01-28-2008, 06:09 PM
Join Date: Feb 2006
Which Ethical philosophies are better and why?
This was originally posted by Darth Wong on the TWCentre forums.
Question: Why is it wrong to murder someone?
1. Because the Bible/Talmud/Koran says so (Christianity, Judaism, Islam)
2. Because it is harmful, and creates bad karma (Hinduism)
3. Because it violates the victim's human rights (Humanism)
4. Because if everybody thought it was OK to commit murder, society would fall apart (Universalism, Duty Ethics)
5. Because you should treat others as you would have them treat you (Confucianism)
6. Because murder is caused by having too much anger and not enough sympathy (Buddhism, Taoism, Aristotle's Golden Mean)
7. Because murder creates suffering and destroys pleasure/utility (Utilitarianism)
8. Because I will go to jail if I murder someone (Objectivism, aka "enlightened self interest")
9. Because it is not socially acceptable in your culture (Social Relativism)
10. Because it's illegal (Legalism)
11. Because the mofo's ****** will bust a cap in yo *** (Gangsta)
12. Because none of you understand Timecube (WTF?)
He got a bit daft with #11 and #12 but he was just messing around. Anyway, see the subject line! Which Ethical philosophies are better and why?