X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Controversial Discussion > Society & Culture

Old 07-24-2010, 09:36 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Why do poor people have so many kids?

Does anyone know why? This is what continues the cycle of poverty in my opinion. It also makes it hard to feel bad for them. One of the cable news networks profiled some of the "working poor" who have been unemployed for a long time. As one lady from Ohio began to tell her story, I felt bad for her as she talked about her situation. Then, it was mentioned that she was 21 and had 3 kids. I feel for the kids, but I'm not surprised she's poor and will always be poor given those circumstances. I thought about it and, just about anyone is going to be poor their entire life if they have 3 kids at the age of 21 unless they have rich parents.

So why do they do it??

Lack of education on what a child costs?

Lack of contraception?

I don't know what else the reason could be....there are morning after pills so I would think maybe they just need access to that??
Old 07-24-2010, 09:43 AM   #2 (permalink)

it seems likely that they don't have access to sex education or methods of contraception. especially in places like the southern US, where most schools teach abstinence only.
Old 07-24-2010, 09:54 AM   #3 (permalink)

Ya a lack of education in many areas of life plays a major role here, it could also have to so with getting financial support

In developing countries children are seen to be able to help the family for work and provide an income, which is why getting some of these children into education is hard as parents do no allow it leaving a cycle.

What other people think of you is none of your business

L-O-S-E Y-O-U-R-S-E-L-F
Lasair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 10:13 AM   #4 (permalink)
kos

Ya, I'm not sure why you would plan on having a kid so young. Once you have a kid you have to put your personal goals and interests on hold for atleast 18 years. It seems like human beings have great potential, but they waste a vast amount of time caring for a kid when they could be pouring all their energy and concentration into their goals or hobbies.

On the other hand, having a kid may be the greatest thing that could ever happen to someone regardless of financial situation or age. You have to be there for your kid no matter what. So that unconditional giving no matter what, which I feel is one of the most basic, important, spiritual principles of a way to live, totally influences every aspect of your life for the greater good.

I'm fence sitting on this one.
kos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 10:45 AM   #5 (permalink)

Don't they receive more money in their welfare check if they have more kids, and also food stamps.

And if they're single more money?
SOME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 10:53 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOME View Post
Don't they receive more money in their welfare check if they have more kids, and also food stamps.
True but it doesn't completely offset the cost of the kid.

I think a large part of it is less access to contraception. Also, its sorta an endless cycle. Their parents had them really young, so that is all they know. They are also less likely to go to college or value education (since they don't see themselves as being able to go to college and their parents didn't).

A neurotic is a man who builds a castle in the air. A psychotic is the man who lives in it. A psychiatrist is the man who collects the rent. ~Jerome Lawrence

The better I get to know men, the more I find myself loving dogs. ~Charles de Gaulle
Whitney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 11:03 AM   #7 (permalink)

I live in the South and I work directly with the people you are talking about through a small local non-profit organizaton... the schools do not teach abstinence only... condoms are everywhere for free (schools, health departments and even some churches) and RU486 is available also... Food Stamps do NOT cover anything other than food (no diapers, toilet paper, feminine products, paper towels, cleaning supplies or other non-food items) - very few of these people receive a cash check because now there are a lot of work and training requirements in order to get a cash check and most of them do not or will not bother. They have babies often because they are irresponsible and lazy, most are from large families and they just think this is the way it has been and should be, often they have several kids so that there will be more kids to take care of them when they get older, sometimes it is because they are addicted to the unconditional love that a baby provides to them and once their kids reach toddlerhood they want another baby to dote on and get attention through. Often young girls are having babies because they have no unconditional love at home and seek a way to find that. It's sad but it's a fact that every nation and corner of the world struggles with - not just The South-Eastern U.S. I think there is also a boredom factor there... with little opportunity and too much time kids do what feels good and what will distract them from their mundane boring or painful lives... sex, drugs, alcohol - whatever it takes... boys want sex and young girls want to feel wanted, needed and loved and will do anything to achieve that. It's sad but ....
caflme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 01:06 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by caflme View Post
I live in the South and I work directly with the people you are talking about through a small local non-profit organizaton... the schools do not teach abstinence only... condoms are everywhere for free (schools, health departments and even some churches) and RU486 is available also... Food Stamps do NOT cover anything other than food (no diapers, toilet paper, feminine products, paper towels, cleaning supplies or other non-food items) - very few of these people receive a cash check because now there are a lot of work and training requirements in order to get a cash check and most of them do not or will not bother. They have babies often because they are irresponsible and lazy, most are from large families and they just think this is the way it has been and should be, often they have several kids so that there will be more kids to take care of them when they get older, sometimes it is because they are addicted to the unconditional love that a baby provides to them and once their kids reach toddlerhood they want another baby to dote on and get attention through. Often young girls are having babies because they have no unconditional love at home and seek a way to find that. It's sad but it's a fact that every nation and corner of the world struggles with - not just The South-Eastern U.S. I think there is also a boredom factor there... with little opportunity and too much time kids do what feels good and what will distract them from their mundane boring or painful lives... sex, drugs, alcohol - whatever it takes... boys want sex and young girls want to feel wanted, needed and loved and will do anything to achieve that. It's sad but ....
Wow, it's not like I didn't know this but reading that almost made me cry

