Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Controversial Discussion > Society & Culture

View Poll Results: Depressed people...
should NOT be allowed in the military, even if they've recovered 7 35.00%
should be allowed in the military 13 65.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-10-2008, 07:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
m56

Default Depression = not allowed into military?

Is it true that in the US, you're not allowed to join the military if you have been diagnosed with clinical depression, like, ever in your life?

If so, is that wrong? If it's not true, would it be a good rule to have?
m56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 07:33 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Depression = not allowed into military?

Is that the rule? I am too lazy right now to Google it.
WineKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 07:55 PM   #3 (permalink)

i dont think that is true.

i suppose their is some sort of mental health evaluation you have to go through before you enlist (as you do when you apply to be a police officer), but im assuming only folks with major mental illness are ruled ineligible.

most cases of depression arent major and are treatable with medication
Old 02-10-2008, 08:02 PM   #4 (permalink)

I voted "should not be allowed." No one should be allowed.

Have a nice day,
Kelly
Old 02-10-2008, 09:03 PM   #5 (permalink)

Hey, being suicidally depressed would be an advantage in war. You'd stand your ground and risk death while all the rest of the troops ran away.
UltraShy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 10:47 PM   #6 (permalink)

The recruiters are desperate to meet their quotas, they will take practically ANYBODY and fudge the paperwork...I know for a fact that they tell people wanting to enlist, how to beat the drug screening test....

Everytown is a movement of Americans working together to end gun violence and build safer communities. Gun violence touches every town in America. For too long, change has been thwarted by the Washington gun lobby and by leaders who refuse to take common-sense steps that will save lives.

http://everytown.org/who-we-are/
WinterDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 01:13 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterDave
The recruiters are desperate to meet their quotas, they will take practically ANYBODY and fudge the paperwork...I know for a fact that they tell people wanting to enlist, how to beat the drug screening test....
Recruiters are weasels...nothing short of used car salesman. My son was roped in by one of these MFs... dont even get me started on that.....

How would they even know? Unless one disclosed it or was on meds at the time....they dont know unless you TELL them right? HIPPA is a big deal in the med industry.....medical information is protected.
WineKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 02:13 AM   #8 (permalink)

Yes, they can be pond scum all right....They will promise these kids all sorts of bogus stuff to get them to sign the paper..."No, you won't be sent to Iraq, we have a special opening for radio operators in Aruba!" After the kids get out of Basic, it's too late to complain about how the recruiter lied to them....I remember these recruiters trolling a public high school or something, conning the kids into disclosing their names...They were telling the kids to give them their name so it WOULDN'T end up on a list when actually the opposite was true...The recruiters just wanted the kids' names so they could start pursuing them....I walked past a closed recruitment office about a year ago and looked through the window...It had like an X-Box 360 or Playstation2 in there to ensnare these teenage kids with....Just like Hansel and Gretel, and the Gingerbread House!

Everytown is a movement of Americans working together to end gun violence and build safer communities. Gun violence touches every town in America. For too long, change has been thwarted by the Washington gun lobby and by leaders who refuse to take common-sense steps that will save lives.

http://everytown.org/who-we-are/
WinterDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 06:17 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Yes, they can be pond scum all right....They will promise these kids all sorts of bogus stuff to get them to sign the paper..."No, you won't be sent to Iraq, we have a special opening for radio operators in Aruba!"
Just like on the movie Private Benjamin when the recruiter told her she would be living in a condo on the beach and she ended up going somewhere in the deep south living in a big room with the other ladies.
yooper: yah
troll: no school, man, it was sweet
yooper: you closed school for three feet of snow?!?!??!?
troll: you like excessive punctuation, don't you?
copper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 03:19 PM   #10 (permalink)

Location: Beloved son of Aztlan, living in these great United States

nothing wrong with what recruiters do. they have a job to do so they do it. i cant speak for others but i wasnt lied to when i enlisted.

Countdown to Christmas!!
http://www.xmasclock.com/
nubly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 07:05 PM   #11 (permalink)

When I was a senior in high school, a recruiter called me up and asked me some questions. One of which was about whether I was on any anti-depressants. Once I told him I was, he told me I was ineligible to enlist. Mind you -- I was called after the U.S. invaded Iraq.
Cerberus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 02:16 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
You'd have to be flying high to join the military during war time, so why even bother with drug screening.

