the closest medication to make you not care about anything? - Social Anxiety Forum
X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Medication

Old 07-04-2010, 08:11 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default the closest medication to make you not care about anything?

I'm sick of feeling, I'm sick of worrying, and I'm sick of pondering. Right about now I just want a medication to feel numb. Yes, I know a lot of people hate that feeling, but I want that feeling. I just want to go through life, do what I have to do, live through what I have to, and move on without a second thought. My emotions and thoughts just screw things up for me.

I go to the doc this Friday. What would be a good med to suggest? Mabye Seroquel? I heard that zombifies you pretty good. Of course I wouldn't tell the doc I want to be zombified, but I'll think of something.
behindblueeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 08:46 AM   #2 (permalink)

I think SSRI anti-depressants tend to make people pretty emotionally numb without making you a complete zombie.
SpunUndone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 09:11 AM   #3 (permalink)

that's the definition of SSRIs.
Ehsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 09:27 AM   #4 (permalink)

Have you tried MAOI's? Maybe finding a effective med is better then taking crap to fog up your brain.

"A lie told often enough becomes the truth."
-Lenin

Loving my girl.

Anyone is free to PM me questions or ask my MSN adress.
crayzyMed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 10:55 AM   #5 (permalink)

Seroquel may work yes.
SSRIs don't make everyone numb, so don't expect anything too amazing.
Adderall makes some people zombie-ish but it probably isn't worth trying unless you've had great results with it before.
Weed chills me out and allows me to live "in the minute" instead of worrying to much about other stuff. But it may not be what your looking for.

Also you probably won't be content to be numb. After a while it'll get annoying and you'll want to improve beyond it. Maybe therapy or something would help you? I'm sure you've already considered it, but just throwing it out there for the sake of discussion.
winston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 09:25 PM   #6 (permalink)

Actually I found that my Xanax sorta has this effect. I took it at work and it helped my anxiety, although it made me sleepy. And it's very addictive, hence why this med isn't the answer I'm looking for.

Adderall is one I'm interested in, though I'm guessing my chances of being prescribed that are about zero. I've never tried at MAOI but I dunno if a family doc would prescribe that. Weed makes my anxiety worse. Therapy is too expensive.
Old 07-05-2010, 09:31 PM   #7 (permalink)

Opiates.

Obtaining a prescription might take some effort.
VagueResemblance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 09:33 PM   #8 (permalink)

Haldol or Thorazine
Noca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 09:51 PM   #9 (permalink)

Abilify did that to me.
Jimminy_Billy_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 10:11 PM   #10 (permalink)

benzos and you dont even have to keep taking them. they are the drug that keeps on giving. benzo withdrawal has me the numbest i have ever been in my life, it is so bad now i am having a hard time not killing myself. but it's incredibly affective at getting rid of all emotions. my dog got cancer and is going to die and i couldn't care less.
Recipe For Disaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 10:37 AM   #11 (permalink)

Haldol? Yeah that would work if I want to be knocked the heck out for awhile... lol which sometimes I do but anyway... opiates, I love that feeling but I think I'd have less of a chance of being prescribed them than Adderall... unless i break a bone or something but I'm not THAT desperate haha.
Old 07-06-2010, 12:44 PM   #12 (permalink)

Don't search for the perfect zombie drug but for meds that could really help you...
Disclaimer: The user "Medline" is not a medical professional and does not provide medical advice. All information provided by "Medline" is based on his own research and/or personal experiences and should not be considered professional medical advice. All information provided by "Medline" is intended to be for informational purposes only. "Medline" assumes no liability and/or responsibility for the actions of individuals using any information provided.
Medline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 02:15 PM   #13 (permalink)

Ketamine.

euphoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 09:59 PM   #14 (permalink)

the Xanax helps a lot with the anxiety I have at work and to not care so much... ughhh why is it so addictive? I was not so afraid to talk to people, not as jumpy and nervous... the only downside was that it does make you sleepy. Well... and that it's addictive. But it works.
Old 07-06-2010, 10:13 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by behindblueeyes View Post
the Xanax helps a lot with the anxiety I have at work and to not care so much... ughhh why is it so addictive? I was not so afraid to talk to people, not as jumpy and nervous... the only downside was that it does make you sleepy. Well... and that it's addictive. But it works.
I've never felt addicted to any medication so I don't really understand, but what's wrong with being addicted to it if you feel it's necessary for you? Is it solely because of tolerance or is there more to it?
Under17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 10:31 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Under17 View Post
I've never felt addicted to any medication so I don't really understand, but what's wrong with being addicted to it if you feel it's necessary for you? Is it solely because of tolerance or is there more to it?
there's the whole brain damage thing. and tolerance causes a whole host of other issues over the long term. changes to your brain basically. once your brain develops complete tolerance to the benzo, it can no longer function without it. this means your brain's functioning will depend completely on the amount of xanax in your bloodstream (and your brain can't adapt to fluctuating levels on the fly). so as the amount of xanax in your bloodstream begins to fall, you will start experiencing withdrawal symptoms (a couple of hours after dose). there is no fix for this, except to keep increasing the dose which eventually just makes you sicker and sicker. then there's the whole trying to get off it problem, which can literally incapacitate you for a few years with hellish withdrawal symptoms.
Recipe For Disaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 10:41 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recipe For Disaster View Post
there's the whole brain damage thing. and tolerance causes a whole host of other issues over the long term. changes to your brain basically. once your brain develops complete tolerance to the benzo, it can no longer function without it. this means your brain's functioning will depend completely on the amount of xanax in your bloodstream (and your brain can't adapt to fluctuating levels on the fly). so as the amount of xanax in your bloodstream begins to fall, you will start experiencing withdrawal symptoms (a couple of hours after dose). there is no fix for this, except to keep increasing the dose which eventually just makes you sicker and sicker. then there's the whole trying to get off it problem, which can literally incapacitate you for a few years with hellish withdrawal symptoms.
Wow. How long does it take before the dependency starts to begin? I think my dad might have stopped taking his benzos because he was running out and now he's really sick so it's probably from that.
Under17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 12:36 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medline View Post
Don't search for the perfect zombie drug but for meds that could really help you...
+1
jim_morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 01:51 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Under17 View Post
Wow. How long does it take before the dependency starts to begin? I think my dad might have stopped taking his benzos because he was running out and now he's really sick so it's probably from that.
It can be noticed after as few as 2-4 weeks of benzo use. If you use high doses and/or take benzos for a long time, dependence/withdrawal is a lot worse.

euphoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 02:53 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medline View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_morrison View Post
+1
+1
SpunUndone is offline   Reply With Quote