Switching MAOIs - Nardil to Moclobemide - Do i have to washout? - Social Anxiety Forum
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
Nothing to say
 
doriangray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Australia
Gender: Male
Age: 30
Posts: 11
My Mood: Dead
Exclamation Switching MAOIs - Nardil to Moclobemide - Do i have to washout?

Dear SAS friends,
Sorry ive been away for a while, due to catatonic levels of depression.

So ive been on Nardil for about 3 weeks, and now have Moclobemide.
Both MAOIs, however Nardil = irreversible, unselective and Moclobemide = reversible, selective (RIMA).

Ive searched everywhere but theres NOTHING on the subject of switching from Nardil to Moclob. Not even on wikipedia or the Moclobemide MIMS pamphlet does it mention other MAOIs and Moclobemide even being contraindicated or interacting.

I dread thinking about the usual 2 week washout period, i doubt I will have to wait that long.

Do i have to wait at all? How long until i can start taking moclobemide? I took my last Nardil doses yesterday.

Thanks everyone so much,
Ill get back to you all from my last few threads asap, ive just been suicidally catatonic and unable to even use a computer since i last posted.
Dorian

It is no measure of health, to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society
doriangray is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 10:59 PM
SAS Member
 
SFC01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: all alone yo, no one around and all i can hear is this ****ed up sound.
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,680
My Mood: Psychedelic
i did switch from nardil to parnate and back again, twice, with no washout period but sorry hve no idea about a switch to moclobemide. I wouldn't have thought its that common to switch from maoi to a rima.

3 weeks isn't very long for nardil - is it just too much for you to continue ?


I never worked a day in my life, I just lay back and let the big beat lead me


SFC01 is online now  
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 03:54 AM
SAS Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: England
Gender: Male
Posts: 535
Why would you even want to make this switch?

Moclobemide doesn't have a great reputation for depression let alone severe depression where as Nardil is supposed to be one of the most potent second choice medications after SSRIs fail.
UKguy is offline  
 
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 04:57 AM Thread Starter
Nothing to say
 
doriangray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Australia
Gender: Male
Age: 30
Posts: 11
My Mood: Dead
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFC01 View Post
i did switch from nardil to parnate and back again, twice, with no washout period but sorry hve no idea about a switch to moclobemide. I wouldn't have thought its that common to switch from maoi to a rima.

3 weeks isn't very long for nardil - is it just too much for you to continue ?
Hi thank u for ur reply,
Ive been on Nardil before in the past and it didnt really work... Either made me highly manic, extremely angry or just numb..
Its because i have borderline PD There is no cure.
Mood stabilisers didnt really help either when i was on Parnate.

So u had no probs switching between nardil and parnate at all? Im just worried about serotonin issues. I dont know what to do.. I dont know moclobemide well enough to know for sure.

It is no measure of health, to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society
doriangray is offline  
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 04:59 AM Thread Starter
Nothing to say
 
doriangray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Australia
Gender: Male
Age: 30
Posts: 11
My Mood: Dead
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKguy View Post
Why would you even want to make this switch?

Moclobemide doesn't have a great reputation for depression let alone severe depression where as Nardil is supposed to be one of the most potent second choice medications after SSRIs fail.
Because ive been on both Nardil and Parnate - because everyone said it would work. But neither of them worked.
So why not try moclob, everyone says it doesnt work. So it will probably work.
(I have borderline PD which makes me a lost cause with no cure when it comes to meds...)

It is no measure of health, to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society
doriangray is offline  
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 05:03 AM Thread Starter
Nothing to say
 
doriangray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Australia
Gender: Male
Age: 30
Posts: 11
My Mood: Dead
Caedmon? Watertouch? ChopSuey? Etc etc etc Anyone know anything?? I need to start moclob asap. The depression has gone suicidal...
Nardil and parnate didnt work for me, mood stabilisers didnt help much either.
I have an incurable disease called borderline personality... So im sort of got no options left.
Except that *one* but im trying very hard to back away from that edge. Theres only so much more of this life i can take.
Thank u all

It is no measure of health, to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society
doriangray is offline  
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 05:04 AM
SAS Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: England
Gender: Male
Posts: 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by doriangray View Post
Because ive been on both Nardil and Parnate - because everyone said it would work. But neither of them worked.
So why not try moclob, everyone says it doesnt work. So it will probably work.
(I have borderline PD which makes me a lost cause with no cure when it comes to meds...)
Well the positive with Moclobemide is the pretty non existent side effects (in my experience anyway)... hopefully that will be the same for you.
UKguy is offline  
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 06:18 AM Thread Starter
Nothing to say
 
doriangray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Australia
Gender: Male
Age: 30
Posts: 11
My Mood: Dead
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKguy View Post
Well the positive with Moclobemide is the pretty non existent side effects (in my experience anyway)... hopefully that will be the same for you.

Thank you mate... I didnt get any sides or care about side effects from Nardil and Parnate. But id put up with any side effects just to get better.
Moclobemide cant be *that* useless, can it? This makes me feel so hopeless.
I thought maybe this time i had a chance

It is no measure of health, to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society
doriangray is offline  
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 06:29 AM
SAS Member
 
SFC01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: all alone yo, no one around and all i can hear is this ****ed up sound.
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,680
My Mood: Psychedelic
Quote:
Originally Posted by doriangray View Post
Hi thank u for ur reply,
Ive been on Nardil before in the past and it didnt really work... Either made me highly manic, extremely angry or just numb..
Its because i have borderline PD There is no cure.
Mood stabilisers didnt really help either when i was on Parnate.

