What is the best drug or supplement for restoring Dopamine levels? - Social Anxiety Forum
X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Medication

Like Tree14 Liked Posts

Old 12-24-2011, 07:37 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default What is the best drug or supplement for restoring Dopamine levels?

Hello everybody,

I am more and more bieng convinced that i have dopamine issues. I have low motivation, low concentration , low energy, low attention.. and many other symptoms for Dopamine difficiency.

I believe this is genetic... but recently it got worse as i am now depressed and living alone a broad.

What is the best drug or supplement you have experienced that gave significant effect in restoring dopamine ?

Thanks
meedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 07:40 AM   #2 (permalink)

Sex.
I'm all about natural.
JaneSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 07:46 AM   #3 (permalink)

Location: my feet they finally took root in the earth, but I got me a nice little place in the stars.

L - Dopa (Mucuna). I suggest reading up on this supplement before using. Good luck.
meedo likes this.
Huk phin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 07:54 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huk phin View Post
L - Dopa (Mucuna). I suggest reading up on this supplement before using. Good luck.
I just ordered it online. Read up on it. They say that too much f it isn't good . That it depletes dopamine or something like that .

Do you have experience with it ?

Thanks!!!
Old 12-24-2011, 07:58 AM   #5 (permalink)

Short term fixes can be coffee, if you are able to handle large quantities of caffeine.
philosophy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 08:01 AM   #6 (permalink)

Location: my feet they finally took root in the earth, but I got me a nice little place in the stars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meedo View Post
I just ordered it online. Read up on it. They say that too much f it isn't good . That it depletes dopamine or something like that .

Do you have experience with it ?

Thanks!!!
I dont't but have come very close to buying some. I also feel that I have low dopamine activity and that it plays a big role in my anxiety/depression. The "potential negatives" I have read about have discouraged me from tying it (also I take ADD meds which I worry about messing with). I am still thinking about it. Please let us know how it goes.
Huk phin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 08:53 AM   #7 (permalink)

Testosterone for males.
imrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 11:39 AM   #8 (permalink)

Redwine ,coffee, marijuana all in small amount's can be good too much can be too bad, im on 4 medication right that can be treated by marijuana can treat all those condition,

it boggles me why it illegel it's a vasodilator ,lower blood pressure, muscle relaxer, pain killer preception enchancer, appitite stimulate, sex stimulate my theory is it just make people too healthy and that dangerous cause people get full of them self thinking there a tough guy
this drug can turn people into fiends and demon's and give people a gang mentality

Ritalin will raise dopamine i think it safer then Dexedrine better for long term result but the cardio effect are still there, increase blood pressure

i get extreme hyperactivity the day after drinking too the point where im unable too sleep then i took some ritlin then it made my Dt's go away, i don't feel really that much pleasure or pain but i can still feel

pleasure is what makes you relax with out it will all die!! it releases the feel good hormones like ocytonin and other endorphins
GotAnxiety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 12:16 PM   #9 (permalink)
Kon

Quote:
Hello everybody,

I am more and more bieng convinced that i have dopamine issues. I have low motivation, low concentration , low energy, low attention.. and many other symptoms for Dopamine difficiency.

I believe this is genetic... but recently it got worse as i am now depressed and living alone a broad.

What is the best drug or supplement you have experienced that gave significant effect in restoring dopamine ?
I think this is the wrong approach, primarily because we know so little about the interactions and exact functions of the different neurotransmitters. And I'm not saying they aren't important. It's mostly hand-waving, though. For instance there are people who can't produce any serotonin or dopamine and they don't display symptoms expected if one took some of the neurotransmitter theories seriously:

Quote:
The new paper adds to the mystery, but also provides some important new data. Leu-Semenescu et al report on the case of a 28 year old man, with consanguineous parents, who suffers from a rare genetic disorder, sepiapterin reductase deficiency (SRD). SRD patients lack an enzyme which is involved, indirectly, in the production of the monoamines serotonin and dopamine, and also melatonin and noradrenaline which are produced from these two. SRD causes a severe (but not total) deficiency of these neurotransmitters...Overall, though, the biggest finding here was a non-finding: this patient wasn't depressed, despite having much reduced serotonin levels. This is further evidence that serotonin isn't the "happy chemical" in any simple sense.
Life without serotonin
http://neuroskeptic.blogspot.com/201...serotonin.html
sanspants08 likes this.
Kon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 02:49 PM   #10 (permalink)

A column about dopamine nuerocircuitry related to depression and anhedonia:
http://www.cnsspectrums.com/aspx/art...articleid=1613

Exercise is important. Preferably cardio ( jogging, cycling etc), it releases endorphins from the opiod neurons and improves monoamine production in the cells. Along with a well balanced weight lifting/bearing regime for general health and prevention of osteoporosis. And a healthy diet consisting of red, green, and yellow vegetables, legumes, nuts and seeds.

