X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Medication

Old 01-12-2008, 12:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Who here takes adderall and does it help you?

Who here takes adderall and does it help you? How did you get it prescribed for you?

I am basically non functioning due to depression and anxiety. I don't even want to talk or do anything outside the house or talk to people on the phone. I've tried antidepressants before, but they didn't do anything and take long to work if they do. I need something to jump start me back into doing things. All I have now is klonopin and it helps very little. I also experience facial freezing all the time and my focus in all on that. I also take classes and have a hard time concentrating on things. I think adderall might get rid of the depression and help me concentrate, but I have a hard time getting ot prescribed.
decodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 02:18 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Who here takes adderall and does it help you?

I take Adderall, and yes, it definitely does help my SA and depression. But we've already had a lengthy private message chat about that, so I don't think I should go into it again

Things I have tried:
Lexapro, Zoloft, Celexa, Prozac, Paxil, Effexor XR, Remeron, Wellbutrin SR, Eskalith CR, Topamax, Valium, Xanax, Ativan, Ambien, Restoril, Desyrel, Ritalin, Adderall, Dexedrine, Inderal, Lopressor, Thorazine, Lamictal, Abilify, Depakote, Geodon, Seroquel, doxepin, chloral hydrate
korey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 02:55 PM   #3 (permalink)

Hi Corey,

Do you take Adderall for ADD or SA and depression? I was prescribed it for motivation and energy boost, but I've only taken it a couple of times at 5mg. What's your current dose?

Take care
Flinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 05:45 PM   #4 (permalink)

I use it for motivation mostly. I can focus fairly good usually. But, it seems to help me alot of SA also when used along with celexa/lorazepam. The drug really helps me with homework when I am easily distracted by a vast array of fun things to do otherwise.
Wellington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 11:29 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flinx
Do you take Adderall for ADD or SA and depression? ... What's your current dose?
I take Adderall for just about every reason it can conceivably be prescribed for - attention problems (although I'm not officially diagnosed with ADD, but contrary to popular belief, an official diagnosis isn't required for treatment), social anxiety, treatment-resistant depression...I could probably name a few other problems that it helps me with, but I don't see much point in it.

And as for my dose (as my signature clearly states), I take 20mg twice a day for a total of 40mg each day.

Things I have tried:
Lexapro, Zoloft, Celexa, Prozac, Paxil, Effexor XR, Remeron, Wellbutrin SR, Eskalith CR, Topamax, Valium, Xanax, Ativan, Ambien, Restoril, Desyrel, Ritalin, Adderall, Dexedrine, Inderal, Lopressor, Thorazine, Lamictal, Abilify, Depakote, Geodon, Seroquel, doxepin, chloral hydrate
Old 01-13-2008, 10:22 AM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks for the info, Korey. I just started taking 10mg once a day for my lethargy problem. I was on Wellbutrin, but my Pdoc weened me off the last few weeks when she prescribed Zoloft along with Klonopin for my GAD, social anxiety and depression.

When I started the Adderall, I only took a couple of doses of it because I didn't like the wired feeling and my jaw was clenching a lot. I told my pdoc about this and she prescribed Wellbutrin instead. The Wellbutrin made my tense jaw worse, so she took me off it.

I started taking the leftover Adderall I had yesterday. I felt really good for a change. No tense jaw and I started talking more than I normally do, which is hardly ever. I use to talk a lot a couple of years ago, but my depression really kicked my butt and I hardly talk anymore. I want to be more social and be able to hold a normal conversation again. It's like my brain shut down. I didn't get the wired feeling either, which was nice.

I'm going to continue to take it until I go to my pdoc's next appointment. I will ask her for another script if everything works out. I really need help with my SA, depression and motivation. I didn't know Adderall helps with depression also. I'm glad that it helps you out with your problems.
Does the good effects of talking more stick around after it builds in your system of is it a temporary side effect? How about tolerance? How long have you been taking it?

Thanks for replying, I really need a lot of info at this time.

Take care and have a great day.
Old 01-13-2008, 02:40 PM   #7 (permalink)

Psycho-stimulants like Adderall have both the advantage and disadvantage of taking effect immediately without weeks of waiting. The positive effects generally leave along with the drug once it's metabolized, so if you go a day or so without taking a dose of it, you will almost certainly feel its absence. It's not a crash into depression or anything extreme like that, but it is noticeable.

As with every medication I can think of, gradual upping of the dose amount is usually necessary with Adderall until the most effective dose is found - the dose that works best and has the fewest side effects without losing its effectiveness.

I've been taking Adderall since July of 2007, I think.

Things I have tried:
Old 01-13-2008, 03:01 PM   #8 (permalink)

I've been using it for about a year now and never have used a dose over 10mg at once, and I take drug holidays.
Old 01-13-2008, 03:05 PM   #9 (permalink)

Adderall is a mix of amphetamine & dextroamphetamine as I recall. What's the point of mixing the two? Was this just a way for a drug company to come up with another drug to patent?

