X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Controversial Discussion > Society & Culture

Old 08-13-2013, 06:46 PM   #1 (permalink)

Arrow Swiss shop clerk says Oprah's racism claims are baloney

http://www.today.com/entertainment/o...erk-6C10904070

Oprah racism claims 'absolutely untrue' and a 'horror,' says Swiss shop clerk

Randee Dawn TODAY contributor

Oprah Winfrey's disturbing story from last Friday about being told by a Swiss store's shop assistant that a handbag she wanted to look at was something she could not afford, is being called "untrue" by the sales clerk in question.

The sales clerk, whose name was only given as "Adriana N." told the Swiss newspaper SonntagsBlick that Winfrey's story "absolutely untrue."
"I even asked her if she wanted to take a closer look at the bag. Mrs. (sic) Winfrey looked around in the store again, but did not say anything further," Adriana told the paper. "Then she went downstairs with her companion. My colleague held the door open for them. They were not even five minutes in our store."

As Winfrey told the story recently to both Entertainment Tonight and Larry King, she wanted to look at a $38,000 handbag but was reportedly told it was "too expensive" for her. According to Winfrey, the clerk then opted to show her a cheaper line of handbags. Winfrey took offense, presuming that she was being offered less-expensive bags because she was black.

"That's not true," Adriana said. "That is absurd. I would never say anything like that to a customer."

The store was later revealed as Trois Pomme, in Zurich. The owner of the chain of stores, Trudy Götz, apologized publicly to Winfrey, as did the Swiss tourism office.

The accusation of racism has turned Adriana's world upside-down, she said. "I have not been able to sleep for days. I feel as if I was in the middle of a hurricane. Totally powerless, also helpless. What is happening is horror."

Winfrey and Adriana clearly have differing opinions about what happened in that store visit, not just in outcome, but details. For one thing, Winfrey told Entertainment Tonight that she had left her hotel and gone to the store alone: "It's just me, by myself (out shopping); Stedman (Graham, Winfrey's longtime companion) wasn't there, and Gayle (King, Winfrey's friend) was not there, no friends, I'm out by myself."

But Adriana is clear: Winfrey "was accompanied by a friend, it might also have been her bodyguard, I don't know. He held the door open for her."
Regardless, Adriana says she doesn't understand why Winfrey is talking about the encounter. "She is so powerful and I am only a salesperson. I did not harm anyone. I also don't understand why she has to exploit this so broadly on TV."

Adriana, who says she is Italian, did not recognize Winfrey when she entered the store, but says that "would not have made a difference. We try really hard to meet all people with the same respect and to treat everybody equal. If somebody asks me to show an item, I always present it."

Meanwhile, while on the red carpet for a screening of "Lee Daniels' The Butler" Monday, Winfrey spoke about the surprising way the anecdote had become headline news. "I'm really sorry that it got blown up," she said. "I purposefully did not mention the name of the store. I'm sorry that I said it was Switzerland."
Cletis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 06:54 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
she wanted to look at a $38,000 handbag
Spending on a handbag what could comfortably feed 20 people for a year.

I guess it could have been worse -- she could have been buying an item for her dog, or something...

Quote:
Regardless, Adriana says she doesn't understand why Winfrey is talking about the encounter. "She is so powerful and I am only a salesperson. I did not harm anyone. I also don't understand why she has to exploit this so broadly on TV."
Her show's been off the air for a while. She has to get her name in the media somehow.

Just Lurking is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 07:45 PM   #3 (permalink)

http://www.youtube.com/v/TOQP3czk6nY
TicklemeRingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:36 PM   #4 (permalink)

She apologized and admitted she was wrong.

Next story.
musiclover55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:38 PM   #5 (permalink)

Location: Beloved son of Aztlan, living in these great United States

Oprah pulling the race card? Isn't that what she does on the weekends?
I have always thought of the US as a place in the divine scheme of things that was set aside as a promised land...the price of admission was very simple the means of selection was very simple as to how this land should be populated. Any place in the world and any person from those places any person with the courage with the desire to tear up their roots to strive for freedom to attempt, dare to live in a strange and foreign place to travel halfway across the world was welcome here- Ronald Reagan
nubly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 01:12 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Lurking View Post
Spending on a handbag what could comfortably feed 20 people for a year.
What a fat trollop. The issue isn't about racism. The issue is why on Earth would you spend that much money on a stupid bag when there are millions of people struggling everyday to afford basic necessities. Ugh I want to smack her face
HappyFriday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 02:08 AM   #7 (permalink)

^Indeed. If she had any contact with reality she would shy away from mentioning the bag-story and its worth, on account of how much it costs when so many other people are dirt-poor :/

Btw: i doubt many people, black, white, asian etc can afford to spend 40K on a bag, so even if the employee said something like that (which seems unlikely) it might have meant other things.
Mersault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 03:40 AM   #8 (permalink)

Ha, her race card backfired.
Attempting to buy that bag in the first place was the real atrocity.
Rubixkoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 03:58 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mersault View Post
^Indeed. If she had any contact with reality she would shy away from mentioning the bag-story and its worth, on account of how much it costs when so many other people are dirt-poor :/

Btw: i doubt many people, black, white, asian etc can afford to spend 40K on a bag, so even if the employee said something like that (which seems unlikely) it might have meant other things.
Wait a minute. So tell me again, why can't Oprah spend own her money again ? Why exactly should Oprah feel guilty for buying a $38, 000.00 handbag ? - she certainly isn't using tax payer money to buy it.

