X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Medication

Old 09-08-2008, 05:56 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default URGENT! WHAT AM I ALLOWED TO EAT WHILE ON NARDIL?

The more I research the more I find out I'm not allowed to have.
I haven't eaten since noon today and it's 10:00 PM. I'm REALLY hungry but I'm too paranoid to eat anything if I'm not sure about it.
Please give me some ideas as to what I AM allowed to eat?!?

Medication
Prozac + Zoloft + Paxil + Ativan + Propanolol + Atenolol + Effexor XR + Buspar
Cymbalta + Seroquel + Nardil + Xanax + Rivotril + Lamictal + Lithium
Everything has failed so far.
Currently on nothing.

I need to rebuild my mind so I'm strong again.
I need to rebuild my life so I'm full within.

Sasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 05:58 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: URGENT! WHAT AM I ALLOWED TO EAT WHILE ON NARDIL?

Didn't the doctor tell you?
zuneq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 06:00 PM   #3 (permalink)

He told me 5 things but said he wasn't sure about the rest. He thought the pharmacy would give me a list of what to avoid but they didn't.

Medication
Currently on nothing.

Old 09-08-2008, 06:40 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
WINE is fine. Some people may get histamine-related headaches from it and think they are having a hypertensive episode when they are not.

BOTTLED BEERS are usually fine (American and Canadian ones are the best studied).

TAP BEER should be avoided.

Most AGED CHEESES are out. Of note, the mozzarella generally used on most pizzas has been found to be okay. So unless it's some weird exotic pizza with sharp cheeses (feta, cheddar, fontina) it should be okay to eat pizza. (In general, cheeses described as "sharp" are the most dangerous ones.) Ricotta cheese, cottage cheese, cream cheese, and "pasteurized process cheese food" (American cheese -- the cheesiest kind) are okay as well. In regard to the intermediately-aged cheeses, I personally had no problem with jack or brie in moderation. I would be careful if you're going to try this, though, and it's not something I'm willing to say is definitely safe.

OTHER DAIRY PRODUCTS, such as milk, yogurt, and sour cream, are generally safe as long as they are fresh.

SOY FOODS are controversial: one sample of soy sauce was reported to have quite a lot of tyramine in it, but there aren't any documented interactions. My experience has been that a little bit of soy sauce is okay. I would avoid other soy products, such as soy milk and tofu. The Taiwanese dish called "stinky tofu" is probably right out. < g >

Similarly, SAUERKRAUT has been found to contain a large amount of tyramine in some analyses, but there aren't any reactions documented that were associated with sauerkraut.

PROTEIN-CONTAINING FOODS that have passed the expiration date or that may have been stored improperly should be avoided. Fresh milk, meat, etc. are okay. One exception that I make, just because there have been so many problems reported with it, is LIVER; it seems possible that the proteins in liver are especially readily broken down to tyramine (perhaps they include more tyrosine than other proteins do, or perhaps the bacteria that turn tyrosine into tyramine are fond of liver).

Certain AGED MEATS, such as salami, bologna, and some sausages, may be problematic. Err on the side of caution. Some telltale words to look for are "aged," "smoked," "air-dried," and "fermented."

PICKLED HERRING itself isn't a problem, just don't eat the brine (yuck!).

To many people's relief, CHOCOLATE is fine. (If my experience with carb cravings on phenelzine is any indication, it's fine in *huge* amounts!)

Some miscellaneous peculiar foods, such as FAVA BEAN PODS and BANANA PEELS, also cause problems. Shouldn't be a major issue for most people. Watch out for Middle Eastern cuisine, which sometimes contains fava beans. MISO SOUP and other Oriental soup stocks have also been reported to cause problems.

I hope that people find this helpful. As I said, I can provide a list of references if anyone is interested.

-elizabeth

You'll be fine Sasha. The dietary warnings are really blown out of the water and exaggerated.

As a general rule with me. I just avoid Nuts, Soy, Processed Meats, Fava Beans, and Cheese (except mozzarella), and Soups all together.

Blue Cheese might be the worst thing though, so avoid that one at all costs.
colonelpoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 07:08 PM   #5 (permalink)

That seems relatively easy.
Thank you very much.