Medications-

l-methylfolate (deplin)- a trimonoamine modulator of NE, DA, and 5HT http://www.cnsspectrums.com/aspx/art...articleid=1970
http://www.medpagetoday.com/MeetingCoverage/APA/26580

Modafinil-http://scienceblogs.com/corpuscallosum/2009/03/effect_of_modafinil_on_dopamin.php
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19293415

Selegiline-http://selegiline.com/
http://www.selegiline.com/apop.html

Supplements/herbs:

L-Dopa- the dangerous of it's use:http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12835121
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/en...st_uids=177138

mucuna pruines:
http://herbal-powers.com/macunapruriens1.html

Tyrosine=levodopa=DA

Phenalalynine:http://home.caregroup.org/clinical/a...nylalanine.htm

B-6, B-12, NADH: ++++

Rhidola:http://www.clarocet-nri.com/ingredients/rhodiola.php

And finally here's some information on Nootropics:http://augmentinforce.50webs.com/NOO...0DIRECTORY.htm
http://www.neurosoup.com/nootropics.htm

As always use medications and supplements with care. There are many contraindications. Consider finding a good pdoc, when using medications.
metamorphosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 08:54 AM   #11 (permalink)

The cleanest to improve Dopamine levels is by optimizing testosterone activity, while maintaining physiologic levels.

Dopamine itself is extremely difficult to manipulate in isolation from other chemical messengers. The treatments which affect dopamine always invariably have significant side effects (e.g. amphetamines which can increase dopamine through reuptake inhibition, can eventually cause adrenal fatigue from also increasing norepinephrine. The adrenal fatigue may eventually result in lowering dopamine production).
Old 12-26-2011, 02:53 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by imrj View Post
The cleanest to improve Dopamine levels is by optimizing testosterone activity, while maintaining physiologic levels.

Dopamine itself is extremely difficult to manipulate in isolation from other chemical messengers. The treatments which affect dopamine always invariably have significant side effects (e.g. amphetamines which can increase dopamine through reuptake inhibition, can eventually cause adrenal fatigue from also increasing norepinephrine. The adrenal fatigue may eventually result in lowering dopamine production).
Basically you are talking about exercise right?
Old 12-26-2011, 09:46 AM   #13 (permalink)

Here is a thread from 2010 on SAS that covers this issue. It includes alot of studies and links to other sites of discussion. You should be overloaded with information but as outlined above there are some simple ways to increase DA. Stay away from any DA depleting meds/ drugs like amphetamines. Weight gain and foods high in in saturated fat along with a sedentary lifestyle are a negative. Also alchol consumption can deplete testosterone levels .
Prolactin is a nasty hormone that can decrease testosterone levels by affecting DA.
Here are the links that should answer any and all questions. I hope!!! Yo,

http://www.socialanxietysupport.com/...pamine-101732/

http://www.timinvermont.com/fitness/boosttes.htm

This is a link to how the hormone prolactin lowers testosterone levels!!!

http://www.mikemahler.com/online-lib...in-health-part
meedo likes this.
metamorphosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 03:50 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Hello everybody,

Thanks
I've taken every drug under the sun to try to treat my sa and the only thing that has given me sustained permanent benefits is therapy. People don't realize that your thoughts literally physically create your brain chemistry.
determination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 04:03 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by determination View Post
I've taken every drug under the sun to try to treat my sa and the only thing that has given me sustained permanent benefits is therapy. People don't realize that your thoughts literally physically create your brain chemistry.
post sources for this if you know of any, please.
The Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 04:28 PM   #16 (permalink)

I learnt this from Dr Thomas Richard's who has a phd and overcame social anxiety himself. He is the creator of the 'overcoming social anxiety step by step series'. Here

s an articel from his site:

