Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Medication

Like Tree1 Liked Posts
  • 1 Post By Dark Shines

Old 06-02-2013, 04:33 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Wash out time for Valium

I have been taking ~30mg a day for close to a month now.
I notice that the floaty feeling i used to get is now gone and im beginning to worry about becoming dependent on it.

How long should i wait before i can start using Valium again? Is 1-2 weeks washout long enough? Or is it longer because of its active metabolites?

Thanks,

ASOP
- Migraine Headaches

Current meds:
Vyvanse
50mg
Lamictal 200mg
Zoloft 75mg
Zyprexa Zydis 5mg
Zopiclone 7.5-15mg prn
Clonazepam 2mg prn (once a week)
Valium 10mg prn (once a week)

Previous useless meds: Dosulepin 50mg, Lithium 900mg Lexapro 20mg, Lyrica 100mg, Moclobemide 450mg, Prozac 60mg, Saphris 10mg Sodium Valproate 1500mg, Sumatriptan 50mg, Temazepam 20mg, Topamax 100-150mg,
A Sense of Purpose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 10:13 AM   #2 (permalink)

You're bordering on already there TBH, you may need to taper down every other day over a week or so, if you want to keep the jitters completely at bay.

You shouldn't really be taking it every day, tolerance and dependency are pretty much inevitable with daily Benzo use.

The reality is, it takes months(usually several) to completely reset Benzo tolerance, but you'll probably get a noticeable increase in potency from 2 weeks onwards. You're likely to find tolerance build much more quickly from this point forward though, so I wouldn't expect to be able have two weeks off and a month on with the same efficacy as the first time 'round, it doesn't work like that in my experience with them.
A Sense of Purpose likes this.
Dark Shines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 06:16 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Shines View Post
You're bordering on already there TBH, you may need to taper down every other day over a week or so, if you want to keep the jitters completely at bay.

You shouldn't really be taking it every day, tolerance and dependency are pretty much inevitable with daily Benzo use.

The reality is, it takes months(usually several) to completely reset Benzo tolerance, but you'll probably get a noticeable increase in potency from 2 weeks onwards. You're likely to find tolerance build much more quickly from this point forward though, so I wouldn't expect to be able have two weeks off and a month on with the same efficacy as the first time 'round, it doesn't work like that in my experience with them.
Yeah i understand. Its just that my doc WANTS me to take 20mg at night and 10mg for any panic attacks.

I feel like im going to become dependent soon and i dont want that to happen
- Migraine Headaches

Current meds:
Vyvanse
50mg
Lamictal 200mg
Zoloft 75mg
Zyprexa Zydis 5mg
Zopiclone 7.5-15mg prn

Previous useless meds: Dosulepin 50mg, Lithium 900mg Lexapro 20mg, Lyrica 100mg, Moclobemide 450mg, Prozac 60mg, Saphris 10mg Sodium Valproate 1500mg, Sumatriptan 50mg, Temazepam 20mg, Topamax 100-150mg,
Old 06-02-2013, 11:11 PM   #4 (permalink)

Is the nighttime dose primarily for sleep purposes? Apparently Z-drugs cause less tolerance @ benzodiazepine receptors if you need to go that route.

jim_morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 11:19 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_morrison View Post
Is the nighttime dose primarily for sleep purposes? Apparently Z-drugs cause less tolerance @ benzodiazepine receptors if you need to go that route.
My doc has given me 20mg of Valium as prophylaxis for panic attacks and overall calming effect. He also scripts me Zopiclone/Zolpidem to take additionally on top of the valium if i still cant sleep.

Interesting though. Might talk to him about the option of just switching to Imovane.
- Migraine Headaches

Current meds:
Vyvanse
50mg
Lamictal 200mg
Zoloft 75mg
Zyprexa Zydis 5mg
Zopiclone 7.5-15mg prn

Old 06-03-2013, 04:00 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Sense of Purpose View Post
Yeah i understand. Its just that my doc WANTS me to take 20mg at night and 10mg for any panic attacks.

I feel like im going to become dependent soon and i dont want that to happen
Crikey, I want your doctor! It's really difficult to get Diazepam prescribed that enthusiastically here. I find it quite hard to sleep on them myself to be honest, but the best thing would probably be for you to start by only taking them on an as required basis rather than as point of course, despite what your doctor says.

I know that even on my REALLY low dose of 4mg in the event of an anxiety episode and even if I just dose 3 times a week, the tolerance still gradually creeps up over the months. I try to do a two week reset here and there and that restores much of the benefits, but even then, it's never the same as the first few doses were.

So the key definitely seems to me, to be more about how often you take them than the dose in itself.
Dark Shines is offline   Reply With Quote