I will never understand people you know. We talk about capitalism, and all want to succeed. But when someone else succeeds we want to rag on them for being successful ?

People tend to think my family is richer than it actually is. So when they see our cheap car they say "the X___ family is being cheap"

I don't think Oprah should apologize. If this store in Zurich really sells such expensive things, then the store clerks should expect that anyone that enters has the cash to ask for whatever ridiculously priced item they want. If you think the items on your shelf are too expensive to sell, then don't sell them.
VIncymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 04:05 AM   #10 (permalink)

Yeah, well given how many people are starving even in the western world now (including the US) it seems pretty logical to me to make fun of Oprah for being so opulent.
It's not like she is anything serious at any rate, just another celebrity with no distinction in education or other things of note.
Old 08-14-2013, 04:05 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIncymon View Post
why can't Oprah spend own her money again ?
She can spend it on whatever she wants. However, if I had that much money I would not spend it on such insignificant goods when they are people struggling to afford basic necessities.

So she can spend money and make it public. Then I have the right to judge her spending habits.

Quote:
Why exactly should Oprah feel guilty for buying a $38, 000.00 handbag ? - she certainly isn't using tax payer money to buy it.
Its pathetic complaining about something so insignificant. So what they told her she couldn't buy that handbag? No need to turn to the media, blow it out of proportion and make baseless accusations. Since she did all the three I can judge her and say she's an idiot.

I've had people call me all sorts of racist stuff but I never turn to the media.
Old 08-14-2013, 04:10 AM   #12 (permalink)

She probably went to the shop dressed very casually too (as in this pic from that same trip: )

Thinking a middle-aged, casually dressed person is not very likely to actually mean to pay 40K for a handbag, does not really strike me as that strange...
Old 08-14-2013, 04:13 AM   #13 (permalink)

The bag was intended to be a gift for another celebrity.
OtherBrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 07:04 AM   #14 (permalink)

Even if she didn't dress "fancy and wealthy enough", why is that a reason to shun a customer in your store? (I know that she didn't ignore her, but I can't think of another word so... Deal.)

"Don't judge a book by it's cover."
musiclover55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 07:14 AM   #15 (permalink)

Looking like you are poor due to your clothes/general body-shape could well be a reason to overlook a customer if the shop sells bags worth 40K dollars. Even if the queen of England went there, in similar clothing, and the employee did not know who she was, it is reasonable to expect the same thing to happen.
Old 08-14-2013, 07:48 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by musiclover55 View Post
She apologized and admitted she was wrong.

Next story.
she hasn't apologized for falsely accusing them of racism; she gave a very insincere pointed apology about the fact that the shop was identified.

I think the point is black people have the power to completely ruin people by crying racism in situations like this and also create a situation where people don't believe it when genuine instances of racism take place. There is nothing whatsoever to suggest that racism took place here. There are a million and one different reasons why they might not have thought that she could afford the bag.

It's a bit weird of Oprah to assume that the Swiss have the same perception of black Americans that the Americans do. There is no large, deprived, black community in Switzerland so they most probably don't associate black people with being poor, especially ones who have an American accent and are clearly tourists. More than anything she's displaying her own prejudice
Lazercarp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 08:02 AM   #17 (permalink)

If anything, it's ELITIST.
Live and HELP live is better!

TROLL ALERT STATUS:
CHAT -> BERT

FORUMS -> ERNIE
(troll activity on the increase)

WATCH WHAT YOU TYPE!
millenniumman75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 11:41 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazercarp1 View Post
I think the point is black people have the power to completely ruin people by crying racism in situations like this and also create a situation where people don't believe it when genuine instances of racism take place.
That's another issue. Oprah could have easily ruined the sales person life by making such baseless accusations. This sales person could have lost her job and experience all sorts of problems just because Oprah had a hissy fit over a dumb bag.
Old 08-14-2013, 12:54 PM   #19 (permalink)

She apparently did apologize but has gone back on her story because of the backlash.
Just another very overpaid celebrity who's lost all touch with reality. I really can't see why you'd stick up for someone who ran off to the media with no thought to how it would affect the saleswoman.
It's a snobby thing that happens all the time. These places get people who go in there to just view the bags with no intention of buying them. It doesn't matter what skin colour they are, and clearly if she was dressed like that then they made an assumption that she couldn't afford it.
I think she was just shocked that the salesgirl didn't recognise her.

But I'm a creep.
I'm a weirdo.
What the hell am I doing here?
I don't belong here

Quote:
Originally Posted by peril View Post
I always wonder why people bother asking when they already have a perceived answer to their question and won't accept anything else.
Charmander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 01:22 PM   #20 (permalink)

nullptr is offline   Reply With Quote