Social Anxiety, Chemical Imbalances in the Brain,
and Brain Neural Pathways and Associations:

What Does It All Mean?
Thomas A. Richards, Ph.D.
Psychologist/Director, SAI

Most people misunderstand the meaning of "chemical imbalances" in the brain. This phrase has become the buzzword to use today to explain mental health problems, including social anxiety.
We receive several letters a day concerning this subject, and the comprehensive audio therapy series "Overcoming Social Anxiety: Step by Step" explains more thoroughly than an article can what is happening in the brain as people with social anxiety learn to progress and conquer social anxiety.
Understanding completely how this works is important to progress and recovery, so this is discussed thoroughly on the audio series relative to recovery from social anxiety disorder.
What follows is a simplified version of these mechanisms, because brain processes and mechanisms are not fully understood and the explanations that we do have would fill several large textbooks.
We can say that no one is "born" with social anxiety. You may remember circumstances and events from very early in life, but there is no "gene" that codes for social anxiety, and there is not an immutable set of genes that cause social anxiety to occur.
At best, we can say that some people have a predisposition toward anxiety in general. From what we know, this is not a predisposition to social anxiety per se, it is a predisposition to be anxious in general.
Why you develop social anxiety has more to do with environment than it has to do with genetics. However, there may be combinations occurring.
People do not generally understand that even if something is genetically influenced, this does not mean it is genetically caused. Social anxiety can not occur unless events, situations, and circumstances in the persons' environment "push" or "lead" the person to develop it.
Because we develop social anxiety over time (although some people feel it hits them all at once), the brain is learning all the time -- this is cognitive structuring -- how to be socially anxious. The brain is learning how and what to be afraid of.
The brain is literally creating new neural pathways and associations that feed and fuel our fears and anxieties in social situations.
This is quite normal because everything we learn becomes part of our neural associations or pathways.
When you learn things about your family, it becomes a part of your brain's neural pathways and associations. Remembering your mother brings back many memories because they are all tied together or bundled together by these neural pathways or associations in the brain.
Anything you learn, regardless of what it is, becomes a part of the vast neuronal associations in the brain, which contain over one billion nerve cells.
When you learn that Alexander the Great tried to conquer the world, as did Napoleon, your brain ties these people together into a neural association in your brain concerning history, historical events, and leaders who lived in the past.
When you learn to tie your shoes, ride a bicycle, drive a car, use a computer keyboard, or learn a musical instrument, your brain gradually develops the neural pathways to make your "practicing" become automatic.
The more you practice, and the more quality time you put into your practice, the more that your brain pathways change. Fairly soon, you know how to tie your shoes and you don't think about it anymore. This practice you did has made tying your shoes become automatic.
Learning a musical instrument works the same way. At first, it is difficult and hard, but the more you practice, the better you get. As you take one step at a time, and practice thirty minutes a day on your instrument, you continue to improve and get better.
What is happening? Your brain is arranging a new neural pathway or association for learning to play that instrument. As your brain develops this new pathway (it grows the more you practice and learn), you get better and better at playing your instrument.
It is exactly the same way with cognitive (learning) therapy for social anxiety.
As you learn, and then practice, the cognitive methods, strategies, and concepts, a new neural pathway begins to form. The more you practice, the more this new neural pathway or association grows.
Progress is slow at first, just like it is when you learn any new skill, but if you continue to practice, you continue to get better. If you practice enough, the habit becomes more and more automatic over time.
What you learn changes the neural associations in your brain. What is in those neural pathways or associations becomes permanent.
Now, how do brain chemicals, neurochemistry, and "imbalances" of brain chemistry fit here?
Your neural pathways and associations influence and decide which neurochemicals, and at what "strength" pass through the synapse (i.e., synaptic gap). Your neurochemistry is determined by your neural pathways and associations, not the other way around.
Medication or pills can change your brain chemistry temporarily. But, medications has no power to change neural pathways or associations. There is no cure for social anxiety in medication. There is a temporary, chemical change in your brain brought about by the medication. But it lasts only as long as the medication is synthesized to last, from four hours to longer periods. But it is never permanent. You always need to take another pill.
The only permanent solution is to change your neural pathways and associations. This can only be done by learning new strategies, rational concepts, and new methods to extinguish social anxiety. Then, these new strategies and methods must be practiced and practiced. This is why we always talk about repetition.
Without repetition, neural pathways and associations cannot change. To have a permanent solution for social anxiety, our neural pathways and associations MUST change.
When our neural pathways and associations change, our brain chemistry also changes. This is a permanent change, because you have practiced the new methods and concepts (i.e., the cognitive therapy) into your brain repetitiously, thus creating new neural associations. The more dense these neural associations are, the more you have recovered from social anxiety.
Everything in life works like this. Whatever you really learn causes new neural pathways in the brain, and, over time, with repetition, you gradually become better and better at something.
Cognitive therapy is nothing more than learning the appropriate strategies, methods, and concepts so that our brains can change. Our new neural pathways continue to grow and our new feelings, beliefs, and thoughts changed automatically, too.
The human brain is not limited in terms of learning. You can learn all you want, and keep learning until the day you die.
Cognitive therapy, if used correctly, creates permanent changes in your brain neurology, and these changes then affect your brain chemistry.
Everyone, barring brain diseases, can learn to overcome social anxiety. The cognitive therapy necessary is nothing more than a learning process... that must be repeated, repeated, and repeated .... so that our neural pathways and associations can gradually change.
This is a simplified version of what occurs in the brain, but it is an accurate portrayal of what happens as we learn to overcome social anxiety.
Old 12-26-2011, 04:29 PM   #17 (permalink)

