X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Medication

Old 06-14-2009, 01:41 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default uh ohh...trazodone isn't working for sleep aid anymore

i've been taking 150mg of trazodone to combat insomnia from nardil. worked fine, but for the past 2 days, it got me sleepy and tired same as before, but i would just lay there now, maybe getting an hour of sleep then waking up during the night. the feeling i get is the same, but i just can't get a full uninterrupted sleep. only thing that changed recently is that i started on testosterone and anastrozole (anti-aromatase) for testosterone hormone therapy on june the 9th. and then starting on june 12 and 13th was when im having problems with sleep.

i just bought 1mg tablet of melatonin. i plan on splitting in half and taking .5mg and see if that works. i read that taking .3mg to .5mg works better than taking 1mg or 3mg. if taking .5mg melatonin doesn't work, im gonna try taking another .5mg melatonin and 150mg of trazodone. the cashier at rite aid said seroquel helped her fall asleep when she tried several other sleep aids. i'm open to suggestions. funny thing is im not tired or sleepy during the day. so im guess im sleeping for short periods of time then waking up, ad infinitum.
Old 06-14-2009, 02:12 PM   #2 (permalink)

I usually take 3-6 mg melatonin in addition to lunesta or ambien for sleep. Why not switch to a Z drug for insomnia?
Jrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 02:16 PM   #3 (permalink)

whats a Z drug?
Old 06-14-2009, 02:24 PM   #4 (permalink)

Ambien Lunesta are considered Z drugs
Old 06-14-2009, 02:44 PM   #5 (permalink)

i guess i could try it as a last ditch effort, but im sure its under patent so it'll be sorta of expensive. ill consider it if melatonin and trazodone doesn't cut it. trazodone never failed me though,,, arrgggg... its soo cheap too.
Old 06-14-2009, 02:46 PM   #6 (permalink)

Ambien is generic Zolpidem now. Some folks (like me) call it a wonder drug. Others didn't find it very effective.
Old 06-14-2009, 02:47 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjyiss View Post
trazodone never failed me though,,, arrgggg... its soo cheap too.

How long have you been taking it? You could have built up tolerence. In which case you would need to up your dose or switch meds. As I did from Ambien to Lunesta, my doc wouldn't up my ambien dose.....
Old 06-14-2009, 04:27 PM   #8 (permalink)

ever since i've been on nardil, so mid 2006. but i never took it ever night. only when i got effect of insomnia from nardil. insomnia comes and goes. but recently its been going on for awhile now. since mid 2006, i finished a bottle and am on my 1st refill of it, so not much at all really.

its good ambien is generic. my pdoc said trazodone is good because you could take it whenever you need it, you do build a a slight torerlance to it, but its not habit forming. hope the same is for generic ambien as well.
Old 06-14-2009, 04:34 PM   #9 (permalink)

It took me about 4 years to build a tolerence to 10 mg tabs of ambien. I don't think thats too bad. Now they have ZERO effect.
Old 06-14-2009, 05:37 PM   #10 (permalink)

Simple solution:

Cook an Indica strain of cannabis into some butter and eat it one hour before you go to bed. Effective for 8 hours of sleep, and you don't need a prescription to obtain it.
IllusionalFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 05:55 PM   #11 (permalink)

4 years to build up a tolerance. wow. i did a quick look at Zolpidem and it says it causes physical addiction. oh well, at least it cheap as heck and i don't have an addictive personality.
Old 06-14-2009, 07:08 PM   #12 (permalink)

Anything that works in theory causes addiction. However, I don't know what they mean by physical addiction. I don't crave ambiens (zolpidem).
Old 06-14-2009, 07:20 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrock View Post
Anything that works in theory causes addiction. However, I don't know what they mean by physical addiction. I don't crave ambiens (zolpidem).
Physical addiction = physical dependence.
Old 06-14-2009, 07:32 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllusionalFate View Post
Physical addiction = physical dependence.
not quite. physical addiction is you physically crave for something. physical dependence is diabetics that take their insulin shots daily. they don't physically crave it, they just need it.
Old 06-14-2009, 08:23 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjyiss View Post
not quite. physical addiction is you physically crave for something. physical dependence is diabetics that take their insulin shots daily. they don't physically crave it, they just need it.
Diabetics taking an insulin shot is dependence, not the pharmaceutical term "physical dependence".

From Wikipedia:
Quote:
Physical dependence refers to a state resulting from chronic use of a drug that has produced tolerance and where negative physical symptoms of withdrawal result from abrupt discontinuation or dosage reduction.
Pharmacologists use the term "addiction" to refer to physiological dependence:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Pharmacologists continue to speak of addiction from a physiologic standpoint (some call this a physical dependence).
Old 06-14-2009, 10:30 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Pharmacologists continue to speak of addiction from a physiologic standpoint (some call this a physical dependence).
Addiction is not physical dependence - it's a psychological condition.
Disclaimer: The user "Medline" is not a medical professional and does not provide medical advice. All information provided by "Medline" is based on his own research and/or personal experiences and should not be considered professional medical advice. All information provided by "Medline" is intended to be for informational purposes only. "Medline" assumes no liability and/or responsibility for the actions of individuals using any information provided.
Medline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 12:22 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medline View Post
Addiction is not physical dependence - it's a psychological condition.
We're discussing physical dependence (aka physiological addiction), not a psychological craving.
Old 06-15-2009, 12:31 AM   #18 (permalink)

Whatever... jjyiss is wrong. At least that I understood by speedreading the posts.
Disclaimer: The user "Medline" is not a medical professional and does not provide medical advice. All information provided by "Medline" is based on his own research and/or personal experiences and should not be considered professional medical advice. All information provided by "Medline" is intended to be for informational purposes only. "Medline" assumes no liability and/or responsibility for the actions of individuals using any information provided.
Old 06-15-2009, 01:04 AM   #19 (permalink)

hahahah....im fine w/being wrong .

anyways, i tried .5mg of melatonin, then another .5mg after 1.5 hours. didn't work. im still awake. while i was "on" melatonin, it caused a more natural drowsyness and sleepyness, unlike trazodone. i feel rested though for some odd reason at 1AM. ill take teh advice of trying the 'eating the cannibus" route but you gotta grow those suckers. good for the long term. for next time i can also try melatonin and trazodone at teh same time. and tomorrow im gonna call my pdoc and have him prescribe me some generic ambien.
Old 06-15-2009, 01:07 AM   #20 (permalink)

Good attitude.