X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Controversial Discussion > Society & Culture

Old 07-25-2012, 08:12 PM   #41 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrashtilDeath View Post
A Netflix employee.
Touche.
Peter Attis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:54 PM   #42 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Attis View Post
Because they make decent money and it's an honest living.

This is a really *******-ish thread.
I was just wondering... why they chose the **** smelling work over some other... less stressful on the olfactory nerves, so to speak

cashier for example
Some Russian Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 10:01 PM   #43 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Alchemist View Post
Because maybe they don't have the chance to go to college or get a higher paying job? I for one appreciate the work they do.
You actually think that it's college that makes people successful?
Old 07-25-2012, 10:25 PM   #44 (permalink)

To many people, including probably most on SAS, being a janitor is a far more promising option than being a cashier, working long lines of impatient people (frightening for us, stressful for anyone, and mindnumbingly tedious) a good number of which snarl at you about discounts, talk loudly on cell phones, treat you as subhuman, etc.

I've done both jobs and I would gladly take the role of janitor. You get to zone out, listen to music, and not deal with annoying people.

As for the pay, you can make 15-20+ an hour as a janitor at an institution. As a cleaner, I make considerably less, but significantly more than a cashier, which is typically minimum wage or just slightly above.

And I always take pride in my work, no matter what the job is.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:57 PM   #45 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Russian Guy View Post
I was just wondering... why they chose the **** smelling work over some other... less stressful on the olfactory nerves, so to speak

cashier for example
I'll be the first one to say this openly. You seem like a ****ty person. Why do you feel the need to denigrate people who do needed jobs?
Old 07-25-2012, 11:12 PM   #46 (permalink)

Quote:

cashier for example
Eventually the fumes you constantly smell will sort of deaden your smelling so it doesn't smell so bad (but you also have trouble smelling other things) and you would eventually get use to the smells.

Bam
FireIsTheCleanser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 11:38 PM   #47 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloze View Post
I'll be the first one to say this openly. You seem like a ****ty person. Why do you feel the need to denigrate people who do needed jobs?
well, sorry... all I wanted is to hear other people's opinion, that's all
Old 07-26-2012, 01:46 AM   #48 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeNice View Post
You can insert any job there. How about a roofer? On a roof in 90+ degree heat?
-Roofers get to dress really casual -- often with no shirt. Shirtless isn't going to go over well at all even at the most laid back office on casual Fridays.

-Free sun tans.

Every job needs somebody to do it. Janitor is a job that doesn't require any education beyond HS, so no massive pile of student loans that will hang about your neck like an albatross till you're middle-aged.

My brother has more education that anyone you're likely to ever meet. He's tied for first place in terms of holding the most degrees ever awarded to anybody at UW-Madison. Many who are in 2nd place have no chance of ever topping his record seeing how they're dead.

Those who graduated from HS with him in the class of 1970 and immediately started a career as a janitor made vastly more money than he has ever earned. So in monetary terms being a janitor actually manages to beat a guy that has at least 2 bachelors degrees + an MBA + at least one other Master's + a law degree + ABD in three PhD programs. Despite being "retired" he continues to take French classes and is very proud of the fact that he's so fluent as to be mistaken for a French Canadian. All that education and the job he retired from at age 55 paid $3,000 a year. (Three Thousand -- I have to write it out otherwise it looks like I forgot some zeros.)

I suppose some people also enjoy a job that's very routine & doesn't require a great deal of thought. Our late brother who was a HS drop out said he enjoyed the routine nature of mowing lawns. It appealed to him even though the monotony of such a job would drive others insane. What some view as monotony is what others view as enjoyable predictability, and would be driven crazy by a job that required regularly having to come up with new ideas on how to deal with new challenges in uncharted territory. Things like a job in a research lab where one is working on the cutting edge doing things never previously done by anybody. Different jobs for different types of people.

This is a rare instance where I agree with Cloze. Janitors are needed and there's no reason they should be looked down upon.
UltraShy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 01:57 AM   #49 (permalink)

Quote:

cashier for example
Perhaps they have SA and dealing with the public as a cashier offends them far more than any smell one will come across as a janitor. You've likely noticed that of those on SAS who have jobs, they often have jobs where they work with things rather than people.
UltraShy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 02:36 AM   #50 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeilingStarer View Post
Low stress, left alone to do their thing etc. Some are just proud drop-outs, seeing careers as modern slavery and a waste of ones time on this Earth. They put in their labour for cash, "leave it at the office" and pursue other interests in life away from climbing the corporate ladder etc.
Sounds like me. I hate stress and stuff and I hate being chased after to work faster etc. Yet I'm about to get an training in something that has a stress..
Old 07-26-2012, 07:12 AM   #51 (permalink)

Quote:

cashier for example
Being a cashier comes with a high level of stress, interaction with ****ty customers and **** pay.

Quote:
You actually think that it's college that makes people successful?
Its hard to become a doctor, teacher, engineer, researcher, etc without a college degree.
Dark Alchemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 07:26 AM   #52 (permalink)

Quote:

cashier for example
I was a cashier for two years before I started cleaning. I wanted to rip people's heads off while I was a cashier. It's ten times more stressful dealing with the public than cleaning on your own. I listen to my music and clean. Yea the work sucks and it's hard but it's all I can get right now. I didn't go to college so employers look over me.
SoWrongItsRight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:08 AM   #53 (permalink)

Quote:
Do they like the smell of poop? Or are they just incapable of doing anything else ?
There are people with graduate degrees working at McDonalds in this economy >_>;
Old 07-27-2012, 12:50 PM   #54 (permalink)

While I was in high school there was a union strike in the city among custodians/janitors. They are a crucial part of the workforce. Whatever their reasons for choosing their job, I'm thankful someone is doing it.
Old 07-27-2012, 05:10 PM   #55 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Alchemist View Post
Being a cashier comes with a high level of stress, interaction with ****ty customers and **** pay.

Its hard to become a doctor, teacher, engineer, researcher, etc without a college degree.
What if one simply does not want to be a doctor... but just wants to start a small business ?
Old 07-27-2012, 08:17 PM   #56 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stylicho View Post
My sister does that when she's not working at the jail. She's pretty thorough too. Even cleans all the dirt off the ceiling fan blades by removing each one.
I have a tendency to just vacuum them. You can't see the dirt on the side of the blade that faces the ceiling, and even the side that is facing the ground is kind of hard to make out if the ceiling is high enough. If someone asked me to remove them and clean them I'd do it, and if they are really nasty and greasy that just makes it easier. For now I'll stick with just dusting or vacuuming then.
BeNice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:19 PM   #57 (permalink)

Why would people want to work period? Cleaning is a very respectable job in my eyes.
SomebodyWakeME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:38 PM   #58 (permalink)

Anybody knows how much a janitor makes in hospital ?
Old 07-27-2012, 08:45 PM   #59 (permalink)

Between $8 and $14 and hour at the hospital I used to work at. But they also had health insurance - which is a pretty big deal the way things work in the US.
Old 07-27-2012, 09:45 PM   #60 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarpia View Post
Between $8 and $14 and hour at the hospital I used to work at. But they also had health insurance - which is a pretty big deal the way things work in the US.
Same as one in geek squad at best buy makes?