X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Secondary Disorders

Old 08-18-2011, 11:03 PM   #1 (permalink)

Question Always getting nauseous when leaving the house?

I've had this problem for awhile, and it's kind of embarrassing.. but i'd thought i'd share and ask why this happens or if anyone else has similar experiences..

Whenever I leave to anywhere.. friends house, walmart, school, etc. I start worrying, and thinking 'what if i get sick and have to go home!' or 'What if i can't find a bathroom when i need one ASAP!'

Let me tell you about my experience at Warped Tour. On the 45 minute drive there, I started feeling sick, because I was worrying so much. So I said I have to go to the bathroom now! So we stopped at walgreens, right when i walked in the feeling went away, felt fine. So I went back in the car, a few mins later I started feeling sick again, I just tried to ignore it until we got there. When we got there I totally ruined my boyfriends experience because I dragged him near the bathroom with me about 6 times during the whole time we were there. I also ruined Prom by worrying myself sick.. we left early.. Same with the Homecoming dance.

And about a month ago, we went to TGIF restaurant, well i was fine on the drive there, I was fine when we walked in. When I got my food is when i started worrying but i kept it under control. Then suddenly it just felt like I was drowning in anxiety, i'm not even sure what i was so scared of, but I started feeling nauseous & when we got into the parking lot I nearly threw up. For about 10 mins of the drive back home I felt terribly sick. I never had that happen before? Was that a panic attack?..

Anyways, whenever I try to have fun or get out.. i always worry myself sick from worry about getting sick..

How do I overcome this? Or what causes this? Has anyone had similar experiences...? Or am I just a freak, haha.
xTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 11:13 PM   #2 (permalink)

See your doctor bout this and see if you can ask him to let you try some antiemetic/anxiolytic such as Hydroxyzine to take as needed which should solve both problems, your situational anxiety/nausea.
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."”
--Isaac Asimov

Quitting while you are ahead isn't the same thing as quitting; lesser known fact
Noca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 11:13 PM   #3 (permalink)

I get panic attacks and heavy oppressive feeling. But no nausea.
Bloody Pit Of Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 11:48 PM   #4 (permalink)

How interesting.... I've heard anxiety/poor mental health can actually cause physical ailments and such, but I don't know about nausea... I'm just saying but, whenever I have a panic attack my head and stomach hurt really bad.

Maybe it's just simple anxiety? Who knows though...

Whenever I go outside my anxiety rises cause I feel as if people are looking at me, I'm just saying it's a possibility.
Marakunda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 12:11 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylaishot View Post
How interesting.... I've heard anxiety/poor mental health can actually cause physical ailments and such, but I don't know about nausea... I'm just saying but, whenever I have a panic attack my head and stomach hurt really bad.

Maybe it's just simple anxiety? Who knows though...

Whenever I go outside my anxiety rises cause I feel as if people are looking at me, I'm just saying it's a possibility.
yeah, anxiety can easily cause nausea.
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."”
--Isaac Asimov

Quitting while you are ahead isn't the same thing as quitting; lesser known fact
Noca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 11:22 AM   #6 (permalink)

I don't know if my nausea is caused by the same thing as yours but I get REALLY dizzy and tired and nasious (spelling? anyone?) when my anxiety goes up - even just from leaving work after a full day my head is spinning by the time I get home.

The best thing to do is just relax as best as you can. I assume it's my body's "fright or flight" reaction sort of coming through when it doesn't need to and my mind just gets overloaded, you know?
OldSchoolSkater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 12:41 PM   #7 (permalink)

Yep, panic attacks. I have the same problem. Xanax to the rescue.
velocicaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 12:55 PM   #8 (permalink)

I'm the exact same way you are.. I heard theres medicine though thats supposed to calm you. My dad takes something for his SA that calms him whenever he goes somewhere where he knows there will be a lot of people. I forget what he takes though.. Plus I'm scared to take medicine or see anyone about it. But anyways.. I get nausea to. My stomach starts twisting and I feel like I have to use the restroom or throw up. Nowadays I'm bad about actually doing so. I just stay at home mainly nowadays.. Last time I was really anywhere public was about a month ago.
Jinxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 12:58 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insecure View Post
I'm the exact same way you are.. I heard theres medicine though thats supposed to calm you. My dad takes something for his SA that calms him whenever he goes somewhere where he knows there will be a lot of people. I forget what he takes though.. Plus I'm scared to take medicine or see anyone about it. But anyways.. I get nausea to. My stomach starts twisting and I feel like I have to use the restroom or throw up. Nowadays I'm bad about actually doing so. I just stay at home mainly nowadays.. Last time I was really anywhere public was about a month ago.
I'm so glad there is someone else just like me! Well not really, lol, i'm sorry you have to go through this too. I'm also afraid to take medication or see anyone about it.
Old 08-19-2011, 03:10 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xTaylor View Post
I'm so glad there is someone else just like me! Well not really, lol, i'm sorry you have to go through this too. I'm also afraid to take medication or see anyone about it.
lol. Yeah I hate that we have to go through stuff like this but it is great to hear from someone else that knows how it feels. I was starting to feel like an alien on the wrong planet for a bit. :P
Jinxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 03:46 PM   #11 (permalink)