What other people think of you is none of your business

L-O-S-E Y-O-U-R-S-E-L-F
Lasair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 01:22 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhanniffy View Post
Wow, it's not like I didn't know this but reading that almost made me cry

No doubt. Reminds me of a story I read a story about a woman complaining that the government has come to evict her, because she has been scquating for 18 years on government property.

And then she goes onto a tirade about "what am I supposed to do with my 9 children now ?"
I do not want to blame the children, but how can a woman ever seriously expect to be independent, or to not be poor if she allows herself to have 9 children ???

I don't know where this mentality of "the more children i have the better" comes from, but it needs to stop. It makes no sense and is counter-productive.
What I find so frustrating is, the richer kids always have less siblings, and the poorer kids always have more siblings.

Circumstances are working to make it harder for the poorer children. It is hard enough to be born to a poor single mother, you shouldn't have to find yourself sharing what little you have with 10 brothers & sisters !!!
VIncymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 02:25 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitney View Post
I think a large part of it is less access to contraception. Also, its sorta an endless cycle. Their parents had them really young, so that is all they know. They are also less likely to go to college or value education (since they don't see themselves as being able to go to college and their parents didn't).
Yes, I think growing up in an environment where your parents had you young, your cousins had kids young, and so on, really does it and the idea of having a child young isn't that big of a deal to you.
The drop-out rates for schools in poor neighbourhoods is incredibly high, so it's uncommon for those kids to have plans on earning a masters or phd, or even just going to university. Not to mention how incredibly expensive post-secondary school costs. When you have little prospects or plans, having a kid won't set them back in life as it would for someone who has set plans for university or college and a goal for a particular profession.

It's sad since it's an ongoing cycle and it's hard to break or get out of.
Also I wonder how many of those poor people who have too many kids are strict christians and believe that every sperm is precious (?) and who preach against the use of condoms. Or at least hear that a lot where they are.
nothing to fear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 02:54 PM   #11 (permalink)

In regards to poor people in developing countries having babies I think it has to do with chances, at least to some aspect. Sure some of them are bored and have nothing better to do, but the difference between developing and developed are are the developed tend to have a few children, but put all their resources into raising them well and making them sucessful. The poor people will do their best, encourage family and closeness, and hope for as many of them to do as well as possible. Not all of them will survive, but on the other hand, maybe one out of the lot of them could be successful.

As for why some Americans have lots of children, I was led to believe they were following the crowd, teenage mums and all that.

Judi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 05:55 PM   #12 (permalink)

Those with money have to pay for their kids and at a cost of $200K each they might choose to limit how many they have.

Those with no money don't have to worry about cost as the government will be picking up the bill. Zero economic incentive to stop. Want ten, have ten as you can afford it when the government pays. Go for a baker's dozen if you feel like it. They're FREE (to the parent with no money at least).