So u had no probs switching between nardil and parnate at all? Im just worried about serotonin issues. I dont know what to do.. I dont know moclobemide well enough to know for sure.
No i had no problems at all switching between nardil and parnate but know next to nothing about moclobemide, although I cant see it needing 2 weeks wash out - i dont know.

Anyway, hope the switch helps out with your condition.


I never worked a day in my life, I just lay back and let the big beat lead me


SFC01 is online now  
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 05:38 PM
Surrounded by Sadness
 
UltraShy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Milwaukee, WI (BDSM sadist, Libertarian)
Gender: Male
Age: 44
Posts: 38,369
Why would you only give Nardil 3 weeks to work? It's a fine med, which I take, but it's not magic that's going to work in a mere 3 weeks.

As for a washout, I have found that no washout is really needed between Parnate & Nardil, even though they officially say 2 weeks.

One pdoc points out that leaving a severely depressed patient unmedicated for 2 weeks simply is not an option.

DEA agents, being on par with Nazi war criminals, should be executed for crimes against humanity. They are guilty of inflicting mass suffering upon legitimate patients.
UltraShy is offline  
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-25-2017, 06:00 AM
SAS Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by doriangray View Post
Because ive been on both Nardil and Parnate - because everyone said it would work. But neither of them worked.
So why not try moclob, everyone says it doesnt work. So it will probably work.
(I have borderline PD which makes me a lost cause with no cure when it comes to meds...)

I don't see the the logic here... Moclobemid is a mao-a inhibitor, which does pharmacologically LESS than Parnate and Nardil. There is no way you will benefit from Moclobemid if you didn't from the full-spectrum maois... Yes, you will get less side effects, BUT at the same time even less of an AD effect. You need to look for something else.
Apexio is online now  
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-25-2017, 06:40 PM
Down the rabbit hole
 
watertouch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Never Never Land
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,199
My Mood: Sad
Dr Ken Gillman have written a whole chapter on swapping MAOI.s

http://psychotropical.com/maois-swapping-combining

Hello Darkness my old friend... I've come to talk with you again.

Take cover child! Now switch to Kryptonite!

What's Dr. Stahl say?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tUE...ature=youtu.be

AvPD,Dysthymia,Depression, SP, sleepingdisorder, Agoraphobia, GAD. ADD
watertouch is offline  
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-25-2017, 07:18 PM
SAS Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 201
With medications no one can say with certainty if something will work, or wont work.
Moclobemide has worked for me, infact i probably prefer it over Parnate mostly due to its flexibility. It's out of your system in 24-48 hours, which allows me to dabble in psychedelics, including MDMA on rare occasion, which i feel further benefits my mental health, which is why i prefer it.

It's never as simple as 'this drug increases this neuro chemical the most, therefor its the best' that's where i disagree with some prominent psychiatrists like Stahl & Gillman.
They never seem to look at BDNF, Neurogenesis, which are probably more likely the reason anti depressants work.

Such as Agmatine, Ketamine, NSI-189 for example.
Upcoming drugs in development are moving beyond the monoamine hypothesis.
jaiho is offline  
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-25-2017, 07:28 PM
Down the rabbit hole
 
watertouch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Never Never Land
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,199
My Mood: Sad
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaiho View Post
With medications no one can say with certainty if something will work, or wont work.
Moclobemide has worked for me, infact i probably prefer it over Parnate mostly due to its flexibility. It's out of your system in 24-48 hours, which allows me to dabble in psychedelics, including MDMA on rare occasion, which i feel further benefits my mental health, which is why i prefer it.

It's never as simple as 'this drug increases this neuro chemical the most, therefor its the best' that's where i disagree with some prominent psychiatrists like Stahl & Gillman.
They never seem to look at BDNF, Neurogenesis, which are probably more likely the reason anti depressants work.

Such as Agmatine, Ketamine, NSI-189 for example.
Upcoming drugs in development are moving beyond the monoamine hypothesis.

Then again i think Dr. Gillman is pretty much on it, since he usually gets to talk with people, that are on or such of MAOIs....

Hello Darkness my old friend... I've come to talk with you again.

Take cover child! Now switch to Kryptonite!

What's Dr. Stahl say?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tUE...ature=youtu.be

AvPD,Dysthymia,Depression, SP, sleepingdisorder, Agoraphobia, GAD. ADD
watertouch is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
All Information you need to know about Nardil(phenelzine) KurdishFella Medication 4 09-03-2016 09:12 AM
High levels of moclobemide = Nardil? rm123 Medication 9 03-25-2016 06:26 PM
Nardil; comprehensive anecdotal experiences and interesting information. ChopSuey Medication 17 03-22-2016 02:53 PM
Nardil washout then restart YummyYum Medication 0 12-17-2015 11:53 PM
Switching from Nardil to Parnate? Washout required? puppy Medication 10 12-23-2013 02:50 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome