X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Medication

Old 05-17-2007, 08:12 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default what type of doctor prescribes meds?

I'm looking through online listings of doctors in my area. I am only looking for someone to prescribe meds to me. Do those type of meds-only doctors fall under the title psychologist or phsychiatrist? I doubt I should call the psychotherapists.
nesteroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 08:16 AM   #2 (permalink)

Psychiatrists and GP's are going to where you get your meds from. In a couple of states psychologists can prescribe meds like Louisiana but the majority dont allow them to.

Have you tried meds before? If not, I suggest you just go to a GP as you will most likely get prescribed an SSRI to start with.
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."”
--Isaac Asimov

Quitting while you are ahead isn't the same thing as quitting; lesser known fact
Noca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 08:22 AM   #3 (permalink)

Default re: what type of doctor prescribes meds?

I've been on meds before but they weren't my prescription, so I have some idea of what works, though I don't know how to broach that subject with a doctor.

I would normally go to a GP but I need to find a sliding scale doctor. I wonder how difficult it is to find a sliding scale GP as opposed to psychiatrist.
Old 05-17-2007, 08:26 AM   #4 (permalink)

Default Re: re: what type of doctor prescribes meds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nesteroff
I've been on meds before but they weren't my prescription, so I have some idea of what works, though I don't know how to broach that subject with a doctor.

I would normally go to a GP but I need to find a sliding scale doctor. I wonder how difficult it is to find a sliding scale GP as opposed to psychiatrist.
a GP is going to be cheaper than a psychiatrist.
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."”
--Isaac Asimov

Quitting while you are ahead isn't the same thing as quitting; lesser known fact
Old 05-17-2007, 08:53 AM   #5 (permalink)

Are GPs usually knowledgeable about this kind of thing? We have a family doctor, but I don't really even know if I'd feel comfortable talking about SA/depression crap with him. I wouldn't really even know what to say. I imagine a scenario of going to him and saying something like, "I believe I have Social Anxiety Disorder and I was hoping I could get some medication for it." and having him just look at me with a weird expression.
njodis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 08:56 AM   #6 (permalink)

GP's have heard it all. They arent shocked to hear about SA or depression.
--Isaac Asimov

Old 05-17-2007, 09:22 AM   #7 (permalink)

Oh well I can't find any sliding scale doctors anyway, gp or psychiatrist.
Old 05-17-2007, 11:59 AM   #8 (permalink)

I have much better chances of getting meds from my psychiatrist than I would from my GP.
Old 05-17-2007, 10:46 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDG 124
I have much better chances of getting meds from my psychiatrist than I would from my GP.
You're right that a psychiatrist who deals with mental health exclusively is much more likely to prescribe things like benzos, MAOIs, and amphetamines as these are things he should be quite familiar with as they are part of his field.

But if one is just starting treatment they could just go to a GP. After all, the standard first line treatment is SSRIs and any GP can hand those out. Psychiatrists are where GPs send you when they're stumped or you need drugs they're afraid to prescribe.
UltraShy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 03:20 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Njodis
Are GPs usually knowledgeable about this kind of thing? We have a family doctor, but I don't really even know if I'd feel comfortable talking about SA/depression crap with him. I wouldn't really even know what to say. I imagine a scenario of going to him and saying something like, "I believe I have Social Anxiety Disorder and I was hoping I could get some medication for it." and having him just look at me with a weird expression.
You're doctor will not be shocked by any means. They've heard and seen a wiiiide variety of cases over and over again, especially as a GP. He's exposed to so many different patient concerns that he's probably desensitized by now.

A patient with social anxiety and depression will be one of the easier cases. It's not too hard to diagnose and they treat people with SSRI's everyday.

If you feel uncomfortable say social anxiety, you can just say anxiety. GAD is such a common diagnosis in general practice. He'll know what options to give you.

BTW, I used to have a huge wall poster of that wet kitty in your avatar when I was in 2nd grade! So cute! I think the caption was, "It's not easy being me."
jealibeanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 05:52 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraShy
But if one is just starting treatment they could just go to a GP. After all, the standard first line treatment is SSRIs and any GP can hand those out. Psychiatrists are where GPs send you when they're stumped or you need drugs they're afraid to prescribe.
Will a psychiatrist wonder why I didn't go to a GP first? Do they prefer to have people referred to them, or does it matter? I wonder if this is why I'm having so much trouble finding a psychiatrist online. Maybe people mostly go to them through their GPs?

