X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Medication

Old 11-29-2010, 09:39 PM   #1 (permalink)

Thumbs down Zoloft, Marijuana, Alcohol.

I've been prescribed Zoloft 50mg. I just took my first one about 2 hours ago after much debate with myself. I've been nauseous ever since. (And now I'm developing quite the headache.) Hopefully I don't experience this level of nausea for 2 weeks.

My Doctor told me that Alcohol wouldn't be the end of the world while on Zoloft. She said it would just "cancel out" the effects of it for that day, and if I wanted to I could just skip a dose.

My main problem with starting on medication was that my main outlet for socializing is parties. I tend to drink a lot. It's the only time I can be "me". I hope I can continue to do this, which I usually do once per week.

I've also looked into Marijuana and SSRIs. It seems that Marijuana increases your THC absorption 400%?... that doesn't scream "BAD" to me. lol. But on a serious note I haven't seen anything that indicates it would be particularly bad to smoke a little while on Zoloft.

So basically.... opinions?
TheGambit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 03:51 AM   #2 (permalink)

I smoked weed and consumed a bit of alcohol on Zoloft and there were no interactions. My friend has been on 2 SSRIs and used to drink all the time on them with no consequences. I also have a family member on an SSRI who is a full-blown alcoholic, no interactions there either.
Duke of Prunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 04:41 AM   #3 (permalink)
Rbk

I always have a bad mood after heavy drinking. And when I'm on SSRIs it is much better
Rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 07:13 AM   #4 (permalink)

I took Zoloft in middle school. That alone made my temperament worse. I'm not sure on about how it reacts with everything else. Ask a pharmacologist. :P
Old 12-01-2010, 10:53 PM   #5 (permalink)

I have done this combo many times. The only problem is that large amounts of alcohol can wash out the SSRI and the next morning you will have a hangover and SSRI withdrawal.

Alcohol increases the clearance of most all SSRI's I believe. Weed doesnt have any reaction with any of the other drugs.
Himi Jendrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 09:06 PM   #6 (permalink)

Marijuana with any ssri make them less effective for many. It has been reported to help with initial side effects of nausea,insomnia and restlessness though
Canadian4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 09:23 PM   #7 (permalink)

woww what a combo
"Eckhart saw Hell too. He said: The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of life, your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you, he said. They're freeing your soul. So, if you're frightened of dying and... and you're holding on, you'll see devils tearing your life away. But if you've made your peace, then the devils are really angels, freeing you from the earth."
kid a is offline   Reply With Quote