X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Medication

Old 06-21-2006, 09:50 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Valium or Klonopin better?

My doc prescribed Valium for me in 2 mg doses. It has been working somewhat in making me more relaxed. Does anyone know if Klonopin is more effective? It seems a lot more people take Klonopin rather than Valium. Any ideas why?
caslon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 11:13 PM   #2 (permalink)

---
peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 03:22 AM   #3 (permalink)

Default Re: Valium or Klonopin better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by caslon
My doc prescribed Valium for me in 2 mg doses. It has been working somewhat in making me more relaxed. Does anyone know if Klonopin is more effective?
In general, all benzos work equally well. Of course, everyone is different, so some will find one to work better than another. My personal opinion is that Valium is clearly superior to Klonopin, but YMMV and you'll never know unless you try them yourself.

BTW, you got a very weak dose. In fact, the weakest there is. Valium comes in 2, 5, and 10 mg tablets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caslon
It seems a lot more people take Klonopin rather than Valium. Any ideas why?
It has everything to do with history & reputation and zip to do with pharmacology. Valium was handed out like candy 30 years ago, becoming the #1 selling prescription drug of the 1970s. Valium got a bad reputation due to this overprescribing and it's never recovered from this undeserved reputation. It's a good drug, but has a reputation that sucks.

Klonopin doesn't have such a bad reputation, largely because it's not a household name. Unless you have anxiety, seizures, or work in the medical field you likely have no clue what Klonopin is. It can't have a bad reputation -- when it has no reputation at all with the general public!

I think Valium is also viewed as very old-fashioned --this was the drug for neurotic housewives in the 1960s. It's the drug grandma took so long ago. (Valium hit the market in 1963, the second benzo there was -- Librium being the first in 1960).
UltraShy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 07:52 AM   #4 (permalink)

Ask for klonopin, that way even if your doc is a benzo phobe the lowest dose they can give you is .5mgs which is stronger than the lowest dose of valium.
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."”
--Isaac Asimov

Quitting while you are ahead isn't the same thing as quitting; lesser known fact
Noca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 10:16 AM   #5 (permalink)

Just posting my agreement with ultrashy.

The difference really is in the half life and the euphoric effects when it comes to benzos. The shorter lasting benzos like xanax tend to be more euphoric and are the ones prefered by people looking to catch a buzz. These are the ones generally prescibed for "as needed". While the less potent but longer lasting benzos such as klonopin tend to be taken daily and dont offer much recreational value.

Valium and lorzepam are kind of middle of the road as far as how long they last and how potent they are.
Lupus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 11:15 AM   #6 (permalink)

I've tried Klonopin, Valium, and Xanax XR. Xanax XR made me extremely agitated, gave me a headache, and made me feel like crap. Klonopin worked okay, and Valium is definitely the most effective and longest lasting for me.
incubusfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 01:56 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupus
While the less potent but longer lasting benzos such as klonopin tend to be taken daily and dont offer much recreational value.
Klonopin is a high-potency benzo in terms of how much effect you get per mg, with most benzo equivalency charts saying the following: 1 mg Klonopin = 2 mg Xanax = 4 mg Ativan = 20 mg Valium. (Not all charts agree and some would say it's 1 to 1 for Klonopin & Xanax -- and I'd agree that Klonopin's potency is overstated by most charts).

Quote:
Valium and lorzepam are kind of middle of the road as far as how long they last and how potent they are.
Valium is considered "low potency". So far today I've taken 6 mg of Xanax. It would take 60 mg of Valium to equal that. Of course, the whole concept of potency has always struck me as silly. Does it matter if it takes 1 mg or 10 mg to get the same job done?
UltraShy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 03:09 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraShy
Klonopin is a high-potency benzo in terms of how much effect you get per mg, with most benzo equivalency charts saying the following: 1 mg Klonopin = 2 mg Xanax = 4 mg Ativan = 20 mg Valium. (Not all charts agree and some would say it's 1 to 1 for Klonopin & Xanax -- and I'd agree that Klonopin's potency is overstated by most charts).

