Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

Where were you picked in gym class

1K views 39 replies 32 participants last post by  Zozulya 
#1 ·
In Middle school and High school I was always picked mid way whenever we played basketball. I didnt practice the sport a lot but I'm very athletic. Thier was a few times I was picked first. I can recall one day in tenth grade I was one of the last people to get to the court and thier was a odd amount people and I didn't get picked.

I picked up another ball and went to another basketball goal then 3 girls that were juniors came and shot with me. They were better shooters than me but again I didn't practice much I just drive to the rim mostly.

#2 ·
Never lmao. My gym classes (in middle and high school) always consisted of coaches forcing us to do a 30 minute workout and then letting us do whatever we wanted. So I would just go away and sit somewhere inconspicuously it was really a terrible time, sports put me out of my element.

#5 ·
I wish I could have sat out but that wasn't possible, I actually ended up getting my worst grade in that class out of all my credits, that's pretty sad as phys-ed should be easy. We had the 30 minute work out too, he would make us do push ups and jog.

I didn't like the teacher, he once asked if I was from Switzerland but I replied I'm from the Netherlands, he decided to reply back with that I was an embarrassment to my country.

#4 ·
In high school I was always either last, or close to being last, I stopped caring about playing sports during high school because it was just too competitive and just a show off, I would have preferred to sit out of those things anyways but being as it was mandatory I had to get that credit.

#8 ·
I remember a horrifying experienced when I was in 6th grade gym. It was a glass of about 30 plus kids. Teacher assigned two people as team leaders. They took turns one by one picking team mates. I was literally the last one out of that large group. Ouch.

I'm usually picked last.

#10 ·
I was usually picked in the middle, or more towards first. I was pretty athletic when I was a kid...and even in hs somewhat. I played Little League from the time I was four or five until I was forteen, and made the All Star team just about every year. I also ran track and was pretty good.

I never really liked Phys Ed much...a lot of the time. In junior hs we had a coach that was just a total dick. He was career military and I swear he used to like giving kids pops (paddling). He paddled this one kid like six or seven times once....he could barely walk afterwards. I never got it, not from him but a lot of guys did. And we never really did anything fun, really. We'd exercise in formation then run half the time. Or we'd spend the whole semester weight training...I can do that at home, or at a gym. A few times we had co-ed softball tournaments in hs, and that was fun. And we played soccer a few times and that was fun, but mostly I remember Phys Ed being boring. I really didn't like it all that much.

#16 ·
Fairly early on, I was quite good in sports and my social problems didn't really happen until later. Pesky adult world.

We did have a teacher who used to take a bit too much satisfaction in making kids who forgot their P.E. kits do it in their underwear. Although they did get a choice of underwear vs P.E. kit from the "never washed disgusting communal stuff people had left behind" box.

There was a strong incentive not to forget your P.E. kit though.

Happy times.

#20 ·
We did have a teacher who used to take a bit too much satisfaction in making kids who forgot their P.E. kits do it in their underwear. Although they did get a choice of underwear vs P.E. kit from the "never washed disgusting communal stuff people had left behind" box.
We had this too. For years I had dreams the night before PE that I'd forgotten my kit. I still have them sometimes.

We never did group sports in a way that anyone was 'picked' though. All 30 of us just used to have to attempt hockey/tennis/swimming moves one by one.

#18 ·
I was picked in the middle to last. The ones last-picked were the ones who weren't interested in doing anything during class. By HS, anxiety took over and there were a few bullies so I backed off a bit.

#19 ·
I don't remember, I barely remember gym class really, a lot of high school and middle school memories have faded now. I don't remember if there was even "picking" or if the teacher just separated us. I sat out a lot of gym classes because I was quite overweight in school and had back problems.

#25 ·
Often last, but not always. I have bad balance and I'm really uncoordinated, so I couldn't really blame anyone. I'm pretty rubbish at sports. One of the boys once asked if they had to pick me for baseball, even though I was the last person left. They asked the teacher if I could just sit the game out. I was all for it, but our teacher wouldn't go along with it.

Almost all of our classes involved either team sports, or paired sports. We didn't really do anything by ourselves unless it was one-on-one like track sports. I hated gym class with a passion. Thank God I only had to take a year of it in hs.

#26 ·
always middle of the pack.

even in basketball that i still play today with adults. we sometimes have a huge group of people. the best 2 players are captains and they pick the teams. im always 3rd pick or 4th. never last . Im actually pretty decent at basketball and most sports though.

#27 ·
Mostly picked last or close to. Sometimes id kick or throw the ball out of bound because i didn't give a **** about sports. I did it just to waste time and rile up the boys. I was one rebellious little ****.

#30 ·
I don't remember picking teams happening all that often in school. I remember being picked around the middle or a little after that. Never first and never last. I was really skinny in school but I was also pretty athletic so even though I didn't look it, I was pretty good at most sports.

#31 ·
I was very athletic and played multiple sports so I was always one of the first people picked.

#32 ·
I don't recall ever having to be pick for teams during PE classes. I think majority of the times when we play team sports, teachers divided us by going around making us count numbers and whatever number we said, we joined with others with the same number.

When I played soccer in high school, I and these two other girls are always on the bench and we were never put in. I think the main reason being a combination of

1. me not being that good

2. our parents never once came to watch me play while the other teammates have their parents always there to cheer and watch and involved, so the coach had to suck up to them and play their kids.

3. other parents being more popular with the school staff, thus coach also knows them and favors their kids more.

Life is all about politics. Even in things like these.

#34 ·
I generally did what I could to avoid gym. I would often wait until they were getting ready to do whatever they were gonna do and say I had to go to the bathroom and just stay in there until someone came looking for me. Sometimes I would just slip out a side door and go back to the classroom and wait. Fortunately, most of my gym teachers weren't very strict and didn't really bother me about it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.