Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

Venlafaxine (SNRI) Side effects :( Any advice?

4K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  GotAnxiety 
#1 ·
Here we go ... i finally decided to try real medication to deal with my SA. I startet around a month ago or something, the doc made some extensive tests on my brain flows and stuff, and decided Trevilor would be the proper drug for me (Trevilor is the name in germany, its Venlafaxine/ Effexor or Efexor in US)

I started with 37.5mg per day in the first week and am now at 150mg/day but we wanna go for 225mg/day next week or so.

Pros:
1)its been a month now or something, i feel a positive change in general anxiety. I dont run around scared anymore, if there is not a specific event to "look forward" to. I still do have anxiety though in those special situations, but i think this drug might actually help me with it, once its fully in my system.

2)i went to a couple of parties last week, and asked my doc if i would be able to drink. he said i could take the chance, since everybody reacts differently, but that i should be very careful. i drank and made out with as many girls last week as i did the whole 3 years before together :D. the effect of beer & the drug.

Cons:
1) i cant masturbate anymore.... especially this last week when i started taking 150mg, its getting so hard to actually get an erection lasting some time and also to get to finish.

2) see point 2 of pros: i went to bed with a girl... we made out and i really wanted to sleep with her... but when i put on the condom and wanted to get it in, it just wasnt hard enough. i couldnt believe it....

3) i am having trouble sleeping through more than 4-5 hours at once.

4) i am sweating a lot

these first two points are just killing me :(

--> Any comments for the first two contra points? Will it go back to normal once my system gets used to the drug? How long will it be like this? i am not sure if i wanna talk to my doc about this. I am so angry... now that its finally so easy for me to talk to girls this happens. what can i do about this?

take care

See less See more
#4 ·
Give it time. There's no guarantee, but there's a pretty good chance that all of these side effects will diminish partially or completely. It might take several months, as it did for me on fluoxetine. I can't see the point in switching to a different SSRI or SNRI because there's a good chance that you would get sexual side effects on those drugs too.

#5 ·
yeah, i am not to keen on switching either... i need the meds to work quite soon, since im gonna have to hold presentations in may and june.

i know its a kinda stupid and weird question, but do u guys think i should "force" myself to watch erotic material as often as i did before i took the meds in hope my sexual desire comes back? Or should i rather just let it be and wait?

#6 ·
yeah, i am not to keen on switching either... i need the meds to work quite soon, since im gonna have to hold presentations in may and june.

i know its a kinda stupid and weird question, but do u guys think i should "force" myself to watch erotic material as often as i did before i took the meds in hope my sexual desire comes back? Or should i rather just let it be and wait?
In my experience, the main thing is time. Hopefully the side effect will die down on its own if you give it long enough. Having furious and floppy bishop-bashing sessions on a regular basis will probably just be tedious.

Reactions: gooxo
#7 ·
effexor a weird one, at first it gave me abnormal ejaculation it was pretty kewl, but eventually it cause low drive for me,but i never really stay on it long enough cause i nearly killed my self with that and the booze incident, it might of worked but i never gave it a chance,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.