In the US we have laws against false advertising, yet they don't seem to apply to the military. If you want to advertise Celebrex, for example, you have to mention that it could kill you ("death" is actually stated to satisfy FDA rules). If you want to advertise the Army, you don't have to say anything about possible damage to physical and/or mental health or potential for death. I tend to suspect explosives & machine gun fire are more risky than an arthritis pill.
Old 02-14-2008, 06:44 PM   #13 (permalink)

the military has helped a great number of kids.

i really dont understand the hatred of the military. most youngsters who enlist, will leave in a lot better shape...physically, intellectually, educationally...and vocationally.

that doesnt sound nearly as bad as working the midnight shift at dennys for years and years and having a houseful of roomates until age 35.

and i know what the question is...why didnt i join the military. stupidity, probably. hey i had a college degree! see where that got me? if i had been smart, i would have joined after college.
Old 02-14-2008, 06:47 PM   #14 (permalink)

and yes i do understand that the military is a dangerous profession...but it is honorable.

would you all discourage a young person from becoming a fire fighter? cop? i would hope not. goodness knows we need some *good* cops out there.
Old 02-14-2008, 11:12 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly

Have a nice day,
Kelly
NeedleInTheHay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 12:10 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by odun
Don't we have a wall in D.C. with the names of 58,000 kids who weren't helped during Vietnam?

Where shall we build a wall for Iraq?

Quote:
that doesnt sound nearly as bad as working the midnight shift at dennys for years and years and having a houseful of roomates until age 35.
You've said that so many times before. May I ask, have you ever lived under such circumstances?

Quote:
hey i had a college degree! see where that got me?
Not fully, since you've been mad at me for nearly a year and would likely get upset if I asked if you've found employment yet.
Old 02-15-2008, 06:29 AM   #17 (permalink)

Location: Beloved son of Aztlan, living in these great United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedleInTheHay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly

Have a nice day,
Kelly
why would you want to live in a country that doesnt have any defense? its not like our current military personnel were forced into service

Countdown to Christmas!!
http://www.xmasclock.com/
nubly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 09:14 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraShy
Quote:
Don't we have a wall in D.C. with the names of 58,000 kids who weren't helped during Vietnam?

Where shall we build a wall for Iraq?

Quote:
You've said that so many times before. May I ask, have you ever lived under such circumstances?

Quote:
hey i had a college degree! see where that got me?
Not fully, since you've been mad at me for nearly a year and would likely get upset if I asked if you've found employment yet.
Thank you.
missionhillandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 09:25 AM   #19 (permalink)
Bon

They would know if you were on medication for depression. I know there were rules against police being depressed, rather on depression meds.

I was married to a "God" in the Navy. I can't prove what I know, I know what I have heard "seen" when my husband was in the Navy it was still frowned upon to be on meds, bad enough if you saw a shrink, so much for getting help, look, if some our media still lumps people together, the other night I heard "If they're seeing a shrink, aren't they unstable to begin with" attitude... That's how some still view "Us"

Now, once you have sought help, you can be "Overlooked" for a promotion, different duties, they used to find ways to weed people out, of course it had nothing to do with your depression....Now, perhaps this depends on what tour you're on, the higher ups at the time, it's the luck of the draw. There's so much crap that still goes on.

There's also some good, let's say you go home and beat on your wife, or the other way around, when it's prov en, and your commanding officer finds out about it....It's not like in the real world, you can get into some serious trouble.

So, let me conclude this by saying, I've known many retired military, I have noticed that when they have been career military, not all, but many are heavy drinkers, suffer from depression, what I've seen, I'd rather have our men treated for depression then self medicating.

Look at our people Iraq, it would be nice if they were monitored, you can believe some have to be suffering badly. If the military doesn't see this, or rather accept it, they have their heads up their....
Old 02-15-2008, 11:17 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bon
There's also some good, let's say you go home and beat on your wife, or the other way around
In that case i think this person may not be fit for the military. Just saying...
Lyric Suite is offline   Reply With Quote