Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Medication

Like Tree1 Liked Posts
  • 1 Post By guyny

Old 04-07-2010, 02:47 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default What is the best GENERIC form for Klonopin???

Hello, I have been doing a lot of research online with regard to the generic form of Klonopin (clonazapam). It sounds as if there are about 3 that top the most popular and are held at CVS, Wallgreens, as well as other pharmacies.
Some people claim that some of the generic brands are practically placebos??
I want to know what peoples experience has been with this and which one they consider to be the best and what pharmacy they use???

Thanks!
Heatherx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 03:44 PM   #2 (permalink)

any generic bought in the USA will be OK, the generics bought thru the net are doubtful
klonapin and all other benzos are spoiled by hot storage and this can happen before you get them, they are often delivered in unrefrigerated vans to pharmacies on hot days

some generics are identical to the brand meds, being made by the big drug cos and packaged under different names
arth98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 04:09 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arth98 View Post
any generic bought in the USA will be OK, the generics bought thru the net are doubtful
klonapin and all other benzos are spoiled by hot storage and this can happen before you get them, they are often delivered in unrefrigerated vans to pharmacies on hot days

some generics are identical to the brand meds, being made by the big drug cos and packaged under different names
Ok, well that's good to know. I was wondering because I found this site that I was reading while researching about Klonopin and they kept talking about how they would get different results from different types of generics. That some were more or less effective or even worthless. Apparently the same ingredients were in the medicines, however do to additives and fillers? The
rate of absorbtion could be compromised tremendously. Also they made mention of some sources KNOWING there are placebos out there.

I always wondered about that because I have been on Prozac generic for years now and they look completely different sometimes. For instance the ones I have now are capsules and the ones I had last month were white tablets like skinny foot balls. When taking those I felt withdraw effects. This has happened on different occasions. It's as if the dosage is waaaaaay lower or something and I start getting those zaps that are associated with the withdraw of this medication. I get my prescription from the same Walgreens everytime, just they look different sometimes.

I figured they were all the same until I experienced this and wondered if I was being given placebos due to the effect it was having on me. This is before I ever even learned there were different generics ect.... I have learned a lot since looking into information on Benzos and all because I started taking xanax a few weeks ago. Now I feel like I'm screwed!
Old 04-07-2010, 05:46 PM   #4 (permalink)

Hey heather
you are most best to take a non generic of klonopin, it will work better
and you know what you are getting
i am on the orange 0.5 klonopin tablets, they are not generics although i would say they are XR which means extended release cuz they take a good hour or four to work lol but that apparently is not normal or common
i know in the states u can clonazepam (klonopin) wafers which dissolve under the tongue, you are best to ask your doc about them

Do you think we choose the times into which we are born? Or do we fit the times we are born into?-Abraham Lincoln
Arisa1536 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 01:03 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arisa1536 View Post
i am on the orange 0.5 klonopin tablets, they are not generics although i would say they are XR which means extended release cuz they take a good hour or four to work lol but that apparently is not normal or common
i know in the states u can clonazepam (klonopin) wafers which dissolve under the tongue, you are best to ask your doc about them
Klonopin doesn't exist in XR form nor does it need to since it's half life is already long enough, and if anything does come in exteneded release form it would specify either "XR", or "CR" (controlled release) on the packet.
As for Klonopin wafers, they are chemically exactly the same as regular klonopin pills, they just dissolve sublingually (under the tongue) and diffuse into the blood tissue under the tongue, thuss bypassing the breakdown a pill form of a drug would usually go through in the gastrointestinal tract, then the liver (known as first pass metabolism), before readily entering the bloodstream which ofcourse takes time.
jim_morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 04:22 PM   #6 (permalink)

klonapin wafers were originally developed for panic attacks, anything under the tongue,including tablets, gets into the system sooner
see 'sublingually' on the net
arth98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 05:45 PM   #7 (permalink)

interesting, i just thought because they took so long to work that they would be XR but you are right they do not say XR or IR or anything like that on them

can someone tell me what a generic form of a benzodiazepine would be?
to be honest i did not know you could get them, i thought the doc prescribed the actual benzo chemical itself and not a generic form of it

but i guess a generic would be cheaper if you live in a country where medication is not funded or covered by health insurance???????

Do you think we choose the times into which we are born? Or do we fit the times we are born into?-Abraham Lincoln
Old 04-08-2010, 08:55 PM   #8 (permalink)

Usually even in countries that fund prescriptions, they will only fund the generics completely. At best, if you insist on a brand name, they will cover the cost of generic and make you pay the difference.

But yes, the doctor IS prescribing "the actual benzo chemical itself". When you talk about generic drugs, you are simply talking about the manufacturer/name of the drug, not the chemical itself.

