X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Medication

Old 12-03-2009, 06:23 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Was on zoloft/buspar

I was on zoloft/buspar for a good while, Zoloft for social anxiety and buspar for generalized anxiety disorder. I didn't really think they were helping that much so I stopped taking them several months ago.

I want to be put back on some kind of meds, when I was put on those all I told my docter was I had social anxiety. I didn't tell him how I also have ocd and depression. I dont know if it matters if I tell him that or not cause most meds for social anxiety also help depression/ocd like zoloft.

I think it was because I just didn't want to be diagnosed with a bunch of mental disorders. One reason cause my mom works there, When i go back to be put on meds again do you think i should mention that I also suffter from ocd/depression?
SaGgY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 06:34 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaGgY View Post
I was on zoloft/buspar for a good while, Zoloft for social anxiety and buspar for generalized anxiety disorder. I didn't really think they were helping that much so I stopped taking them several months ago.

I want to be put back on some kind of meds, when I was put on those all I told my docter was I had social anxiety. I didn't tell him how I also have ocd and depression. I dont know if it matters if I tell him that or not cause most meds for social anxiety also help depression/ocd like zoloft.

I think it was because I just didn't want to be diagnosed with a bunch of mental disorders. One reason cause my mom works there, When i go back to be put on meds again do you think i should mention that I also suffter from ocd/depression?
Maybe you should mention that you have the depression. But I wouldn't mention the OCD (of course, its always good to mention everything) but you seem to understand the situation well enough. But if you mention OCD, the doc will most likely try to get you to take a HUGE dose of SSRIs, and they might even start talking about antipsychotics.

But if you talk about depression its easier to get Dopaminergic meds, along with the serotonergic ones. You should consider Wellbutrin, Aderral, Ritalin....in combo with SSRIs. They can make OCD worse, but as you probably have experienced, SSRIs cause apathy and don't really help that much with depression, they just take the edge off. When i combine SSRIs with stimulants, such as Wellbutrin and Adderall/Ritalin, i seem to get alot more help with all my symptoms. I also have depression, OCD, GAD, and Social Anxiety. Stimulants and other meds which raise dopamine can be very help for depression, and SA, when SSRIs and SNRIs don't work. Also consider Effexor...it could help you. Effexor + Adderral was one of the best combos ive ever tried. I should have taken it longer.

The meds for OCD and depression are exactly the ones you were already on, but quit. Higher doses are used for OCD, usually. Although higher doses help with OCD, they rarely help substantially with depression.
Old 12-04-2009, 09:20 AM   #3 (permalink)

I would try an antidiopressant of another type and wouldnt bother with the buspar which many think is useless, valium as needed will help for the SA
arth98 is offline   Reply With Quote