How does the effect differ from that of dextroamphetamine alone, such as in Dexadrine?
UltraShy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 03:21 PM   #10 (permalink)

I think the four amphetamine types in adderall are metabolised at different rates.
Old 01-13-2008, 03:35 PM   #11 (permalink)

I heard the Dexadrine is better then Adderall, but I doubt if my pdoc would prescribe it. I'm surprised that she gave me Adderall before trying Wellbutrin.
Old 01-13-2008, 04:13 PM   #12 (permalink)

People have less side affects on dexedrine from what I hear... I would like to try it sometime.
Old 01-13-2008, 04:38 PM   #13 (permalink)

I thought switching from Adderall to Dexedrine was a good move. It wasn't. Without the levo isomer in Adderall (that's supposedly responsible for the peripheral stimulation), I wasn't able to gauge my dosing. When I first started taking Dexedrine, I think I only slept every other night until I became more used to it. I much prefer Adderall. Its a combination of amphetamine "salts", but I think three of the four salt bases are chemically related to sugar because Adderall tablets taste sweet. Dexedrine is old and very hard to find (in my area, at least). When I first had it filled, I had to go find the nearest 24-hour Walgreens just to get a partial fill; they had to order the rest of it, and once it did arrive, they kept calling us saying that we needed to come pick it up or they were going to have to send it back. When I went to my local Walgreens (where I get all of my other prescriptions filled) a couple of weeks before I was to fill my next Dexedrine prescription, I asked the pharmacy manager to order the Dexedrine so it would arrive in time to fill my prescription. I gave her my pharmacy receipt from the first time I filled it, and it had the NDC for the pills printed on it plainly, so there should not have been any problems or mix ups. I even watched her type the order into the computer, and she told me when it should arrive. However, when I went to fill my Dexedrine prescription, the pharmacy worker said that no orders had been placed for Dexedrine and that the pharmacy didn't have any in stock. I asked if the pharmacy manager was in, but I was told that she wasn't coming back in to work until the following week. SO, I decided to hell with all the running around. I never got that prescription filled. It's in an envelope in my night stand with two other large, old, and unfilled prescriptions (those two happen to be for Ritalin, though). I realize they're no good anymore, but I keep them just for the hell of it, I guess.

Anyway, Adderall is much more popular than Dexedrine, so I can get a prescription for it filled without having to wait a week or practically be harassed on the phone.

Things I have tried:
Old 01-13-2008, 06:38 PM   #14 (permalink)

The filler in most generic adderall tablets is sugar based. I doubt the amphetamine itself is related to sugar. I've had "real" Shire manufactured adderall instant release and it wasn't sugary (it was still beady in a capsule).
Old 01-13-2008, 06:42 PM   #15 (permalink)

klonopin also tastes sweet
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."”
--Isaac Asimov

Note: majority of typos are from posting on my phone
Noca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 05:19 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellington
The filler in most generic adderall tablets is sugar based. I doubt the amphetamine itself is related to sugar. I've had "real" Shire manufactured adderall instant release and it wasn't sugary (it was still beady in a capsule).

That is genuine Shire instant release Adderall 20mg. The only type that comes in beaded capsule form is Adderall XR.

I know Wikipedia is not very credible, but the information found on its Adderall page matches up with the information in the prescribing guide at the manufacturer's website, so I hope it's trustworthy:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
* 1/4 dextroamphetamine saccharate
* 1/4 dextroamphetamine sulfate
* 1/4 aspartate (racemic dextro/laevo-amphetamine)
* 1/4 sulfate (racemic dextro/laevo-amphetamine)
Those two components are related to a sugar of some sort and are consequently sweet-tasting. There might be some plain sugar in with the tablet preparations, but the actual compounds contain "sugary" components themselves.

Things I have tried:
Old 01-14-2008, 10:02 AM   #17 (permalink)

Is Adderall XR better than standard release?
Old 01-14-2008, 10:29 AM   #18 (permalink)

I am went to a psych who had diagnosed me 2 years ago with SAD/depression and he would not prescribe Aderall for me, he prefers to stick with ssri's when I clearly stated that they do nothing for me as I have tried 3 different ones with him. He was more willing to go with MAOI's which I do not want to go with. I am almost to the point of being agorophobic due to depression and anxiety. I also have big concentration problems in public and in school because I am constantly focused internally and on what others around me are thinking. My concentration is ls also fully on my mouth area everywhere I go. I have tried some adderaal before from a friend and it helped a lot. I feel this med would take cae of my depression and concentration problems all at once and it is fast acting so I can function almost right away. I am in the process of making an appointment to another psych to try and get this medication. What would I need to tell them in order to get this?

I asked my old psych if they used to prescribe adderral or amphetamines for despression in the older days. He basically stated no and if I am looking to get adderral, its best not to bring up depression of any kind when asking for this drug. His diagnosis from the past basically did not match up to what is needed for this drug and he therefore felt uncomfortable presribing it. I have no insurance so I basically wasted my money on him. I'm tired of wasting money on docs and not getting what I feel I need. Since I'm 24 they all think that i am just trying to get this drug to abuse it. Maybe I should bring in some info from the net next time I come in or possibly drag a parent along to make it seem more legit?
decodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 10:36 AM   #19 (permalink)

I told my pdoc that I needed something for motivation, lack of energy. I asked about Provigil, but she said it would be hard to get if I didn't have Narcolepsy. She suggested Ritalin or Adderall. I accepted the Adderall. I also take Zoloft and Klonopin along with it. So far so good, but I just started on this combo.
Old 01-23-2008, 08:01 PM   #20 (permalink)

so has adderell or any ADD meds helped with shyness? or feeling more relaxed/comfortable around people? i know i need it for my really bad concentration problems but that would also be great if they worked well for my SA/shyness (in fact that would be amazing).