Basically, when a new drug is invented, the company who invented it gets a patent for a certain number of years giving them the rights to be the ONLY manufacturer of the drug. This is because drug development is expensive so they need a chance to recover their costs. If they weren't given the initial monopoly, there wouldn't be much incentive to develop new drugs. So they'll release the drug with a name created by their marketing people, which is though of as the "brand name". Klonopin/Rivotril is an example of a brand name.

When the patent expires, other companies are then allowed to manufacture the drug. In most developed countries, they do not have to go through the same development costs and studies in order to have their version of the drug approved, but they have to prove to the governing organization that the drug is "bioequivalent", which basically means that their version of the drug is nearly identical in terms of how much of the drug is ultimately absorbed by the body. When they put these "clone" drugs out on the market, they don't usually come out with their own brand name, they just label it as the name of the drug, which some people call the "generic" name. For Klonopin/Rivotril, the "generic name" is clonazepam. The drug is technically the same, the only real difference is that it's being made by a company that does not have the sole manufacturing rights that were granted by the original patent. Many companies that make generic drugs SPECIALIZE in producing generic drugs and don't have much of a research and development arm of their own. So, when generic drugs finally hit the market, there are now a bunch of companies competing to sell the drug instead of just the one "brand name" that has a monopoly and practically gets to set their price. And since there's competition, the prices are driven down.

But a lot of people know the brand name and only trust the brand name, even if the generics are identical. So the brand name can still often get away with charging a bit more. But the vast majority sold after the patent will be generic. In fact, here in Canada anyways (where we pay for our own drugs), if the doctor writes a prescription using the brand name, the pharmacist is obligated to either give you the generic drug instead, or at least inform you that a generic is available and that it's not really any different. There are some exceptions though, such as certain heart meds, where even a TINY difference in bioequivalence which is normally thought to be acceptable, can be dangerous for the patient.

There's also another exception regarding SOME XR/time release pills. Wellbutrin XL is a recent example. The patent on the drug itself is expired, so companies are able to manufacture a generic form of it. But the company also has a patent on the specific XR delivery system used in the pill, so the generic manufacturers have to use different, older systems for the pill, making it technically not identical. Roughly the same amount of the drug ultimately gets absorbed by the body, but sometimes at extremely different rate. Some people that were switch from the brand name to the exact same dosage of generic were becoming nauseous and vomiting because the generic was releasing the drug into the bloodstream MUCH more quickly. This kind of situation is very unusual though and not something that could realistically happen with an IR drug like Klonopin/clonazepam, all the generics should be pretty much identical.
meyaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 01:11 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
interesting, i just thought because they took so long to work that they would be XR but you are right they do not say XR or IR or anything like that on them
It has more to do with time to hit peak plasma concentration based on the unique pharmacokinetics of each drug, using benzos as an example; xanax will hit it's peak (highest) plasma concentration in the bloodstream within about 30 mins so you'll noticably feel it's effects quickly, and then the effects last for a few hours and then leave. As for clonazepam it doesn't really hit it's peak plasma concentration until a few hours in, so effects should start to kick in gradually within about 1-2 hours after taking it depending on other factors, then gradually amp up and hit the peak at about 3-4 hours, the effect should then stay in prominence up until about hour 8 or thereabouts and then gradually start to drop off, although minor effects may still be felt for up to a day.
Old 04-09-2010, 06:09 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_morrison View Post
It has more to do with time to hit peak plasma concentration based on the unique pharmacokinetics of each drug, using benzos as an example; xanax will hit it's peak (highest) plasma concentration in the bloodstream within about 30 mins so you'll noticably feel it's effects quickly, and then the effects last for a few hours and then leave. As for clonazepam it doesn't really hit it's peak plasma concentration until a few hours in, so effects should start to kick in gradually within about 1-2 hours after taking it depending on other factors, then gradually amp up and hit the peak at about 3-4 hours, the effect should then stay in prominence up until about hour 8 or thereabouts and then gradually start to drop off, although minor effects may still be felt for up to a day.
ah okay gotcha

Old 04-09-2010, 07:06 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
ah okay gotcha
Is that pretty much how you feel Arisa when you are on it? Because that
sounds good to me. As you know, I have been taking xanax, and I really like it, but I know my Dr. won't want to prescribe it for me. I know that he will prescribe the klonopin though.

Has anyone every been on something like klonopin for quite a while and
then take a valium every great once and a while? I wonder what the effects of that would be? It would probobly just knock you out. Some people say
they like the way Klonopin keeps your "body" at ease, but valium has a different effect in that it tends to keep you "mind" more calm.

I want the best of both worlds. lol
Old 04-09-2010, 09:39 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Klonopin doesn't exist in XR form
Well, not yet anyhow. Maybe some drug company desperate for a new patent & profits will come up with a pointless XR version.