Medication
Currently on nothing.

Old 09-08-2008, 07:19 PM   #6 (permalink)

Why do you avoid nuts, I don't see it on your list?
DMBfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 07:30 PM   #7 (permalink)

I thought I heard once that nuts were bad on Nardil.

Maybe they aren't. I'll have to look into it.
colonelpoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 07:59 PM   #8 (permalink)

Eat some Blue Cheese w/ soy sauce , aged cheeder cheese crackers, and a nice bottle of aged wine.

NO IM KIDDING DON'T DO THAT. THOSE ARE THE WORST THINGS TO EAT!

Actually if she did eat that what would would happen. I know what your not supposed to eat and sorta why, hypertensive crisis but what actually happens if someone goes into a full blown cheese crisis. I read a story on how a girl of some rich parents went to the hospital, while she was on nardil and got a shot of demerol (why do they still have that stuff, crappy pain killer anyways) and she went straight into a hypertensive crisis. All I know is she started to act psycotic, they did not know what was going on because they did not know she was on nardi, and before she died they gave her antipsychotics I believe.
I heard this marked the end to nardil.. the parents were very upset and eager to spread the news, as they should have been. I just wish they did not scare the doctors so much, maybe they could of just educated them on synthetic opiates, some other drugs and thats it, all drugs cant react with others ones..maybe they should of said something about the food, but only the MAJOR ones that have an overload in tyramine. If people did not scare docs so much we would be getting this stuff today, as my doctor said they are the best antidepressants im just SCARED to give them out. No one wants a lawsuit.

Also I heard some people carry some major tranqs on them (antipsychotic) incase a hypertensive crisis happens. They beleive this will reverse it. If so, then why did this poor girl die?

I would think that catapress would work good. I once took like 5 of those one time at coney island, everyone around me was laughing because my face fell down into my cheese fries.

Here is the food not to eat, everyone here says they can eat pretty much anything they want but blue cheese, but I dont know. If i was you I would get one of those braclets, and if those are too dorky here is med card you can print up and put in your purse/wallet. On the website it has a form you fill out that even include your doctors name, someone who you would like to contacted and of course all your medications, like nardil.

Im on suboxon so I carry one because if I was ever hit since the sub saturate the opiate receptors there is no room left for the pain meds to get past, so they would have to use insane amount of opiates to get past the blockade. Plus I have a rare disorder called cylical vommiting syndrome which doctors don't know **** about.

•Any red meat, poultry, or fish that may be spoiled or that has not been stored properly

•Mortadella, pastrami, pepperoni, salami, summer sausage, and any other similar sausages or meats

•All aged cheese -- the only cheeses that are okay are cottage cheese, cream cheese, mozzarella (part-skim), ricotta, and processed cheese (such as American), although these should not be eaten if they have been stored (in the refrigerator) for more than two or three weeks

•Liver

•Yogurt

•Sauerkraut

•All protein supplements, including liquid or powdered protein products

•Fermented soy products, including soy sauce, teriyaki, miso soup, tamari, and any other similar products

•All tap beer

•Broad bean or fava pods

•Banana peel

•Yeast extracts or supplements (regular yeast used in baking is okay)

•Chianti wine and vermouth.

Some foods can be eaten sparingly (no more than two servings total per day) if your healthcare provider approves. These foods include:

•Wine (one serving is 4 ounces), other than chianti wine or vermouth
•Distilled spirits or liqueurs (one serving is 1.5 ounces)
•Bottled or canned beer, including non-alcoholic beer (one serving is 12 ounces)
•Over-ripened avocados.

Large amounts of caffeine or chocolate should be avoided in people taking Nardil. Although caffeine does not contain tyramine, it can cause problems with dangerously high blood pressure. Ask your healthcare provider about limiting your intake of caffeine-containing products, such as soft drinks, coffee, and tea.

•Always make sure your food is very fresh
•Be on the lookout for "hidden" tyramine products, especially in restaurant foods (such as soy sauce in stir-fry) or prepackaged products (such as cheese crackers)
•Never, under any circumstance, eat anything that you suspect may be spoiled.