Valium is considered "low potency". So far today I've taken 6 mg of Xanax. It would take 60 mg of Valium to equal that. Of course, the whole concept of potency has always struck me as silly. Does it matter if it takes 1 mg or 10 mg to get the same job done?
I was using uhm potent in more a sense as how you consciously feel the drug. Equal doses of klonopin and xanax are completely different, i barely consciously even notice klonopins effects unless im experiancing a panic attack. But even a .5 dose of xanax is consciously noticable to me, which is also why its the prefered recreational benzo of choice.

I havent tried valium so im just going off what my p-doc said about it and i'd say lorzepam is about dead center in between xanax and klonopin.
Lupus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 10:00 AM   #9 (permalink)

I took Valium for years for Generalized Anxiety and have been on Klonopin for about two years now, low dosage 1 to .5 a day.
BE VERY CAREFUL with the Klonopin the withdrawl symptoms are purely
EVIL compared to Valium. I works wonderful and I had no side effects but
when I started weaning down to .25 a day it was bad. Take it only as
needed and try not to become too dependent on it.

This is my experience and opinion only.

WCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrod View Post
Klonopin has a longer half-life and is less addictive, I believe. I've never taken valium myself (legally, anyway), but I've been taking klonopin for a while now and it works really well.
wcc1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 12:16 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcc1945 View Post
I took Valium for years for Generalized Anxiety and have been on Klonopin for about two years now, low dosage 1 to .5 a day.

WCC
This happens because you took it for a period of 6 months or more, and can happen with any benzo. If you take a low dose of a benzo, for less than 6 months, the chance of addiction is very low unless you're a moderate drinker. If you take a high dose, you'll see withdrawal symptoms after as little as 2 weeks when you wean off.

Klonopin is the more potent benzo compared to Valium and has a longer half life. It'll be the most effective for you.
db0255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 07:27 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraShy View Post
Yeah over the years I've taken both Klonopin and Xanax on and off for anxiety disorders, and I would agree that they appear to be about 1mg to 1mg equipotent. I think the main differences as pointed out, are half life related, with xanax's tendency to kick in quickly and wear off quickly, making it more suited to panic attacks and also alas more prone to recreational use. And klonopins tendency to be smooth and suttle, and longer lasting.
jim_morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 11:07 PM   #12 (permalink)

hey,
i think Klonopin is better than Valium,
better you try klonopin
Old 08-07-2009, 05:35 AM   #13 (permalink)

Default klonopin

I prefer Klonopin due to the longer half life and the fact that it makes me feel so happy when I am on it. I don't know if that is because I can do normal things on it like chat up girls and generally just be the person I had always fantasized about being when I wasn't taken any meds.

Clonazepam and propranolol work really nice together. I have no inhibitions and it is great. Been on them for 5 - 6 years but take them on PRN basis to keep the efficacy. I was going to add adderall to the list. But my pdoc wants to put me on Nardil first alongside the clonazepam.
gillettecavalcad3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 05:49 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraShy View Post
The difference is that Valium (and its metabolites) distribute around and accumulate in the body (specifically fat tissue) to a greater extent, and have an extremely long half-life. Taken acutely, Valium tablets generally are weaker than Xanax (with the highest Valium being 10mg, apparently only equivalent to 0.5mg Xanax), but take 10mg a day over a period of weeks/months and it will really build up in effects.

ADME (Absorption, Distribution, Metabolism, Excretion) are the differences that make equivalency tables an extremely stupid idea when presented to patients not medically educated (at least without explanation). Someone taking a short-acting benzo like Xanax may end up worsening their addiction when attempting withdrawal with Valium as is usually suggested, unless instructed regarding the differences.