There is an extended release version of Valium, after all (not that I've ever heard of it being used). Valium also has a rectal gel version -- I guess for those who you want to tell where to shove it.
UltraShy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 09:47 PM   #13 (permalink)

i would like a Xanax depot injection plz
Old 04-10-2010, 01:37 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraShy View Post
Valium also has a rectal gel version -- I guess for those who you want to tell where to shove it.
LMAO, well I can definitaly see that product being a big hit with consumers.
Old 04-10-2010, 12:10 PM   #15 (permalink)

Rectal absorption is very rapid (effects within minutes, and a lot of recreational users are increasingly using this route ), and I believe the product is for caregivers of it to use it on people having a cluster of frequent and multiple seizures. Only the IV diazepam can compare in speed of onset, but this is difficult outside a hospital (especially when you're dealing with a cluster of seizures!) and especially on small kids. The rectal gel is actually even considered a first-line agent for seizures like these, it's surprisingly a very popular product.
Old 04-25-2012, 01:29 PM   #16 (permalink)

Cool Best Generic Klonopin

Hi,
I have tried all different brands. Teva was so bad, that it sent me on a journey of hours of study to find this little known, but incredible brand.
Activas makes the best generic.
When my pharmacy ordered it for me, the 1st time I took it, it was like taking a benzo for the 1st time. My body felt warm, and I had not a care in the world. The results are still there 6 months after starting them.
Google Activas in the USA, and you can find a list of products they make. I switched to Wellbutrin XL 150, and the effective results are amazing.
They take pride in their products. They are a little known company that is gaining in popularity as people discover them.
Currently, I was doing a search of Generic Opana, to discover, that they are getting ready to release a brand name pain reliever. To release brand name products are unheard of by generic company knock offs, but their world wide extensive research and development department, allows them to do what other generic companies would not think of, wasting their money on creating a brand name drug.
I bought a list of drugs that Actavis makes to my pharmacy that I take, and asked them to please order any of these drugs I was taking from Actavis. They were happy to do so, because their wholesale prices are so competitive with other generic companies.
Good luck, and I hope this helps anyone else on Klonopin, or Xanax (as they make the under the tongue (OCD) Xanax) and any other drug they make, as their pain medication is rated as Number 1 across the board on all the forums.
If I was in the stock market, I would invest in them today, because their name brand pain medication will hit the market end of July.

I am not an employee or have nothing to gain by talking about Activas. But after years of having substandard medications, I was floored to find a drug company that lives up too, and in some cases surpasses the name brand drugs.

guyny
guyny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 01:40 PM   #17 (permalink)

Cool xanax xr

Quote:

The only exception to xanax xr, not the ocd, is Greenstone. Greenstone is actually a sub company of Phizer many years ago that created this sub company and sold XanaX xr, with exclusive rights for 6 months.
That makes Greenstone the best, because it is the exact drug made by the same company (under a different name). Ive had other brands, just ok, but greenstone has a cool shape and an even plasma level for me. I prefer Klonopin, but I needed extended release so I would not wake up to panic attacks, even when I tripled my dose of Klonopin, I still work up with anxiety, otherwise I would be on Activas Klonopin
Good luck.
Old 04-25-2012, 01:47 PM   #18 (permalink)

Cool valium should be used more often

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraShy View Post
Well, not yet anyhow. Maybe some drug company desperate for a new patent & profits will come up with a pointless XR version.

There is an extended release version of Valium, after all (not that I've ever heard of it being used). Valium also has a rectal gel version -- I guess for those who you want to tell where to shove it.
Every psychiatrist I have ever been too agree, that in the 70's when benzos took off like wild fire, valium was the drug being used, so it has a bad image as being the most addictive (which its not), the most physical independence
(which its not). So it got a bad reputation, and even though it is the most effective, it just is not used that much. I was on it for 2 years, was the best 2 years of my life. I did not built a tolerance and all that other crap they claim, just that XanaX came along, and everyone hopped on the xanax band wagon because their false claim was that it cured anxiety (which is true) and it cured depression, so an anti depressant was not needed, (which only had some truth) as xanax works mainly on the mind, and the others work on mind and body, and depressing the body after period of time, could lead to true depression.
swim likes this.
Old 09-02-2013, 10:07 PM   #19 (permalink)

Ok im new so forgive me if I make a few mistakes are not using the proper etiquette . This is all pretty new to me chats ,forums , and blogs. I started reading and had lots of questions a few have been answered but seem to be a lot of controversy or different opinions on many issues I've been taking .5 klonopin for over a year now two or three a day and somtimes if I have plenty of klonopin and times are hard I might take extra in times of heightened anxiety . My problem is I get a sour stomach are bad belches from them and I was wondering will klonopin wafers cause less irritation
dustybottoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 12:30 PM   #20 (permalink)

I have always used Teva. There was one time that I had to go to a different pharmacy with a different generic. I could tell a marked difference of about 2/3 potency or a bit lower. Don't remember the pharma. companies name though.
metamorphosis is offline   Reply With Quote