X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Medication

View Poll Results: Which is better for Anxiety?
Klonopin 3 60.00%
Xanax 2 40.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree8 Liked Posts

Old 11-13-2012, 03:12 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Which is better for Anxiety, Klonopin or Xanax?

My doctor offered me Klonopin , but I asked for Xanax instead. She gave me .25 mg. I just need something that stops the racing thoughts.. I only have panic attacks like once a week.. I'm already on 40 Mg Prozac for anxiety. I don't feel different with the Xanax.. Maybe it's just too low of a dose?

I'm on Adderall too.. Maybe that cancels the Xanax out?
Wednesdayx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 03:22 PM   #2 (permalink)

Would you please define 'better'?

.25 mg probably is too low of a dose. I never noticed .25 mg of xanax the first time I took it. No Adderall does not "cancel out" xanax.
istayhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:00 PM   #3 (permalink)

I had success with valium, it's not in your list though.
So far I've tried valium 10mg which was good, and ativan 2mg which was sh*t. At end of this week I will have xanax (1mg) and some free samples of bromazepam (6mg) and clonazepam(klonopin 2mg), maybe I will test them and start a thread with my findings (esp. with high doses and mixing multiple benzos together and maybe with phenobarbital added ).
chiaza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:32 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by istayhome View Post
Would you please define 'better'?

.25 mg probably is too low of a dose. I never noticed .25 mg of xanax the first time I took it. No Adderall does not "cancel out" xanax.
Could you not "quote me" like I'm an idiot?

By "better" I mean which is more effective in reducing anxiety?

I've taken .5 mg too and I felt drugged out, I guess there's no happy medium.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:35 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiaza View Post
I had success with valium, it's not in your list though.
So far I've tried valium 10mg which was good, and ativan 2mg which was sh*t. At end of this week I will have xanax (1mg) and some free samples of bromazepam (6mg) and clonazepam(klonopin 2mg), maybe I will test them and start a thread with my findings (esp. with high doses and mixing multiple benzos together and maybe with phenobarbital added ).
Yeah, if I could I'd definitely get the Valium, but from what I've heard, Doctors are really hesitant about presribing it. 1 mg of Xanax is a lot, it's just gonna make you feel drunk.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:37 PM   #6 (permalink)

I've never been on Xanax. Only Valium and Klonopin, I felt nothing from Valium, but klonopin works wonders for me.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:38 PM   #7 (permalink)

Clonazepam is said to work longer than Xanax. As in the effects last longer. So personally I'd prefer clonazepam for anxiety. It works really well for me. There both really good for anxiety. I think that it really comes down to preference.

There both very effective for anxiety that if one person says Xanax is more effective, another could say clonazepam is.
Wednesdayx likes this.
Ben12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:40 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben12 View Post
Clonazepam is said to work longer than Xanax. As in the effects last longer. So personally I'd prefer clonazepam for anxiety. It works really well for me. There both really good for anxiety. I think that it really comes down to preference.

There both very effective for anxiety that if one person says Xanax is more effective, another could say clonazepam is.
Klonopin definitely lasts for a long time. For me, it lasts all day long and into the next day.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:41 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneQuietGuy View Post
I've never been on Xanax. Only Valium and Klonopin, I prefer Klonopin big time though.
Really, Klonopin over Valium?

What does it feel like to me on each?

For example.. with Xanax, if I'm at a full public place.. My heart will start beating really fast and I'll be extremely aware of every one around me.. I'll take the Xanax and 15 minutes later I just feel really floaty and I don't care about what's going on around me.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:44 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:

Thank you. Do you feel spacey on it like Xanax? Or you just feel calm.. What does it feel like?
Old 11-13-2012, 08:45 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wednesdayx View Post

For example.. with Xanax, if I'm at a full public place.. My heart will start beating really fast and I'll be extremely aware of every one around me.. I'll take the Xanax and 15 minutes later I just feel really floaty and I don't care about what's going on around me.
Does it really work within 15 minutes? I taking clonazepam (klonopin) 2mg and it usually takes about an hour for it to kick in.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:46 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:

I feel the same way with klonopin. I'm surprised that you get that effect with just .25mg. I take about 2-3mg of klonopin to get a decent effect, but it lasts for a long time. It takes about 1-2 hours for you to feel it set in though, so it's not good for unexpected social situations.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:47 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Does it really work within 15 minutes? I taking clonazepam (klonopin) 2mg and it usually takes about an hour for it to kick in.
Yess.. 15 minutes. That's why it's so great. Good for panic attacks. You do feel all drugged up though, and it lasts only about 45 mins to an hour.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:47 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Thank you. Do you feel spacey on it like Xanax? Or you just feel calm.. What does it feel like?
It makes you feel calm. Not spacey at all. It's very good for preventing anxiety from the seroquel that I take.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:49 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Yess.. 15 minutes. That's why it's so great. Good for panic attacks. You do feel all drugged up though, and it lasts only about 45 mins to an hour.
Some people can develop tolerances to that drugged up feeling or the sedation or the spacey feeling that you get. So it might go away over time. Can't say for sure but when I first started the clonazepam it made me a bit tired but now I don't get tired from it at all. Just a nice calm feeling.

But yeah wow if Xanax works that fast I might ask for that instead of the clonazepam.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:50 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneQuietGuy View Post
I feel the same way with klonopin. I'm surprised that you get that effect with just .25mg. I take about 2-3mg of klonopin to get a decent effect, but it lasts for a long time. It takes about 1-2 hours for you to feel it set in though, so it's not good for unexpected social situations.
No, that's with .5 mg. My mom gets that dose prescribed, she used to give them to me before I got diagnosed. I know I could always just take two of my .25 mg but I only get 30 and that wouldn't last me very long.. That's why I'm trying to see if I should just switch to something else.. I doubt they'd give me a higher dose of Xanax, they'd probably think I was just trying to get high.

The dosages are probably just different.. Like you have to take 40 MG of Prozac but yet only 0.5 of Xanax.. Idk ill google it.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:54 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Some people can develop tolerances to that drugged up feeling or the sedation or the spacey feeling that you get. So it might go away over time. Can't say for sure but when I first started the clonazepam it made me a bit tired but now I don't get tired from it at all. Just a nice calm feeling.

But yeah wow if Xanax works that fast I might ask for that instead of the clonazepam.
I've taken it awhile.. Still feel the same everytime. My Doctor offered me Klonopin first, but I told her that I'd rather have Xanax because of my panic attacks. I asked my mom if there was anything that worked as well as Xanax and lasted as long as Klonopin and she said Valium, but it's hard to get.. :/

Do you have to take K every day or just as needed?
Old 11-13-2012, 08:57 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
No, that's with .5 mg. My mom gets that dose prescribed, she used to give them to me before I got diagnosed. I know I could always just take two of my .25 mg but I only get 30 and that wouldn't last me very long.. That's why I'm trying to see if I should just switch to something else.. I doubt they'd give me a higher dose of Xanax, they'd probably think I was just trying to get high.

The dosages are probably just different.. Like you have to take 40 MG of Prozac but yet only 0.5 of Xanax.. Idk ill google it.
Xanax and Klonopin are pretty potent benzos, I have been taking benzos for about 3 1/2 years now so my tolerance must be higher.

I've never understood how someone can take benzos to get high? They don't produce any kind of effect that feels like being high.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:58 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Could you not "quote me" like I'm an idiot?

By "better" I mean which is more effective in reducing anxiety?

I've taken .5 mg too and I felt drugged out, I guess there's no happy medium.
Why do people on the internet behave in such a way that they would never behave in real life? I'm sorry if you took offense, I was trying to best answer your question. Apparently you feel very defensive and you would rather be rude than have my input. Well, best of luck to you.
istayhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:59 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
I've taken it awhile.. Still feel the same everytime. My Doctor offered me Klonopin first, but I told her that I'd rather have Xanax because of my panic attacks. I asked my mom if there was anything that worked as well as Xanax and lasted as long as Klonopin and she said Valium, but it's hard to get.. :/

Do you have to take K every day or just as needed?
I only need to take 2mg at night. I don't really get much in the way of overwhelming anxiety during the day anymore. I'll take it every night though even if I'm not anxious because the anxiety from the seroquel just sort of hits you quickly and then your in trouble. I've learned that its better to just avoid the anxiety from coming from the seroquel by taking the clonazepam an hour before taking the seroquel.