In response to the thread, it depends what you're using them for. Valium is probably better for long-term, continuous therapy, but taken occasionally its effects only last a couple of hours, so it may beat Klonopin taken as-needed (Kpin effects fade away slowly over 1-2 days, but are strongest for 6-8 hours). Xanax is the king of prn (as-needed) anti-anxiety meds, lasting only several hours and not accumulating in the way Valium does.

euphoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 10:10 PM   #15 (permalink)

The only way to know how a benzo will affect you is to try it. I've tried xanax, klonopin, ativan and valium. I take about 15mg of valium 4-5 days a week and it is the most effective for me but it lasts even shorter than xanax (about 2 hours.) My experience is xanax and valium are similar in onset and duration (quick acting, last 2-4 hours.) Klonopin and ativan have a slower onset but last longer (6-8 hours). My advice is to try a benzo and move on to another if it doesn't help you. 2mg of valium is a small dose, I don't take less than 5mg but that is also very much individual (many naive doctors will start you on the lowest dose available though.)
DMBfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 10:44 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by euphoria View Post
The difference is that Valium (and its metabolites) distribute around and accumulate in the body (specifically fat tissue) to a greater extent, and have an extremely long half-life. Taken acutely, Valium tablets generally are weaker than Xanax (with the highest Valium being 10mg, apparently only equivalent to 0.5mg Xanax), but take 10mg a day over a period of weeks/months and it will really build up in effects.

ADME (Absorption, Distribution, Metabolism, Excretion) are the differences that make equivalency tables an extremely stupid idea when presented to patients not medically educated (at least without explanation). Someone taking a short-acting benzo like Xanax may end up worsening their addiction when attempting withdrawal with Valium as is usually suggested, unless instructed regarding the differences.

In response to the thread, it depends what you're using them for. Valium is probably better for long-term, continuous therapy, but taken occasionally its effects only last a couple of hours, so it may beat Klonopin taken as-needed (Kpin effects fade away slowly over 1-2 days, but are strongest for 6-8 hours). Xanax is the king of prn (as-needed) anti-anxiety meds, lasting only several hours and not accumulating in the way Valium does.
If this is the case, would the ADME (Absorption, Distribution, Metabolism, Excretion) process, similarly cause Klonopin to build up in effects if you took it for a month or so, compared to taking it PRN?
jim_morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 01:14 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_morrison View Post
If this is the case, would the ADME (Absorption, Distribution, Metabolism, Excretion) process, similarly cause Klonopin to build up in effects if you took it for a month or so, compared to taking it PRN?
I'm guessing it'd be less than Valium, but more than Xanax.

euphoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 01:23 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcc1945 View Post

WCC
Hello,

I am about to go on Klonopin to replace xanax and you said the withdrawl symptoms were pure EVIL for you. Can you explain to me what you experienced as I am possibly about to go on that?

Thank you!
Heatherx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 04:05 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by caslon View Post
My doc prescribed Valium for me in 2 mg doses. It has been working somewhat in making me more relaxed. Does anyone know if Klonopin is more effective? It seems a lot more people take Klonopin rather than Valium. Any ideas why?

Everyone is different however, seems to Klonopin act faster but does not last as long. Valium has a much longer half life. You can check charts to veryify this. All benzos are addictive but general consensus is Klonopin is much more difficult to get off. In fact many doctors give valium to help get off the Klonopin.

Benzos are not really designed for long term use and after time it seems you need larger and larger doses for them to work. You may want to try relaxation techniques also and biofeedback helps a lot of people.

2mg of valium is a very low dose, I know many people who take 10 mg 4 times daily and some even more if they have spasm problems. Both drugs are supposed to help with spasms as well as anxiety.
FeldmanRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 04:10 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noca View Post
Ask for klonopin, that way even if your doc is a benzo phobe the lowest dose they can give you is .5mgs which is stronger than the lowest dose of valium.
This is true, .5mg of Klonopin is the equivalent of 10 mg of valium.
FeldmanRN is offline   Reply With Quote