Although these food recommendations may seem rather restrictive, it is important to follow them in order to avoid dangerous reactions while taking Nardil for depression.

(don't be too worried someone here eat cheese pizza, and wendy cheseburgers, also you can cheat with caffiene and chocolate, no girl can go without that anyways)

I'm just a nardil wannabe i'm not on it yet.. anyone in michigan find a doctor that will prescribe it?

Even the worse off can live SA free if helped by therapy, CBT, or meds.. or in my case all three. I know this cause I was one of the worst, now I am almost SA free. If you need support please message me. There are people who care.

Follow me on Twitter! Go twitter and then djjuz
YAHOO justintimeproduct
MSN tech9ology
killatay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 09:24 PM   #9 (permalink)

Perfect post killatay!
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."”
--Isaac Asimov

Quitting while you are ahead isn't the same thing as quitting; lesser known fact
Noca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 02:15 AM   #10 (permalink)

BTW Sasha is that you in that picture?!

Even the worse off can live SA free if helped by therapy, CBT, or meds.. or in my case all three. I know this cause I was one of the worst, now I am almost SA free. If you need support please message me. There are people who care.

YAHOO justintimeproduct
MSN tech9ology
Old 09-09-2008, 12:09 PM   #11 (permalink)

Stay away from nutrasweet!
thor_no is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 12:44 PM   #12 (permalink)

Thanks Noca OOhh yeah I added you as my friend, but I don't know what it did.

What would happen if Sasha ate nutrasweet? Hopefully not myocarditis after massive phenelzine reaction.

Oh yeah here is that card that I was speaking on that I forgot (ADD) to put
Free Med Wallet Card (everyone should have one, although i lost mine)
http://www.medids.com/free-id.php

Don't buy sushi and take it home to eat the next day. Same with any seafood. You shouldn't do that anyway.

I was watching Dr. Oz and he says that after eating sushi you can develop WORMS as long as 5 feet, he even brought one on oprah, not sushi the WORM. I wonder how long it took to poop that one out!

Boy I love my Sushi though I am in love with this girl that works at her parents Sushi shop called WASABI by my house. When I was on ritalin I used to come in and talk her head off, her parents did not know what we were saying because they did not speak english...every few minutes they would say something to her..
probably something along the lines: ???????????

.. or Dumb American

YAHOO justintimeproduct
MSN tech9ology
Old 09-09-2008, 02:45 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by killatay
BTW Sasha is that you in that picture?!
Thanks for your list and yes it is.

Medication
Currently on nothing.

Old 09-09-2008, 02:50 PM   #14 (permalink)

Is that an MAOI?
"A simple man believes everything he hears; a clever man understands the need for proof." Proverbs 14:15-The New English Bible
'O the depth of God's richness and wisdom and knowledge! How unsearchable his judgements are and past tracing out his ways are!'-Romans 11:33
Anxiety75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 02:59 PM   #15 (permalink)

Yes it is.

Medication
Currently on nothing.

Old 09-09-2008, 04:59 PM   #16 (permalink)

I really hope I'm allowed to eat cheese whiz.

Medication
Currently on nothing.

Old 09-10-2008, 05:17 AM   #17 (permalink)

is that that hillbiilly stuff that comes in a can and when you press it something amazing happens.

Never ending amount of cheese come outs out.

It's fake I am sure of it. If it were real that would be the worst nightmare to us nardil freaks because sometime we find it hard resisting putting down the bottle and taking our hand off the trigger.

But, i'm sure it's atleast 80% fake.

Thats why I don't eat it. We don't get brand names around here so I wouldn't dare to ask for no name cheese in a can. I would get fake cheese can thats already fake to begin with, and it probably would squirt crooked in my face.

no joke.

i'm sure a lot of you probably shop at alidis but my grandparent take it a step further and buy the stuff not even people who like alidis would buy at alidis.

YAHOO justintimeproduct
MSN tech9ology
Old 09-10-2008, 11:27 AM   #18 (permalink)

It's not cheese in a can at all, haha. It's in a jar.

Medication
Currently on nothing.