago if it weren't for the joy I get from my hobbies, but it's definitely true that they suggest that I'm not getting enough human contact; that I'm not living in the real world enough, that I'm avoiding growing up into an adult. During the more sociable periods of my life, I've fantasized a lot less - if only because I didn't have the time to. But it was also the case that I would think more about the 'real world', like job or school or my friends' issues, rather than retreat into escapist fantasies. My fantasy world is substantially more exciting, but it's also a way that I avoid the humdrum responsibilities that every adult is stuck facing.
saffyblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 09:34 PM   #55 (permalink)

Post Maladaptive Daydreaming

Daydreaming too much to a point where it interferes with your life or it becomes a problem to you is called Maladaptive Daydreaming. It is a disorder that has been proposed by researchers but is not officially listed as a disorder as yet as there is still not much research, so most doctors and therapists don't know about it. It seems to be a crossover between an addiction and a obsessive/compulsive behaviour. At this point there is no proper treatment known but cognitive therapy may be helpful.

All the best =)
RnfBga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 06:05 AM   #56 (permalink)

I still daydream every spare moment; I have friends in imaginationland who don't care how scaredy I am. I also get to be a hero over there
"I can't say."

A Tale of Two Cities
Addler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 11:40 AM   #57 (permalink)

Wow. This is so weird. I thought that I was the only one who did this.

I also have this perfect version of myself built up inside my own head - she's beautiful, funny, popular, witty, and loved. She has some traits that are similar to mine (i.e. smart, sarcastic, loves the same films, music, books), but others are completely different (i.e. brave, untroubled, easy-going). She looks somewhat like me, only a bit different (she has emerald green eyes - just like someone mentioned here previously, it's so odd! - and is way, way prettier). I've noticed that her life basically consists of various parts of my favourite books and films, and is far more exciting than any normal person's. Sometimes I picture her in the situations I'm in, only she reacts to them differently.

Sometimes I daydream through entire lessons at school while perfecting the world inside my head, and changing some pieces of dialogue or the way the characters look. All people in my world are beautiful (I wonder if that makes me an awfully shallow person), most of them are also kind and awesome and actually like the dream-me.

I've never acted out my daydreams, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip Fontaine View Post
In many of my daydreams (and thoughts in general), I tend to think in english (it's not my first language).

Does anyone do this?
I do that, too. Not so much in everyday thoughts as in daydreams. I've even noticed that I sometimes dream in English!
Eirene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 12:12 PM   #58 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarondiablo View Post
I do this too, but i do not pretend to be anyone else, i myself know i am moderately attractive, and i think i would be above average without all this acne (curse you acne)
I make up social situations in my head for an example -real example, What if i went outside and a girl my age who iv seen walking around was locked out of her house and i somehow went out and talked to her and then i invited her inside and we just had a nice talk and became friends and maybe even dated. every day almost i make up social situations.

Haha oh man I am the exact same as you. I do feel I am somewhat attractive, but I know that I am perhaps the 2nd choice guy... Basically, I am the type who is decent looking but just doesn't have that 'x' factor which girls desire. Because of this, I often spend time daydreaming. I day dream that I have darker hair and darker skin and that I am the one whom girls go over starting conversation with, I day dream that I am in situations where I don't need to impress girls solely through my personality and intelligence and that my looks will aid me.

How much daydreaming is good? It depends. If you find yourself day dreaming naturally, let it be. As for forced day dreaming, maybe do a slight bit every now and then.

I'm in the same boat as you. The way I'm going to go about it is by just being myself, and if daydreaming comes to me it comes. Daydreaming allows us to escape internal pain... but it also means you may miss out on opportunities in life and it distracts you from reaching your own full potential.
anthonyk101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 02:03 PM   #59 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eirene View Post
Wow. This is so weird. I thought that I was the only one who did this.

I also have this perfect version of myself built up inside my own head - she's beautiful, funny, popular, witty, and loved. She has some traits that are similar to mine (i.e. smart, sarcastic, loves the same films, music, books), but others are completely different (i.e. brave, untroubled, easy-going). She looks somewhat like me, only a bit different (she has emerald green eyes - just like someone mentioned here previously, it's so odd! - and is way, way prettier). I've noticed that her life basically consists of various parts of my favourite books and films, and is far more exciting than any normal person's. Sometimes I picture her in the situations I'm in, only she reacts to them differently.

Sometimes I daydream through entire lessons at school while perfecting the world inside my head, and changing some pieces of dialogue or the way the characters look. All people in my world are beautiful (I wonder if that makes me an awfully shallow person), most of them are also kind and awesome and actually like the dream-me.

I've never acted out my daydreams, though.
That's exactly how I am. Basically the girl in my head is who I would want to be. She's smart, quick witted, not afraid to speak her mind, pretty, confident, all that good stuff. I feel like my daydreams are mocking me..

Waiting for me to commence a conversation, one can wait rather a long wait.

I'm sorry. My responses are limited. You must ask the right questions.
pheonixrising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 04:11 PM   #60 (permalink)

First of all, I just have to go out and recommend that everyone on this forum either read the book or see the movie "Fight Club". It's pretty much what this is about.

On another note, I 'see' my 'daydreams' become real. For instance, I open up my hand and pretend that I'm ripping open the sky-- and it happens! Well, I think it happens-- and only for a moment. It's like I become my daydream: a millisecond of hallucination. Does anyone else have this? I'm afraid it's mild schizophrenia.