X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Medication

Old 04-13-2008, 02:41 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Xanax VS SSRI

Which one do you think works better for social anxiety? I've used both and while Xanax helps a bit to relax you, SSRI's seem to make you more outgoing. What do you guys think?
tednugent2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 02:50 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Xanax VS SSRI

why not use both?
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."”
--Isaac Asimov

Note: majority of typos are from posting on my phone
Noca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 03:38 PM   #3 (permalink)

I guess that is another option. lol Do you know if they compliment each other? My Dr. said Paxil, although used for depression, also works well on anxiety. Anyways, just curious really. I used Paxil and Buspar before, but Buspar didn't really seem to help alot because when I weane off that I still was ok, but when I weaned off Paxil I noticed a big difference. Are Buspar and Xanax similar dugs?
Old 04-13-2008, 03:50 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tednugent2007
Are Buspar and Xanax similar drugs?
Not at all.
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."”
--Isaac Asimov

Old 04-13-2008, 06:04 PM   #5 (permalink)

What's the difference then?
Old 04-13-2008, 08:41 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
What's the difference then?
Xanax is a benzo and it works and Buspar isnt a benzo and it doesnt work to put it plainly.
--Isaac Asimov

Old 04-13-2008, 08:59 PM   #7 (permalink)

Ok, I also heard Xanax is only supposed to be used for short periods of time. 2-4 weeks.
Old 04-13-2008, 09:06 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Ok, I also heard Xanax is only supposed to be used for short periods of time. 2-4 weeks.
if you use Xanax on a prn basis(as needed) then you wont have any problems and you can take it indefinately.
--Isaac Asimov

Old 04-14-2008, 01:53 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
A guideline apparently created by those who live in some fantasy land where anxiety only lasts for 2-4 weeks and then ends and everyone lives happily ever after. I hate to break it to them, but I'm an adult and know fairy tales are full of lies and this would be one of them. In two weeks I turn 35 and have had anxiety for as long as I can remember.

Allow me to list the drugs that have failed me:

1. Paxil
2. Prozac
3. Lexapro
4. Zoloft
5. imipramine
6. Zyprexa
7. Abilify
8. Serzone
9. Neurontin
10. Lamictal
11. Effexor
12. Buspar

All of the above ranged from doing nothing at all to doing nothing to help, but having intolerable side effects.
UltraShy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 05:44 PM   #10 (permalink)

^^^
how long did it take you to get perscribed to drugs that actually worked??
--Mr. SandMan--
Mr. SandMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 05:51 PM   #11 (permalink)

to get back to the original question I would take both

if you are lucky enough to find an antidepressant that works for you, it will help more than xanax
but it can be a long search that involves trying many abtidepressants and meanwhile xanax taken sensibly, helps everyone

please dont use the term SSRI to mean all antidepressants, it actually means prozac type, there are several other types too
arthur56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 12:53 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bignate
^^^
I'm still waiting for the DEA to be abolished along with their drug prohibition.

I take 10 mg of Xanax daily and I'm still disabled by anxiety. I'd rate Xanax on par with Valium & Ativan (at equivalent doses). I find that large benzo doses help a bit, but they don't do nearly enough. Truly powerful anti-anxiety drugs either have a high addictive potential and/or are too likely to cause fatal OD for the DEA to allow their use, so I get to suffer and drink beer, the only truly effective anti-anxiety drug not controlled by the DEA.

It seems that as a fully competent and fairly intelligent grown man I'm not deemed capable of deciding what to put into my body so my owners, the US government, takes care of me as their property by telling me what I can & can not do to myself in direct violation of my basic human rights.

The DEA can go F*** themselves. I might make that my new sig line.
Old 04-15-2008, 02:58 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraShy
Truly powerful anti-anxiety drugs either have a high addictive potential and/or are too likely to cause fatal OD for the DEA to allow their use, so I get to suffer and drink beer, the only truly effective anti-anxiety drug not controlled by the DEA.
What are these?
Old 04-15-2008, 03:09 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGecko
Quote:
Truly powerful anti-anxiety drugs either have a high addictive potential and/or are too likely to cause fatal OD for the DEA to allow their use, so I get to suffer and drink beer, the only truly effective anti-anxiety drug not controlled by the DEA.
What are these?
supposedly opiates help people with anxiety. I take a lot of them and ive tried most every type of them and I feel zero anxiety relief, however they work great for depression till you get tolerant to them. Adderall works great for SA in my opinion. It makes you WAY more talkative and willing to face your fears.
--Isaac Asimov

Old 04-15-2008, 03:20 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bignate
^^^
I'm still waiting for the DEA to be abolished along with their drug prohibition.

I take 10 mg of Xanax daily and I'm still disabled by anxiety. I'd rate Xanax on par with Valium & Ativan (at equivalent doses). I find that large benzo doses help a bit, but they don't do nearly enough. Truly powerful anti-anxiety drugs either have a high addictive potential and/or are too likely to cause fatal OD for the DEA to allow their use, so I get to suffer and drink beer, the only truly effective anti-anxiety drug not controlled by the DEA.

It seems that as a fully competent and fairly intelligent grown man I'm not deemed capable of deciding what to put into my body so my owners, the US government, takes care of me as their property by telling me what I can & can not do to myself in direct violation of my basic human rights.

The DEA can go F*** themselves. I might make that my new sig line.
damn, so nothing works, i really dont know what to say....but, actually, nevermind, im not tryna preach.....
--Mr. SandMan--
Mr. SandMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 03:39 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noca
Quote:
Quote:
What are these?
supposedly opiates help people with anxiety. I take a lot of them and ive tried most every type of them and I feel zero anxiety relief, however they work great for depression till you get tolerant to them. Adderall works great for SA in my opinion. It makes you WAY more talkative and willing to face your fears.
Oh right. I'd not heard of opiates helping with SA before. It's supposedly impossible to get prescribed benzo's here so I doubt anyone would ever be to get opiates for it in this country at least.
Old 04-15-2008, 05:58 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Quote:
What are these?
Some things I'd like to try include MDMA, methaqualone, Seconal, Nembutal (and other barbs), morphine and other opioids, marijuana.

3 items on my list above are legal C-II drugs, but I could never get them prescribed. MDMA was legal with no prescription at all till 1984 when it was banned, the same year prescription methaqualone magically turned illegal.

I'd prefer living out my life in a drug-induced alternative reality, rather than in my living hell. The worst any drug can do is kill me as if SA hasn't already effectively done that. I'm the living dead. I don't have a life, unless you define life as merely having a pulse.

I'm a fully competent adult with an IQ higher than most of the population and I don't care to have brain-dead twits in government telling me what I can & can not take to help ease my extreme mental suffering. Perhaps none of the above would work. Perhaps they'd end up killing me. But it's my body & should be my choice (a concept liberals only understand when it comes to abortion).
Old 04-15-2008, 06:40 PM   #18 (permalink)

maybe u could move to a country with much less drug laws??
mcnabj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 07:39 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Perhaps they'd end up killing me. But it's my body & should be my choice (a concept liberals only understand when it comes to abortion).
I don't find that to be true. Many liberal-minded people are against the prohibition of drugs.
Old 04-16-2008, 10:25 AM   #20 (permalink)

^ Yes, including me.