X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Medication

Old 03-31-2010, 01:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Xanax, Klonopin, Valium, Questions!!! Please Read!

Someone that I know is taking xanax "Not" by prescription. This person has been on it for 2 weeks now and has only been taking 1/2 mg 4 times a day. Total of 2 mg. They are worried they may already be becoming physically dependant on it. My friend also spoke to their Dr. since they are already on 40 mgs of Prozac and explained to the Dr. that they had tried xanax that their mom had given them in order to over come a panic attack.

This person I know was then made aware that xanax is a controlled substance. This made my friend even more nervouse because they had ordered the xanax online via a no rx needed site.

The Dr. said to my friend that he would recommend Klonopin over xanax but wanted to first start out by upping their dose of prozac up a knotch. So now my friend is on 60 mgs of Prozac which is probobly good since they have been on it for 5 years and most likely needed it uped anyhow, but now that my friend has been taking xanax with great sucess they are trying to figure out what to do. They definitely want to tell their Dr. they want Klonopin since it is longer acting but does not know what to do now about the xanax situation. Also is curious about Valium.

Any help or advice would be appreciated!

Thanks
Heatherx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 01:54 PM   #2 (permalink)

valium xanax and K are all much the same once you get used to them

xanax from the net may be good or an inactive placebo, personally I think xanax this way is OK if you cant get it or any other benzos from docs

prozac, an antidepressants stops panic attacks for some
arth98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 02:00 PM   #3 (permalink)

You'll be fine switching from Xanax to Klonopin, and I agree it's preferable as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arth98 View Post
xanax from the net may be good or an inactive placebo, personally I think xanax this way is OK if you cant get it or any other benzos from docs
Awful advice, that's a good way to become wildly dependent and even dangerous when your site runs out of stock or is late with your next order.
meyaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 04:43 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by meyaj View Post

Awful advice, that's a good way to become wildly dependent and even dangerous when your site runs out of stock or is late with your next order.
YES *agrees with post*
ordering any benzodiazepine online is risky and your friend has no doubt built up a tolerance since Xanax are so fast acting, two weeks of the stuff would easily be long enough for a tolerance build up

its not good advice to tells someone to keep buying their restricted drugs online, for a start you do not know what is really in them and secondly its dangerous and if your doctor were to find out i doubt they would be too happy about it

you are best to speak to a psychiatrist or doctor about this and see what they recommend

Do you think we choose the times into which we are born? Or do we fit the times we are born into?-Abraham Lincoln
Arisa1536 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 02:52 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
You'll be fine switching from Xanax to Klonopin, and I agree it's preferable as well.

Hello, and thank you for the response, it gives me hope that my friend can switch to Klonopin legally instead of having to rely on an online resource and that the switch from Xanax to Klonopin should not be something to disrupting to the body, withdraw etc.... Also, now that she has been feeling much better on the xanax, working more productively, more focused, calmed down and not nervouse about things, how is she to bring this up to her Dr. so that he can switch her to Klonopin? Should she explain she has been taking xanax from her mother, has been happy with the results, however does not want to STAY on xanax due to everything she has read and would like to be prescribed Klonopin? Or should she tell her Dr. she has been having panic attacks still and would like to go with the Klonopin? Also, dosage wise, should she just be honest? She is seriously looking for advice. NOT taking anything is NOT a possibility.

Thanks to you or anyone for any advice and help!
Old 04-02-2010, 04:18 PM   #6 (permalink)

hey heather
i think the best thing to do would be to tell the doctor about the panic attacks and anxiety problems which are not going away. If her doctor has never prescribed her any anti anxiety medication before then its likely they may do this time, if your friend really pleads her case.

Honesty is usually the best policy but in this instance i think it may just anger her doctor as i know my doctor would be angry if i was buying pills online then asked him for help after telling him i dont want online medication anymore.

she can say she knows someone who takes klonopin and it works wonders for them and that she has been tempted to take drastic measures like use her parents meds or buy online, but has not actually taken anything as yet, hence the anxiety being so bad..

i hope that helps and your pal can get some klonopin or perhaps the doc may give ur friend something less potent but better for your friend in this situation

Do you think we choose the times into which we are born? Or do we fit the times we are born into?-Abraham Lincoln
Old 04-02-2010, 04:33 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arisa1536 View Post
hey heather
i think the best thing to do would be to tell the doctor about the panic attacks and anxiety problems which are not going away. If her doctor has never prescribed her any anti anxiety medication before then its likely they may do this time, if your friend really pleads her case.

