X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Medication

Old 04-29-2008, 11:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
X33

Default What's the strongest SSRI for SA?

Prozac didn't help me. What should I go for next? THANKS
X33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 02:00 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: What's the strongest SSRI for SA?

paxil
michaelyuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 07:50 AM   #3 (permalink)

definitely Paxil in my experience
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."”
--Isaac Asimov

Note: majority of typos are from posting on my phone
Noca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 07:57 AM   #4 (permalink)

Lexapro.

Although I didn't past the initial stage of Paxil due to a bad reaction that made me punch a hole in a wall and want to kill people with my bare hands. don't let that scare you though, I'm sure I was one of those .01% weird rare reaction cases or something.
Old 04-30-2008, 09:52 AM   #5 (permalink)

I remember trying paxil 5 years ago and gave me a euphoric type of feeling as opposed to sertraline and clonazepam make me feel lethargic and tired, weak, but do also help with anxiety.

-------------------------------------------------------
CopadoMexicano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 10:22 AM   #6 (permalink)

I only took Paxil, so I can't comment on the other SSRI's, but the first time I took Paxil, I actually felt confident in alot of situations I wasn't before. I took more chances and was more outgoing and less paranoid. I quit Paxil for 5 years, but now I'm back on it again. I just started taking it last week, so it's still early, but so far I haven't really noticed any changes. I have the side effects, but no real positive changes yet.
tednugent2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 11:39 AM   #7 (permalink)

I am back on Paxil (second day) and I am doing better now. Also take Xanax 0.5 mg x 2. Used Lexapro before, and did nothing for my SA and depression after a month. Paxil is the best SSRI for me but I take it with xanax.

Other antidepressants I have used:

SNRI: Efexor, Cymbalta: both had terrible sideeffects like instant intense stomach pain.
Remeron: good for sleep and works better than many AD on depression, but I felt weaker in muscles. And I gained many pounds in short time.

SSRI: Celexa: Some relief in depression. Nothing for anxiety.
Luvox: Terrible side effects and had to stop taking them, so do not know how if the work.
thor_no is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 11:41 AM   #8 (permalink)

Old 04-30-2008, 12:38 PM   #9 (permalink)

I don't think there is any strongest SSRI for SA -- if there is I sure haven't seen any studies comparing SSRIs for efficacy (in SA nor any other disorders).

I suspect this, like so many drug issues, can only be answered with YMMV.

Paxil will be a common answer you'll get simply because way back in 2000 they were the first drug to ever get FDA approval for treatment of SA and they went wild with what must have been the largest psych med direct-to-consumer marketing campaign ever talking about how it was the magic pill for SA. That alone will forever link Paxil & SA, even though it all has to do with marketing and in no way suggests that it's the best for SA. My experience: Paxil sucks, being nothing but an anti-orgasm pill.
UltraShy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 01:20 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraShy
My experience: Paxil sucks, being nothing but an anti-orgasm pill.
I have yet to experience a SSRI without negative, sexual side effects. In my experience the SNRI, Remeron, and the RIMA, Aurorix (Moclobemide), have been superior to any other antidepressants I've tried when it comes to not having negative, sexual side effects. But Remeron had other negative side effect issues as contstant apetite and weight gain. Paxil did not have the worst sexual side effects on me. For me Lexapro was the worst. It was not only an antiorgasm pill, but an "impotence pill".
Old 04-30-2008, 01:42 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thor_no
Quote:
I have yet to experience a SSRI without negative, sexual side effects. In my experience the SNRI, Remeron, and the RIMA, Aurorix (Moclobemide), have been superior to any other antidepressants I've tried when it comes to not having negative, sexual side effects. But Remeron had other negative side effect issues as contstant apetite and weight gain. Paxil did not have the worst sexual side effects on me. For me Lexapro was the worst. It was not only an antiorgasm pill, but an "impotence pill".
I must have testosterone in reserve cause I take 20mg's of Paxil and have not had any sexual difficulties.
Old 04-30-2008, 01:57 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Quote:
Remeron is not an SNRI
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."”
--Isaac Asimov

Note: majority of typos are from posting on my phone
Noca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 02:22 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noca
Quote:
Quote:
Remeron is not an SNRI
Sorry. You are right of course. Remeron is not an SNRI, but a noradrenergic and selective serotonergic antidepressant (NaSSA ). Thanks for correcting.
Old 04-30-2008, 02:41 PM   #14 (permalink)

maybe effexor - helped me

tis an snri
On to concentrate on bright things Stuck around in hopes to help, didnt seem like there was much left I could do anymore ... good luck and comfort to those who are on their own path and hope for those yet to take their first step! Much Love
yeah_yeah_yeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 03:29 PM   #15 (permalink)

paxil made me want to kill things too. it was scary. wont touch that stuff again!
eightee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 03:31 PM   #16 (permalink)

I too had the murderous vibe on it
On to concentrate on bright things Stuck around in hopes to help, didnt seem like there was much left I could do anymore ... good luck and comfort to those who are on their own path and hope for those yet to take their first step! Much Love
Old 04-30-2008, 04:06 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightee
paxil made me want to kill things too. it was scary. wont touch that stuff again!
wow glad I wasn't the only one.
Old 04-30-2008, 05:13 PM   #18 (permalink)

Oh dear - she became the pennsylvania paxil pugnacious parallel personality ...

NUTCRUNCHER
Old 04-30-2008, 06:55 PM   #19 (permalink)
X33

Thanks for the responses everyone.

It seems like if you have to take an SSRI, then you should go for 1. Paxil, 2. Lexapro, 3. Effexor (ranked in no particular order).

My doc. put me on Xanax :-P but I am sure this will helpful to other people who have docs not willing to prescribe benzos.
X33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 08:20 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianG
What should I go for next?
Im not entirely clear if your dead set on other SSRIs or contemplating other avenues of pharmaceutical therapy but...having tried 3 myself and having trolled this board for several years now, the general consensus on SSRIs is they suck balls for SA. The benefits -if any- are usually secondary and almost definitely outweighed by the mass of very crappy side effects. However, dont let my cynicism discourage you from trying others out as you may find one that works for you. They still reign supreme as first line treatment for a couple of reasons:

A) still profitable
B) not subject to potential abuse
C) High therapeutic index and/or less contraindications