I don't have a GP, btw. I haven't been to any kind of doctor in over 6 years.
Old 05-18-2007, 06:12 AM   #12 (permalink)

My advice would be to start with a GP. Just ask around about the different doc's in the area. See if any friends, relatives, or coworkers have a doctor who they love/like/hate. There's a wide range of personalities and styles. Some are super-nice, some are just there, and some are basically over-worked robotic people who hate their job and let you know it.

In my experience, the most empathetic doctors I've met were GP's (but I've met some who I didn't care for as well). They tend to be very people and family oriented. They see a wide range of patients. They aren't treating just psych patients which I believe tends to make pdocs overly biased, hardened, frustrated, and cold (sure, there are exceptions).

They don't have the expertise that psychiatrists have, but that doesn't always matter, especially if they're going to start you with and anti-depressant. Nonetheless, they have experience because most people, at least in the US, use their primary care doctors for anxiety and depression treatment. They feel comfortable with those two disorders.

Psychiatry isn't an easy profession. It's just diagnosis and then trial after trial until you stumble on a medication that might work. In my opinion, pdocs tend to think their patients are "crazy" until proven otherwise. And if it's an easy case, they probably wonder why you are seeing a GP.

Psychiatrists usually do have a long wait-list and typically you have to go through a prelimary screening before even seeing the doctor for possible medications. GP's will give you a medication the day you walk in. If you didn't you to your GP first, the pdoc may wonder why you're there.
jealibeanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 06:31 AM   #13 (permalink)

For some reason the thought of going to a GP is terrifying. I just feel like I would stand out as one of the "crazy" patients. I have this horrible image of having to explain my problems a lot more (embarrassing) and going into a lot more detail, because, while GPs have seen it all, mental problems aren't what they exclusively deal with all the time.
Old 05-18-2007, 07:07 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
For some reason the thought of going to a GP is terrifying. I just feel like I would stand out as one of the "crazy" patients. I have this horrible image of having to explain my problems a lot more (embarrassing) and going into a lot more detail, because, while GPs have seen it all, mental problems aren't what they exclusively deal with all the time.
thinking that they dont know anything about mental health and that they will think you are crazy is an irrational fear.
--Isaac Asimov

Old 05-18-2007, 01:22 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noca
thinking that they dont know anything about mental health and that they will think you are crazy is an irrational fear.
I know it's an irrational fear. So is SA. Unfortunately, telling myself that isn't going to make going any easier.
Old 05-18-2007, 02:40 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noca
I know it's an irrational fear. So is SA. Unfortunately, telling myself that isn't going to make going any easier.
the sooner you take that leap of faith the sooner you are going to begin treatment for your SA
--Isaac Asimov

Old 05-18-2007, 02:44 PM   #17 (permalink)

With all financial issues aside, nesteroff, I would start with a psychiatrist.
Old 05-18-2007, 03:46 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
For some reason the thought of going to a GP is terrifying. I just feel like I would stand out as one of the "crazy" patients
If you were a GP which would you prefer to come to your office:

1) A guy who complains that he feels nervous in social situations. You give him an SSRI and send him on his way.

2) An older man who complains that he has trouble peeing, suggesting an enlarged prostate, so you have to shove your finger up his ***.

I don't know about you, but I'd sure prefer to deal with patient #1 who requires me to stick no part of my body into places I don't want to go.
UltraShy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 04:15 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDG 124
With all financial issues aside, nesteroff, I would start with a psychiatrist.
So you would go straight to a psychiatrist over a GP? Any reason why?
Old 05-19-2007, 06:25 AM   #20 (permalink)

Hey nesteroff,

I really like my doctor. She is a DO and she has a very wholistic approach to health. I was amazed at all the different suggestions she had for me concerning my mental issues. She was very empathetic and didn't try to rush during my appointment. I would even be willing to call for you, and find out if she is accepting new patients and how much an uninsured visit would cost.
cicada is offline   Reply With Quote