Why Adderall, but not...ritalin or caffeine? - Social Anxiety Forum
X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Medication

Reply
Old 03-27-2010, 09:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
 
Status: SAS Member
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Ypsilanti/Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 71



Default Why Adderall, but not...ritalin or caffeine?

(Looks like we've moved from MAOIs to stimulants in this forum. )

Maybe this is a dumb question, but why do so many get a positive effect from amphetamines like Adderall, but not ritalin or even caffeine? They're all stimulants and they all effect dopamine, right? When I took ritalin, it gave me a little energy, but made me shaky and didn't even make me pro-social. :/

Is it about strength? Hitting different receptors?
__________________
Twitter
wassubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 09:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
 
Status: SAS Member
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Vancouver, BC
Gender: Male
Age: 29
Posts: 429



Default

Ritalin acts as a reuptake inhibitor for norepinepherine and dopamine, and amphetamines are releasing agents, so very different mechanisms of action.

I've never read up on how caffeine hits your brain, so maybe someone else can answer that.
rustybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 09:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
 
Status: Yes
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Greater Toronto Area
Gender: Male
Age: 28
Posts: 1,760



Default

I prefer BOTH MAOI + stimulant... why choose?

Adderall would probably make you shaky too, in that case. Dexedrine is ideal for people with anxiety disorders because of the favorable ratio of norepinephrine to dopamine release.

Caffeine is an adenosine antagonist, completely unrelated, and while stimulating, doesn't confer the same benefits. It's funny because I can tolerate amphetamine pretty well, but ever since I cut myself off from caffeine, it leaves me anxious all day any time I have even just a single coffee...
meyaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 09:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
 
Status: SAS Member
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 464



Default

Ive never done any stims but I would like to try an amphetamine based on all the good reports.

I have tried many drugs with little success and it seems that the only way the get a true stimulant prescribed is to have ADHD. Its as if doctors automatically think that stimulants will make SA worse.

The findings I have read about low striatal D2 receptor densities in socially phobic persons makes me think that drugs such as Adderall would be and ideal treatment. Ah well...I guess doctors are just dumber than their patients sometimes....
Himi Jendrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 09:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
 
Status: Yes
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Greater Toronto Area
Gender: Male
Age: 28
Posts: 1,760



Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Himi Jendrix View Post
Ive never done any stims but I would like to try an amphetamine based on all the good reports.

I have tried many drugs with little success and it seems that the only way the get a true stimulant prescribed is to have ADHD. Its as if doctors automatically think that stimulants will make SA worse.

The findings I have read about low striatal D2 receptor densities in socially phobic persons makes me think that drugs such as Adderall would be and ideal treatment. Ah well...I guess doctors are just dumber than their patients sometimes....
Adderall isn't really ideal... the dextrorotary stimulants like dexedrine, desoxyn, and even focalin would probably be a better fit. NE release will almost doubtlessly INCREASE anxiety, and I can tell you it definitely does. It's definitely a prosocial drug, but ESPECIALLY those with comorbid GAD, panic disorder, or even a physical aspect to their SAD, it tends to exacerbate these things.

That being said, the primary issue you're overlooking is receptor downregulation. Stimulants aren't really a preferable option for something like "low striatal D2 receptor densities" because over time it will only make this problem WORSE, not better, and so eventually the net effect even with a stimulant's dopamine release is unlikely to be much better than your old baseline. As social anxiety is almost exclusively a chronic disorder, this is a very legitimate issue. I wouldn't be so quick to dismissively call these doctors dumb, the problem just isn't so simple...
meyaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 02:05 AM   #6 (permalink)
 
Status: Freesix88
Join Date: May 2008
Gender: Male
Age: 26
Posts: 946



Default

a few beers (or benzos)+ritalin = great time.
mark555666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 02:21 AM   #7 (permalink)
 
UltraShy's Avatar
 
Status: Surrounded by Sadness
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Milwaukee, WI (BDSM sadist, Libertarian)
Gender: Male
Age: 41
Posts: 32,220



Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by meyaj View Post
I prefer BOTH MAOI + stimulant... why choose?
Probably because most doctors would prefer to prescribe neither, and almost no doctor would dare to mix the two as they're on the list of things that should not be mixed as it could kill you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meyaj View Post
Dexedrine is ideal for people with anxiety disorders because of the favorable ratio of norepinephrine to dopamine release.
Despite the strong warning that it's contraindicated in patients with significant anxiety, it sure doesn't increase my anxiety. It seems to actually have a bit of a calming effect on me.

While it clearly has a pro-social effect, I'm really taking it for the antidepressant effect. It's the only thing that lifts the veil of darkness & misery from my life, making me feel that living yet another day isn't such a bad idea.
__________________
I wonder what reason I have to live
Desperately I have searched for a meaning
Is it now time for me to let go of the world
UltraShy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 05:22 AM   #8 (permalink)
 
crayzyMed's Avatar
 
Status: The Power Of Nature
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Belguim
Gender: Male
Age: 26
Posts: 6,008



Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wassubie View Post
(Looks like we've moved from MAOIs to stimulants in this forum. )

Maybe this is a dumb question, but why do so many get a positive effect from amphetamines like Adderall, but not ritalin or even caffeine? They're all stimulants and they all effect dopamine, right? When I took ritalin, it gave me a little energy, but made me shaky and didn't even make me pro-social. :/

Is it about strength? Hitting different receptors?
I dont really know the reason why ritalin is anxiogenic and amphetamine anxiolytic, however most people here have experienced that.

Personally i love cafeine Drink lots of energy drinks a day, they help me a TON.
__________________
Disclaimer: I am not a professional, all my advice is based on my own research and experiences.

"A lie told often enough becomes the truth."
-Lenin


Loving my girl.

Anyone is free to PM me questions or ask my MSN adress.
crayzyMed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 06:40 AM   #9 (permalink)
 
jim_morrison's Avatar
 
Status: SAS Member
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Melbourne
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,005



Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustybob View Post
I've never read up on how caffeine hits your brain, so maybe someone else can answer that.
Caffeine is an adenosine antagonist, the net result of this mechanism is basically a 'tonic' increase in dopamine. Amphetamines on the other hand cause a "phasic" increase in dopamine. Whats the difference between tonic and phasic? Basically tonic is usually considered to be weaker, slower and milder during it's fase of action potential, while phasic is powerful, faster and stronger at increasing levels of the neurotransmitter (in this case dopamine) during it's action potential.
jim_morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 12:12 PM   #10 (permalink)
 
Status: SAS Member
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Ypsilanti/Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 71



Default

Thanks rock. Since you seem to know everything about meds, can you say a little more about propylhexedrine? You mentioned it once before as a cheap OTC Adderall alternative and I'm now curious...
__________________
Twitter
wassubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 11:48 PM   #11 (permalink)
 
Raptors's Avatar
 
Status: Soarin!
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: GTA, Ontario, Can
Gender: Male
Age: 22
Posts: 449



Default

RocknRoll714 Get Better and Come back!

Just a bump of the vast amount of knowledge in this thread.
Raptors is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ritalin vs Dexedrine/Adderall BearFan Medication 37 12-02-2012 06:09 AM
Adderall vs Ritalin Razorblade Kiss Medication 13 09-02-2012 03:56 PM
generic adderall as effective as straight Adderall? metamorphosis Medication 14 05-09-2010 10:19 AM
ADD Treatment - Adderall, Ritalin, etc. chris87 Medication 22 11-24-2009 06:37 PM
Ritalin SR Noca Medication 4 02-08-2008 01:53 PM

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:01 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® ©2000-2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc. User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.