Biting the inside of your cheeks - Social Anxiety Forum
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-16-2005, 12:16 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member
Biting the inside of your cheeks

Does anyone bite the inside of their cheeks when they are sleeping or bite their tongues? I noticed that I do this a lot when I am sleeping. Last night I kept on biting my tongue. Does anybody know why I do it?
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-16-2005, 01:15 AM
SAS Member
Yeah, I do it. There are two long scars running along the insides of both cheeks from where my teeth have gnawed on them over the last 20 years. It must happen in my sleep, since I'm not aware of doing it consciously. Can't say I really do it with my tongue, though I wouldn't worry about any of it unless you're constantly sore or bleeding. It doesn't show on the outside.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-16-2005, 02:20 PM
SAS Member
I have those long scars too. But I bite my cheeks when I'm awake as well as when asleep.
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-16-2005, 09:38 PM
SAS Member
I bite my cheeks a lot too while I sleep. I don't think I've ever bitten my tongue while asleep, but I do it by accident while I'm awake on a regular basis.

I’m always falling down the same hill, bamboo puncturing this skin
and nothing comes bleeding out of me just like a waterfall I’m drowning in
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-16-2005, 11:11 PM
Magnanimous carcinoma
I do. It's funny you started a thread on this. For the past few days, I've been biting the inside of my cheek. I stopped for a while before now, but now I can't stop. I keep feeling the taste of... well, how your inner cheek 'tastes' after it's bitten for a while, and I keep biting because of the taste. It's annoying.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-17-2005, 10:32 AM
I have a "scar"-like area on the inside of my mouth from biting it too much. I must have gotten it from the bruxism I have as a side-effect of Paxil. Thank goodness it doesn't hurt anymore, but I do remember drawing blood a few times.

You are a success story waiting to happen!
Live and let live VACUUMS more than a Hoover....
Live and HELP live is better!

(troll activity on the increase)

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-18-2005, 04:53 PM
SAS Member
I've been doing that my whole life. I used to think I was the only one who did, because people would sometimes catch me doing it and ask what the hell I was doing.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-23-2005, 08:31 AM
SAS Veteran
I clench my teeth mostly when I sleep,and I think I have TMJ-but anyway I also bite the inside of my mouth and it is sore for days. Just painful and then I accidently bite it during the day because it is swelled.

"A simple man believes everything he hears; a clever man understands the need for proof." Proverbs 14:15-The New English Bible
'O the depth of God's richness and wisdom and knowledge! How unsearchable his judgements are and past tracing out his ways are!'-Romans 11:33
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-23-2005, 09:33 AM
SAS Member
I don't even do it in my sleep, I do it awake, out of bordom (although I can't say I've ever scarred myself doing it) I mess around with my hair a occationally as well, for no apparent reason.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-28-2015, 03:20 PM
SAS Member

I personally have got TMJ so i went to the chiropractor who noticed that i too have scars and cuts on the inside of my cheeks where i had been biting my cheeks in the night. She recomended i get a bite guard from the dentist and this could help this. So far i think it has helped both my TMJ and biting my cheeks. I hope this helps
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-28-2015, 03:23 PM
SAS Member
i wake up in such agony because of this, it's worse on my tongue D; my dentist always tells me off for it. but i also suffer from migraines and those can be linked to grinding teeth in your sleep; maybe we are just heavily jawed haha
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-29-2015, 03:24 AM
I used to gently chew on the inside of my cheeks when I was much younger. It didn't hurt, it was soothing. I eventually broke the habit though because it's obviously not doing the inside of your mouth any good.

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-29-2015, 03:46 AM
SAS Member
This is an old thread but yes, I do that. It's a habit for me. Sometimes I forget it and do nothing, my inner cheeks heal but later, I start doing it so bad that my inner cheeks start bleeding. It's annoying and I sometimes can't stop myself. (I do that while I am awake)
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-29-2015, 10:12 AM
SAS Member
Thought I was the only one that did this. I'm been doing it since I was a kid and I'm not sure why. I tend to do it when I'm thinking and don't even realise half the time.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-29-2015, 02:30 PM
I used to bite my tongue when I was a kid(while awake). I quit when I developed a new obsessive behavior(cracking my joints). I think it's a way to release anxiety. I've had all sorts of bad habits.

that's what she said
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-29-2015, 03:01 PM
SAS Member
Yep, I used to bite my cheeks and pick my moles off.. Fortunately I've grown out of it.

I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then.

― Lewis Carroll
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-29-2015, 07:14 PM
SAS Member
Yeah I do this often, when getting anxious while lost in thought. I suppose it is considered a nervous habit
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-29-2015, 09:36 PM
SAS Member
I only bite on the inside of my left cheek. I'm not sure why? O_o I also clench my teeth a lot during the day.

For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. - John 3:16
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-02-2015, 12:02 PM
SAS Member
I don't bite my tongue, but I've been biting the inside of my cheeks and front of my mouth for 19 years. Every little piece of flesh ripped off is like a small victory, and more points if it hurts a little. I love the blood from it, no clue why. I feel satisfied chewing the little pieces between my front teeth and sucking as much blood out of the wound that i can. Usually my mouth forms this loose white skin over it the next day, and i repeat the process. I do it when I'm awake only, but it's frequently an unconscious process that I do all day. I have scars from it, and the corners of the inside of my mouth are hardened a bit. I grind my teeth at night for so long that my molars are worn down, and I can't fall asleep with a mouth guard. I do have some tmj from breaking both sides of my jaw when I was 8. I clench my teeth a lot, and chewing gum helps relieve the tension when I've nothing left to chew in my mouth for the day without causing serious damage. Then I start picking my lips. Everyday... How do you stop something that you don't even realize you're doing most of the time when you also enjoy the sensation? Once in a while I cause a sore that swells and becomes painful for a week, but when it's healed, I start all over.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-02-2015, 05:49 PM
SAS Member
Sometimes I bite the sides of my mouth if I'm nervous or something. I occasionally bite my tongue by accident, but never on purpose. I used to also chew on the skin on each side of my fingernails, I haven't done that in years though.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page