X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Medication

Old 01-12-2013, 02:28 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Weaning off Klonopin question

I have been taking Klonopin for less than a month. I think I want to get off it. I will only do it under a doctor's advice. But my question to you guys is, since I've only been taking it for less than a month, will the weaning off process be easier?
donttalkmuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:11 PM   #2 (permalink)

Getting off won't be hard at all with less than a month. Just monitor yourself closely...and with all of your behaviors, consider the Klonopin. And make sure you are being checked on regularly. I've been on Klonopin (Clonozepam) for over a year, though not till recently a daily user, and my 'weaning' plan is surprisingly short/simple.

I went to see a new primary care doctor nearer to me yesterday than me, and like I expected, she was unhappy that I had a benzo and gave me a guideline to wean myself off of it. I don't know what your doses are, but I'll share with you what the guidelines she gave me for withdrawing safely.

I have 1mg pills to take 2 times daily. I've been on them about a year, at first only a few times a week, really as needed. The last month though, I have been taking the 2mg as a day (lots of social requirements).

So...my plan is 2 weeks:

.5 mg (half a pill) twice a day for a week. Then, .25 mg (a quarter of a pill) 2 times a day, all 8 hours apart for a week. And that's it! Pharmacies sell pill cutters apparently.

When I got off an SSRI once on my own (much younger).... I was already taking a lot less than prescribed because I disliked certain side effects. Basically, I took enough, even a nibble or so off a pill, to not feel "trippy". I just realized you said Klonopin, not the generic clonozepam--so I don't know if your pills are full of granules, because that is of course way different.

I was really hoping that my new Dr. would just go with my old script of clonozepam. They make me awesome, minus the need for extra caffeine and some slight memory stuff. And I really don't wanna go back to an SSRI....but I will be trying Celexa (was on Effexor a few years ago--hated how it made me not care about things I'd been passionate about).

But I agree--weaning now is better than later, and with what I am planning to do this year and still taking Klonopin would have me hooked for sure. I know someone who took benzos for 20+ years, and even withdrawing with guidelines, ended up throwing lamps, abandoning her family for a few days, and having her husband call the police.

Still will be taking propranolol for panic attacks.
IfWinterEnds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:21 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by donttalkmuch View Post
I have been taking Klonopin for less than a month. I think I want to get off it. I will only do it under a doctor's advice. But my question to you guys is, since I've only been taking it for less than a month, will the weaning off process be easier?
After taking it for less than a month, just quit it cold turkey. You won't have any withdrawals, you haven't been on it long enough. To "wean off now will only prolong your time on the drug making it more likely that you will become chemically dependent. Go ahead and call your doctor, let him/her know that you are quitting snd just don't take it again. You will be better than fine.
istayhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:27 AM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks so much! I take 0.5 mg in the morning, and 0.5 mg at night.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:07 AM   #5 (permalink)

Thumbs up Klonapin

You are very wise to stop taking this medication (and dont ever take another benzodiazepine ever again!) I really applaud you. Unfortunately, it is possible you could have some withdrawal symptoms. The length of time one is on these meds doesnt always predict how one reacts....However, that said, it is less likely you will have a bad time of it. I strongly urge you to taper this medication. Klonapin is a long-acting benzo. Its the one more people have trouble getting off of. Just to be safe, taper it, with your doctors guidance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by donttalkmuch View Post
wilsongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:53 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks!
Old 01-28-2013, 04:02 PM   #7 (permalink)

Dxm help reverse or reduce tolarance and help with the withdraws.
GotAnxiety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:01 AM   #8 (permalink)

Just as an update, I was able to get off it without much trouble. Some tingling, headache, and dizzy feeling for 3 or 4 days. I have insomnia, but could be due to getting off klonopin, or it could be due to the Wellbutrin.
Old 02-02-2013, 07:07 PM   #9 (permalink)

I don't think you will need to wean off after such a short time. Check with doc though. But yeah, probably you can just stop.
jimmythekid is offline   Reply With Quote