Honesty is usually the best policy but in this instance i think it may just anger her doctor as i know my doctor would be angry if i was buying pills online then asked him for help after telling him i dont want online medication anymore.

she can say she knows someone who takes klonopin and it works wonders for them and that she has been tempted to take drastic measures like use her parents meds or buy online, but has not actually taken anything as yet, hence the anxiety being so bad..

i hope that helps and your pal can get some klonopin or perhaps the doc may give ur friend something less potent but better for your friend in this situation
Thanks Arisa1536. I agree. I think she should do just as you stated.
If he puts her on somthing "less" potent won't she have xanax withdraw then? Definitely not desired I'm sure. The Dr. already knows she used her mothers xanax and he said that as a mother she was just trying to help, but it is a controlled substance and he likes to put people on Klonopin instead. I'm sure when she has her discussion with him it will go well. It is easy to switch from xanax to Klonopin though? Do you think she would have to just use the same ratio of Klonopin to keep her evened out? Or perhaps while taking the Klonopin, ween off of the xanax at the same time?

Thanks Bunches!
Old 04-02-2010, 04:45 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatherx View Post
Thanks Arisa1536. I agree. I think she should do just as you stated.
If he puts her on somthing "less" potent won't she have xanax withdraw then? Definitely not desired I'm sure. The Dr. already knows she used her mothers xanax and he said that as a mother she was just trying to help, but it is a controlled substance and he likes to put people on Klonopin instead. I'm sure when she has her discussion with him it will go well. It is easy to switch from xanax to Klonopin though? Do you think she would have to just use the same ratio of Klonopin to keep her evened out? Or perhaps while taking the Klonopin, ween off of the xanax at the same time?

Thanks Bunches!
well the amount the would prescribe and it sounds like he will, depends on how much xanax your friend was taking. If she was taking 2MG or more then its likely the doctor will start your friend on 0.5MG tablets at maybe four a day, which is two MG. Most doctors do not like putting patients on high amounts of either xanax or klonopin so i doubt highly that he will give her a high dose straight away.

anything over 5MG would be too much for her, its used for epilepsy as 5-6MG knocks you out, i have been there and slept like a log, and when i was awake i was just lying on the bed calm and relaxed but i was not moving around or anything, i had no energy but it felt good. Anyway i think that its up to the doctor and the amount your friend was taking of the Xanax as they are apparently both the same in potency, its just that Clonazepam (klonopin) is released into the body slower than Xanax but Klonopin lasts longer than Xanax so yeah. All the best and i do hope it works out for your friend

i am on clonazepam so if u have any questions about ask away

Old 04-02-2010, 05:13 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
well the amount the would prescribe and it sounds like he will, depends on how much xanax your friend was taking. If she was taking 2MG or more then its likely the doctor will start your friend on 0.5MG tablets at maybe four a day, which is two MG. Most doctors do not like putting patients on high amounts of either xanax or klonopin so i doubt highly that he will give her a high dose straight away.

anything over 5MG would be too much for her, its used for epilepsy as 5-6MG knocks you out, i have been there and slept like a log, and when i was awake i was just lying on the bed calm and relaxed but i was not moving around or anything, i had no energy but it felt good. Anyway i think that its up to the doctor and the amount your friend was taking of the Xanax as they are apparently both the same in potency, its just that Clonazepam (klonopin) is released into the body slower than Xanax but Klonopin lasts longer than Xanax so yeah. All the best and i do hope it works out for your friend

i am on clonazepam so if u have any questions about ask away
Oh good, your on Klonopin??? I mean that in a kind way of course. lol Then you are definitely the person I want to speak to. If you don't mind me asking, how long have you been on it, effect it had on you in the beginning and the effect it is having on you now.
About when do your meds get up'd or do you stay pretty stable for a long time? Is this something you HAVE to come off of, or can you just stay on it if it keeps working. I guess what I am asking is, what is your personal history and experience on it and your plans for the future? Sorry to be so annoying!!!
Old 04-02-2010, 07:32 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Oh good, your on Klonopin??? I mean that in a kind way of course. lol Then you are definitely the person I want to speak to. If you don't mind me asking, how long have you been on it, effect it had on you in the beginning and the effect it is having on you now.
About when do your meds get up'd or do you stay pretty stable for a long time? Is this something you HAVE to come off of, or can you just stay on it if it keeps working. I guess what I am asking is, what is your personal history and experience on it and your plans for the future? Sorry to be so annoying!!!
You are not being annoying
i am happy to answer your questions
Now i started klonopin in late november of last year so i have been on it for just over four months now that we are in april. I was given 1.5MG in 0.5 pill form to take three times a day, one in the morning, one at lunchtime and one two hours before bed. I am also on one zopiclone per night which has been reduced from two, i was addicted to zopiclone for a long time so i down to one and thats a big deal for me, so its good that i was able to cut the high amounts i was taking of that drug down to only 7.5MG