and the final paragraph
Some people have done a little cognitive therapy -- without the practice and the repetition -- and then said, "cognitive therapy didn't work for me".
That, of course, is not true. They did not know, or were not told, that cognitive therapy for social anxiety works in the same way that learning anything new works (e.g., learning to play a musical instrument).
It does work, but it takes persistence, practice, and repetition. The brain's neural pathways must change so that your beliefs, thoughts, and perceptions become more rational. This can only occur if you change your neural pathways by practicing repetitiously the new methods and concepts learned in cognitive therapy.
Cognitive therapy is nothing more than "learning" the appropriate methods, strategies, and concepts to help your brain develop new neural pathways that are more rational than the old anxiety-ridden pathways.
This is more fully explained in the audio therapy series, "Overcoming Social Anxiety: Step by Step" and the cognitive therapy provided throughout this series directly relates to overcoming social anxiety altogether.
This, as you can see, takes practice, persistence, and repetition. But, it works. It has to work because, as you continue, your mind really does change. You are developing new neural pathways and associations as you learn (and continue to learn and reinforce) appropriate cognitive strategies.
People can and do overcome social anxiety.
The solution is in the practice, repetition, and constant reinforcement. Progress can be made relatively quickly, faster than most people expect, but there is no substitute for practice and repetition. This does take time and patience, but every three weeks or so, if you practice each day, you will find you have made some major progress.
Continuing forward until social anxiety disorder is a thing of the past is the right choice to make.
Old 12-27-2011, 05:09 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by determination View Post
People don't realize that your thoughts literally physically create your brain chemistry.
and it goes the other way around too bud.....many people dont realize that chemical state of the brain affects your mood or thoughts....

just saying...for some of us therapy is wishful thinking
michael10364 likes this.
Old 12-27-2011, 06:12 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by imrj View Post
and it goes the other way around too bud.....many people dont realize that chemical state of the brain affects your mood or thoughts....

just saying...for some of us therapy is wishful thinking
Cant really stand these forums anymore everyones so negative
Old 12-27-2011, 08:03 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by metamorphosis View Post
Here is a thread from 2010 on SAS that covers this issue. It includes alot of studies and links to other sites of discussion. You should be overloaded with information but as outlined above there are some simple ways to increase DA. Stay away from any DA depleting meds/ drugs like amphetamines. Weight gain and foods high in in saturated fat along with a sedentary lifestyle are a negative. Also alchol consumption can deplete testosterone levels .
Prolactin is a nasty hormone that can decrease testosterone levels by affecting DA.
Here are the links that should answer any and all questions. I hope!!! Yo,

http://www.socialanxietysupport.com/...pamine-101732/

This is a link to how the hormone prolactin lowers testosterone levels!!!

http://www.mikemahler.com/online-lib...in-health-part

Ohh Boy nice stuff!!!