Dare to suggest those who can't afford kids refrain from having kids and you'll be compared to Hitler and be accused of supporting forced abortions, ect...
UltraShy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 07:51 PM   #13 (permalink)

Nothing better to look forward to or concentrate on. The people I know who have little money and lots of kids got the exact same education as the rest of us. Many even grew up on farms and probably had sex ed sooner and more complete than most. They just were either bad in school or had no desire to accomplish a lot with their lives. Instead they wanted their lives to revolve around children. A lot of women in that situation are also happy to be housewives doing nothing but caring for the kids. A girl I hung out with (wouldn't call her a friend) from junior high through high school couldn't do well in school, didn't want to go to college, and only accomplished a few short term minimum wage jobs. So she made her goal in life to be the first one married and pregnant out of our class. 5 children and 3 husband's later she found a guy who is quite happy to be the only one working while living in a trailer without hot water and no insurance as they concentrate on making as many children as possible.

I'm sure some of it is learned from their parents and relatives who also probably place having lots of kids over having a college education or high paying job but I think some of it is kind of like the pet hoarders. They keep wanting to raise more puppies, kittens, rabbits, guinea pigs, whatever... To the point it becomes an obsession and they don't even realize they are running out of money and/or space as well as going beyond what they can take care of. There are a lot of reasons for it like wanting something to love you unconditionally, needing something to take care of, boredom, or maybe just wanting something cute to haul around. It's usually considered the result of a mental illness or psychological problem.

http://www.ladyjayes.com/bringonrain.html
Akane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 08:02 PM   #14 (permalink)

poor people have low IQ, well, actually their low IQ makes them poor
and when someone has a low IQ they succumb to pure instincts like reproducing
Some Russian Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 08:29 PM   #15 (permalink)

It's because they want to feel "special". Well, not special, but like everyone else. Anyone can reproduce, old people, RICH people, celebrities. It's the one thing that unites everyone. (well people who have children).
ScorpioGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 08:51 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by myhalo123 View Post
Wow.
well, I have low IQ too, and I'm poor
I want to reproduce too (well the act of reproducing is what interest me the most) but noone willing to help coz girls don't want me
Some Russian Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 11:39 PM   #17 (permalink)

Perhaps its because poor decision making runs in their family? People often grow up watching their parents, and therefore develop into them and take their bad habits. For instance, someone would drop out of school too soon, end up having a kid, get into drugs, etc. and have no way of paying for anything, so the kid grows up with the wrong values. Careless parents bring up careless children most times. And so its possible they're the ones having more children. More unprotected sex, more one night stands, more lovers, its a vicious cycle. Plus if you're poor, having kids probably feels right, its something thats their own, and might make them even feel important! I'm not sure though, just some thoughts.
Old 07-25-2010, 01:19 AM   #18 (permalink)

Because sex is one of lifes pleasures that doesnt cost money.
nemesis1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 08:20 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraShy View Post
Those with money have to pay for their kids and at a cost of $200K each they might choose to limit how many they have.

Those with no money don't have to worry about cost as the government will be picking up the bill. Zero economic incentive to stop. Want ten, have ten as you can afford it when the government pays. Go for a baker's dozen if you feel like it. They're FREE (to the parent with no money at least).

Dare to suggest those who can't afford kids refrain from having kids and you'll be compared to Hitler and be accused of supporting forced abortions, ect...

I asked this question on Yahoo Answers, and someone responded by saying " do you want to enforce a 1 child policy like China ?"

I hate such knee-jerk reactions. My answer is no, we should not need a 1 child policy like China. We should not have to enforce common-sense !

I have a nephew 5 years younger than me, born to a teen mother. Do you know when she had her second child ? She had her second child when she was 27, almost 15 years later.

Sure, this woman and my brother broke up. Sure this woman had other boyfriends after my brother . But she had the presence of mind to not compound her ( and her son's ) problems by having another child too soon.

Thanks to the mother's foresight, what could have been a bad situation has become manageable. My now 14 y/o nephew visits his dad, has all his school books, and is living as a regular kid.

So when I see a poor beautiful young woman 30 years old with 8 children complaining about gov't aid .... I see a lack of fore-thought.
VIncymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 04:55 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis1 View Post
Because sex is one of lifes pleasures that doesnt cost money.
This presumes that sex automatically leads to kids. If this were true, porn stars would need a bus to transport their dozens of kids that no minivan could accommodate, seeing how they make a living having sex.

Does anyone really imagine that wealthy couples with few or no kids suffer from fertility issues or rarely/never engage in sex?
UltraShy is offline   Reply With Quote