now bare in mind that klonopin is the same as taking two zopiclone
well 1MG of klonopin is supposedly equal to two zopiclone
and 0.5MG is the same as 1MG of lorazepam and as far as the equivalencies go, it says that one orange klonopin tablet which is 0.5MG is the same as a 0.5MG tablet of Xanax. Some people say Xanax is stronger because its faster acting. The klonopin take a good hour or two to kick in, for me they seem to take a long time but once they do the effects are strong. Tiredness and some times a little giddiness may follow as well as a calming effect and lack of motivation but these are not all bad things, as they dull down the high anxiety quite a bit. Bare in mind also that they are potent and stopping them suddenly is a bad idea as is playing around with the dose the doctor gives your friend, so if she is given 2MG do not take half the dose and save it for the next day. Take the full amount prescribed because its likely she will need it after taking Xanax for some time. As long as klonopin is given in a moderate dose there should be no withdrawal problems as you are switching not coming off of a benzodiazepine so god willing it will not cause side effects that come with withdrawing

well my future plans?
i can stay on these long term and slowly cut out the zopiclone over the next six to twelve months, but clonazepam (Klonopin) can be used long term due to its long lasting effect in the body, whereas lorazepam was given to me for short term anxiety attacks or pre social gathering anxiety, they were not given as a long term alternative to anxiety. i hope that helps and that your friend can be on the klonopin as long as she needs to be

Old 04-02-2010, 08:41 PM   #11 (permalink)

Benzodiazepines like klonopin can be used long-term if you're willing to deal with a bit of tolerance. If you keep upping your dose at the first sign of tolerance, it's going to get way out of hand and isn't very sustainable.

It's not really IDEAL to stay on benzos indefinitely if you can help it. They are more useful to help you be functional while you work on your problems to hopefully find a better long-term solution. There is nothing technically limiting a person from taking them forever, but I wouldn't recommend planning on it, I would instead recommend using more suitable long-term meds and/or therapy to hopefully get you off of them someday. If I was a doctor, outside of a few rare special cases, I would make the patient demonstrate to at least keep TRYING to find a better, more permanent long-term solution by continuing to go to therapy or something, in order to get a benzo prescription.

And most doctors don't feel too differently. Most of them do NOT intend for their patients to be on benzos forever, and that's the real issue regarding whether or not you can take benzos indefinitely. There's a very good chance that at some point down the line, they will want to start weaning you off.

As far as when do your meds get increased... same deal. There's no real way set in stone to do it, and some doctors will tolerate a few dose increases, but the benefits of upping the dose will quickly be lost by increased tolerance, requiring you to up your dose again to get back to where you were, which increases your tolerance again to pretty much where you were before, and basically it's often bound to create a vicious cycle where the only thing stopping you from constantly increasing your dose if the doctor refusing to let you. You're NOT getting much more if any extra benefit for very long by increasing the dose, and the pointless tradeoff is that at these higher doses it will create a much more severe and dangerous dependence. So most doctors (and I tend to agree with this), if at all willing, will at most allow you to find a dose that works well for you EARLY ON, and then seriously discourage and generally not even permit further dose increases. You HAVE to be okay with the idea of the drug becoming a bit less effective over time because otherwise your doses will never stop increasing, and trust me, that's something you want to avoid, NOT to look forward to.
Old 04-02-2010, 08:50 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
well 1MG of klonopin is supposedly equal to two zopiclone.
Technically that's true, but it's a bit hard to truly compare the anxiolytic klonopin with the hypnotic zopiclone, as their mental effects will feel qualitatively different.
jim_morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 09:34 PM   #13 (permalink)

I tend to feel the effects of two zopiclone, even after a year of taking it every night, than I do even 4mg of klonopin.

Benzo equivalencies are a bit silly. There are so many individual effects in different balance that it's meaningless to compare them like this without stating exactly which standard is being used. Is it strictly a biochemical measure? Is it the subjective anxiolytic effects? Subjective hypnotic effects? Subjective sedative effects? Subjective muscle relaxant effects? Anti-convulsant effects? Amnesia-inducing effects? All of these are present in all benzos and yet they all exist in various balances. Without knowing just exactly WHAT is being compared, it's not very useful, especially considering the fact that even when you DO know what is being compared, each individual person's physiology can influence the potency of every specific drug differently.
Old 04-02-2010, 09:47 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
I tend to feel the effects of two zopiclone, even after a year of taking it every night, than I do even 4mg of klonopin.
yeah i felt the same at first
to me two zopiclone were way more potent than 4MG of klonopin and yeah equivalencies are silly but its up to the individual and how their body responds i guess that is what they are going on, the majority of peoples responses

Old 04-03-2010, 10:02 PM   #15 (permalink)

"friend"?
dlopan26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 10:11 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlopan26 View Post
"friend"?
Yeah it's a bit transparent, isn't it?
Old 04-05-2010, 10:21 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlopan26 View Post
"friend"?
Ever Heard of "Self Incrimination"? Might want to read my very first post. lol
Old 04-05-2010, 10:29 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
You are not being annoying
i am happy to answer your questions
Now i started klonopin in late november of last year so i have been on it for just over four months now that we are in april. I was given 1.5MG in 0.5 pill form to take three times a day, one in the morning, one at lunchtime and one two hours before bed. I am also on one zopiclone per night which has been reduced from two, i was addicted to zopiclone for a long time so i down to one and thats a big deal for me, so its good that i was able to cut the high amounts i was taking of that drug down to only 7.5MG

well 1MG of klonopin is supposedly equal to two zopiclone
and 0.5MG is the same as 1MG of lorazepam and as far as the equivalencies go, it says that one orange klonopin tablet which is 0.5MG is the same as a 0.5MG tablet of Xanax. Some people say Xanax is stronger because its faster acting. The klonopin take a good hour or two to kick in, for me they seem to take a long time but once they do the effects are strong. Tiredness and some times a little giddiness may follow as well as a calming effect and lack of motivation but these are not all bad things, as they dull down the high anxiety quite a bit. Bare in mind also that they are potent and stopping them suddenly is a bad idea as is playing around with the dose the doctor gives your friend, so if she is given 2MG do not take half the dose and save it for the next day. Take the full amount prescribed because its likely she will need it after taking Xanax for some time. As long as klonopin is given in a moderate dose there should be no withdrawal problems as you are switching not coming off of a benzodiazepine so god willing it will not cause side effects that come with withdrawing

well my future plans?
i can stay on these long term and slowly cut out the zopiclone over the next six to twelve months, but clonazepam (Klonopin) can be used long term due to its long lasting effect in the body, whereas lorazepam was given to me for short term anxiety attacks or pre social gathering anxiety, they were not given as a long term alternative to anxiety. i hope that helps and that your friend can be on the klonopin as long as she needs to be
Ok, thank you! I really appreciate your honesty as well as the time that you have taken to answer my questions. I feel the same way towards everyone else who has taken the time to comment and share their advice as well. I know where to come if I have questions, that's for sure. Do you think that it would be safe if prescribed by Dr. for Klonopin and since it takes so very long to manifest it's effects physically, do you think it would be safe to take a xanax if you feel that really anxious feeling before the Klonopin kicks in?
Heather was at her families house for Easter when all of a sudden out of no where while sitting on the couch she felt the right side of her cheek start to pull up like in the form of a twitch but a little longer and then she felt the Heat Flush in the chest area and felt really really wierd like something was going on or about to happen. She was afraid she was going to have a panic attack "Right There" in front of everyone or something worse like a seizure or something cuz of everything she heard about xanax. She was not past due her time for taking it either. Although she does drink coffee to help get over the tired feeling. What do you think that was all about?
Old 04-05-2010, 03:49 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Ever Heard of "Self Incrimination"? Might want to read my very first post. lol
The thing is, it's absolutely obvious and the rare instances where stuff like this has ended up as evidence in court, the judges/juries didn't care one bit that the post thought they were being sneaky supposedly referring to someone else...
Old 04-05-2010, 07:06 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
The thing is, it's absolutely obvious and the rare instances where stuff like this has ended up as evidence in court, the judges/juries didn't care one bit that the post thought they were being sneaky supposedly referring to someone else...
That's pretty much what I thought, but when I was on another forum they acted like the cops would come to my door and take my computers, go thru the house looking for illegal meds, take my kids away etc..... so,,,,,,,,,,, I thought I was following the rules.