X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Medication

Old 11-29-2007, 03:22 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default whats does klonopin do?

what does klonopin do to your brain to calm social anxiety like what chemicals does it react with dopamine gaba ? I finally got the balls to call a doctor and tomorrow i will ask him if he will prescribe it. Thanks
vicaversa6922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 03:32 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: whats does klonopin do?

it calms you down, thats about all you need to know about it.
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."”
--Isaac Asimov

Quitting while you are ahead isn't the same thing as quitting; lesser known fact
Noca is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 03:36 PM   #3 (permalink)

heres what i found ... benzodiazepines act by enhancing the effects of gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA) If picamilon didn't work by increasing gaba why do you guys think this would work?
Old 11-29-2007, 03:58 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicaversa6922
heres what i found ... benzodiazepines act by enhancing the effects of gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA)
yep sounds about right
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."”
--Isaac Asimov

Quitting while you are ahead isn't the same thing as quitting; lesser known fact
Old 11-29-2007, 03:59 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicaversa6922
If picamilon didn't work by increasing gaba why do you guys think this would work?
I have no idea what picamilon is and ive heard of and tried many many many drugs.
--Isaac Asimov

Old 11-29-2007, 03:59 PM   #6 (permalink)

ok my bad it enhances the effects of gaba but doesn't increase it.
Old 11-29-2007, 04:01 PM   #7 (permalink)

picamilon is gaba bonded with niacin b vitamin the niacin lets the gaba cross the blood brian barrier.
Old 11-30-2007, 12:06 AM   #8 (permalink)

Benzos like Klonopin arre GABA agonists. This means that it does not "add" GABA but rather it makes what you have bind better.

I have heard that they have a least some effect on Serotonin as well.
scotthallkevinnash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 03:39 PM   #9 (permalink)

Location: Las Vegas, but I live anything but the Las Vegas lifestyle

This may explain in part why I felt nothing when taking Picamilon, but for Klonopin I did.

Perhaps there's already 'enough' GABA in my brain; meaning, it's already saturated. It only needs to be activated.

Knowing what I knew about Picamilon at the time - GABA bonded to niacin for easy cross-over into the BBB - I had expected it to work, only to find out that it didn't. And that's assuming that it is getting into the blood and not being quickly absorbed in the stomach. Without actually analyzing the blood, it would be hard to say.

And since the GABA just needed to be activated, which is what benzos primarily do, then that would explain why it worked extremely well in the beginning.

Looking at my still-unused Picamilon bottles, the average dose is 100mg. I've taken a few times that amount at a time without feeling anything, even though I've anticipated it. So if the GABA is already saturated, then taking a standard dosage, or many times the standard dosage, would both result in little to no feeling.

The question then becomes, for those oversatured people, how to activate it properly. With extreme resistence to Klonopin now, even though it still works better to anything else I've tried, including Xanax and Ativan, then how might the naturally-existing GABA get bound or activated again.

I guess that's easier said than done. The mechanism by which benzos work has already been adapted to by the brain - for the most part, anyway - and so only a different mechanism will do. The same with Phenibut - different mechanism, resulting in working for a time, and then nothing. The general consensus is that benzos work short-term for a majority of people, while MAOIs work long-term for a majority of people. As much as I didn't want to go the MAOI route, due to cost and possible long-term side-effects, it seemed to be the next-best thing, and with any luck, will work better than benzos do.

I don't think I'll be holding my breath though, even when, or if, I do receive it. Spending many hours reading post after post on Dr. Bob and anxietyhelp.org for the preparation of it is exhausting enough.
Formerly Artie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 05:01 PM   #10 (permalink)

Alcohol like effects
-Physical(muscles) and psychological relaxant.
-Mildly sedative.
-Dizyness and loss of balance at first.

except you don't have the loss of judgement and reflexes, sweating and looking/feeling drunk in general.
and the hangover...

I get weird small back pain sometimes and 0.5 mg of Klonopin totally get rid of it.
Bandit6 is offline   Reply With Quote