X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Secondary Disorders

Old 01-06-2009, 11:19 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Compulsive lying

One thing I noticed about myself is that I constantly lie, to people I know, to people I don't, about small things, and about big things. I don't know how I can stop myself. I seems like lying has become a second nature, and I just say whatever that makes me sound as pathetic as I am.

For serious stuff, I've pretty much fabricated my HS social life with my college friends, so I won't sound like the loser with no friends. I've also lied about having relationships in the past, which never happened, so I can get off the hook for having the stigma of being a virgin.

For smaller stuff, I just recently told my colleagues I was going to Osaka for Christmas, while I went to Paris/Milan. (I inititally WAS going to Osaka, but the plan changed, but I still told my colleagues I was going.... no idea why)

I'm not sure why I lie so much. As of now, there's nobody who knows I'm this socially inept. The closest is that my friend feels I'm a bite introverted. It's sad, since lying has become a second nature. Not only that, I feel like I have to maintain my lies now, since I can't tell anyone that I've never dated before, as other people would find out and realize that I've been lying the whole time.

I'm not sure what to do....
Alphataru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 01:12 AM   #2 (permalink)

I know somebody who created a fake job simply to pacify their in-laws who probably wouldn't take long-term unemployment too well. In that case I can see lying as being a valid method of dealing with the issue, since one doesn't have to see them much.

I tend to avoid lies. And it's not because I'm on some moral high horse. I'm just too lazy to keep lies alive. Once you tell a lie then you end up having to tell more lies to cover your previous lies. The truth may not be so pretty, but it's certainly easy to remember.
UltraShy is offline   Reply With Quote