unfortunatly it sounds like you have agoraphobia, same as me, you worry about throwing up, fainting, being embarassed etc.. it can be a combination of anxietys and social anxiety is in agoraphobia to. what the people said above is slightly incorrect. google agoraphobia and i am sure you can relate to the symptoms. the anxiety u felt from being sick is a panic attack.
melpa04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 05:00 PM   #12 (permalink)

Yeah I've had this for years, most mornings before I leave the house I feel like I have to throw up. A couple of years ago I'd actually throw up most mornings from anxiety. My stomach's always messed up from stress. I mentioned it to my doctor and he just said how the first things anxiety affects is the stomach.
Old 08-19-2011, 05:29 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delicate View Post
Yeah I've had this for years, most mornings before I leave the house I feel like I have to throw up. A couple of years ago I'd actually throw up most mornings from anxiety. My stomach's always messed up from stress. I mentioned it to my doctor and he just said how the first things anxiety affects is the stomach.
That's how i feel in the morning before i leave somewhere too, I used to throw up every night though instead of mornings a few years ago!
Old 08-20-2011, 02:14 PM   #14 (permalink)

That sucks I'm sorry . Have you been to a doctor about anxiety? I think you should if you haven't.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:31 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
That sucks I'm sorry . Have you been to a doctor about anxiety? I think you should if you haven't.
No, well kind of, when i tried to tell him once a few years ago he just told me i need to get out more.
Old 08-25-2011, 02:46 AM   #16 (permalink)

I get the nausea, BAD! It's got so bad that when I have to go out I won't eat for a while beforehand because eating makes me feel even sicker.
It's my main anxiety symptom really.
Wish I knew had to fix it!
Old 08-25-2011, 04:18 AM   #17 (permalink)

I have this problem sometimes, too. I'm a pretty nauseous person in general.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr House View Post
See your doctor bout this and see if you can
ask him to let you try some antiemetic/anxiolytic such as Hydroxyzine to take as needed which should solve both problems, your situational anxiety/nausea.
I wish I could take hydroxyzine. But it makes me sleep for days =(
pita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 04:40 AM   #18 (permalink)

My digestive system just shuts down once it's time to go somewhere potentially stressful.
Old 08-25-2011, 04:54 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:

Every morning I would get extremely nauseous before leaving for university. I'd consider it an enormous victory if I didn't make a trip here:

Some mornings were more unforgiving than others.

I've hurled walking in to campus before. It's really hard to surreptitiously conceal it when the university grounds are peppered with roaming students.
Old 08-25-2011, 06:01 AM   #20 (permalink)

Smile hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by xTaylor View Post
I've had this problem for awhile, and it's kind of embarrassing.. but i'd thought i'd share and ask why this happens or if anyone else has similar experiences..

Whenever I leave to anywhere.. friends house, walmart, school, etc. I start worrying, and thinking 'what if i get sick and have to go home!' or 'What if i can't find a bathroom when i need one ASAP!'

Let me tell you about my experience at Warped Tour. On the 45 minute drive there, I started feeling sick, because I was worrying so much. So I said I have to go to the bathroom now! So we stopped at walgreens, right when i walked in the feeling went away, felt fine. So I went back in the car, a few mins later I started feeling sick again, I just tried to ignore it until we got there. When we got there I totally ruined my boyfriends experience because I dragged him near the bathroom with me about 6 times during the whole time we were there. I also ruined Prom by worrying myself sick.. we left early.. Same with the Homecoming dance.

And about a month ago, we went to TGIF restaurant, well i was fine on the drive there, I was fine when we walked in. When I got my food is when i started worrying but i kept it under control. Then suddenly it just felt like I was drowning in anxiety, i'm not even sure what i was so scared of, but I started feeling nauseous & when we got into the parking lot I nearly threw up. For about 10 mins of the drive back home I felt terribly sick. I never had that happen before? Was that a panic attack?..

Anyways, whenever I try to have fun or get out.. i always worry myself sick from worry about getting sick..

How do I overcome this? Or what causes this? Has anyone had similar experiences...? Or am I just a freak, haha.

First of all you are not a freak. One of the reason we have social anixety is becuase we see ourselves as "freaks." We overexaggerate small things and overanalyze. You have to learn to change your thinking , and over a few months your disorder will get much better. Also learn to accept yourself being anxious instead of fighting it so much. I've noticed that fish oil seems to help alot along with steady cardio excercise. Take small steps it will get better in time I guarantee you.
SherlockHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote