X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Medication

Old 04-04-2009, 11:10 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Xanax affecting my concentration and memory

Diya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 01:40 PM   #2 (permalink)

Was your dosage the same when you noticed this or were you trying to decrease them? What other meds are you taking? Is this re-occuring or just a one time thing?
arhmt9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 02:21 PM   #3 (permalink)

I noticed that too. Maybe it's a result of the GABA receptor down-regulation they cause; who knows...?
euphoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 04:17 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diya View Post
I was prescribed Xanax about one year ago. My dose was raised to 0.5 then 0.75 mg as needed (which is 2-3 days a week). Xanax affects the cognition and memory, I know that and I noticed it when I'm under Xanax's effect, but once the effect is over I often regain my concentration and memory functions.

Recently, I noticed a gigantic drop in my concentration and memory even though I'm not under xanax's effect. It's so bad that I can't perform simple mathematical operations due to lack of concentration, and I briefly forgot my address on one occasion!!!

I don't like that at all, and I'm seriously considering going off my beloved benzo if I couldn't counter these problem..
I dont know. I have been on xanax 1mg 2x a day for around 4 years, and klonopin 1mg 2x aday for over a year and really my memory is not too bad. I think alot of my memory problems come from anxiety!!!
Old 04-07-2009, 04:07 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diya View Post
I was prescribed Xanax about one year ago. My dose was raised to 0.5 then 0.75 mg as needed (which is 2-3 days a week). Xanax affects the cognition and memory, I know that and I noticed it when I'm under Xanax's effect, but once the effect is over I often regain my concentration and memory functions.

Recently, I noticed a gigantic drop in my concentration and memory even though I'm not under xanax's effect. It's so bad that I can't perform simple mathematical operations due to lack of concentration, and I briefly forgot my address on one occasion!!!

I don't like that at all, and I'm seriously considering going off my beloved benzo if I couldn't counter these problem..

So you have concentration and memory issues even on days when you don't take Xanax? This makes me rethink my strategey of taking Klonopin on weekends only.
gordonjohnson008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 11:29 AM   #6 (permalink)

If you take it only on weekends, I doubt there would be enough time for receptor changes to interfere with memory for Monday-Friday. However I'd recommend a shorter half-life benzo for this strategy (maybe Xanax), as Kpin tends to hand around for quite a while in low levels.
euphoria is offline   Reply With Quote