Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

Switching back to Parnate

2K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Mancman 
#1 ·
My pdoc's idea, and it shocked me.

He wants to switch me back to Parnate. He believes Nardil slows metabolism (I agree). Nardil works very well for depression and anxiety. But it also adds weight like nobody's business. I CANNOT lose weight on Nardil and it just adds pounds.

Now, to refresh everyone's memory - I was on Parnate and it was a killer drug - in a good way. Killed depression and social anxiety. But then it pooped out on me like the flip of a switch, and that's when I went to Nardil.

My pdoc and I are both fearful of a washout period where I slip into hell - so we are not going to do one. On the last day of coming off Nardi, I will start Parnate. I'll be up to 30 mg of Parnate in ten days - no period of time will pass where I'm not taking an MAOI.

Fingers crossed Parnate works like it did at the beginning, not when it pooped out.

#3 ·
A mere two weeks approximately, and the weight gain was worse on 60 mg. On 45 I was able to lose a little weight.

I am still very much scared of this transition, of Parnate not working and me slipping into the pits of hell.

Yesterday (by that I mean the 17th) I was down to only one Nardil pill. I woke up and shouted at my parents over something minor. Then I went to my second day of training for my new job!!!! Note that I have to make this transition when I FINALLY got a job. Couldn't be a much worse time to make this transition.

After work a buddy came over, and I yelled at him like I've never yelled before. I felt extremely irritable and somewhat depressed. I slept for two hours. Woke up from the nap and I've felt better since.

I forgot what my pdoc told me regarding tomorrow - I either have a one day grace period or I start off Parnate at 10 a day. Bah, can't I just ****ing jump immediately to 30 mg off Parnate off the bat or is that a death wish after taking 15 mg of Nardil 30 hours prior? I need to find out ASAP if Parnate is going to work or not because if it doesn't I'm gonna want to get back up to 45-60 mg of Nardil and I'm gonna want to get there fast.

Parnate better ****ing work again.

#4 ·
I want to go back to Nardil.

I took 20 mg of Parnate today. About five minutes after this, I felt extremely sedated and collapsed on my bed. I've also had bouts of rage since tapering off Nardil.

Nrdil was working fine other than weight gain. I'd rather just go back to it right now then wait around and see if Parnate works again.

#7 ·
The withdrawal from Nardil was (literally maybe) killing me. Parnate might have worked, but I wasn't sticking around to find out. I've switched back to Nardil and already feel better - though not 100% yet.

Let me warn folks - DO NOT GET OFF NARDIL IF IT IS WORKING FOR YOU. I hate the weight gain. You may hate other side effects. But I'm telling you you will relapse into hell. I did and I'm confident most people would. It is not worth it.

Seriously, I'm convinced the only way I could ever come off Nardil safely is in an inpatient setting. I don't think I could have survived waiting for Parnate to kick in (if it ever even did). DO NOT COME OFF NARDIL

Sorry to hear of your troubles.

I've been on Parnate for almost 2 months now and have tapered up to 70mg per day. I'm curious at what dose you were taking before you stopped it.

Parnate certainly doesn't encourage weight gain for me. I'm never really hungry. I've haven't tried Nardil and probably won't even if the Parnate isn't effective, as I do not want to gain weight.

Is my Parnate effective? It's still too early to tell. I think it might be, but a lot of the time the insomnia from it negates any benefit that may be there (not that I get tired from 4 hours sleep mind you, more just weary and frustrated as I love sleeping). But I could be in a better mood, but I haven't really been able to test the anti anxiety affect (isolated living). But it's currently no miracle cure.

I'm going to stick with it for another few months. I hope you sort out your Nardil/Parnate dilemma.
I actually never exceeded 50 mg of Parnate my first time. 50 mg is a miniscule dose of Parnate. The max dose being 60 is a JOKE. I didn't taper up in part because I was anxious to try Nardil again

I would stick with Parnate a little longer if I were you and up the dose. But don't hesitate to try Nardil if Parnate doesn't start working.

#6 ·
Sorry to hear of your troubles.

I've been on Parnate for almost 2 months now and have tapered up to 70mg per day. I'm curious at what dose you were taking before you stopped it.

Parnate certainly doesn't encourage weight gain for me. I'm never really hungry. I've haven't tried Nardil and probably won't even if the Parnate isn't effective, as I do not want to gain weight.

Is my Parnate effective? It's still too early to tell. I think it might be, but a lot of the time the insomnia from it negates any benefit that may be there (not that I get tired from 4 hours sleep mind you, more just weary and frustrated as I love sleeping). But I could be in a better mood, but I haven't really been able to test the anti anxiety affect (isolated living). But it's currently no miracle cure.

I'm going to stick with it for another few months. I hope you sort out your Nardil/Parnate dilemma.

#9 ·
when you say you feel withdrawal from nardil, can u be more specific ?like more anxiety and depression? how long did it take for u to feel that? also I thought MAOI's stayed in ur system for 2 weeks before it started to lose its effect maybe i read wrong .

#10 ·
30 mg the max?!?! Unreal. Good thing you have a smart pdoc.

Yes, it's supposed to be 14 days. But that doesn't mean you can't have withdrawal effects from tapering down (and quickly).

Depression returned big time. General anxiety. RAGE was notable. I really got angry over nothing. I yelled at my dog in public for not pooping fast enough!

I'm back on my usual Nardil dose and already feeling fine. I seem hypersensitive to it.

#11 ·
Since you are back on Nardil you should cut back on a lot of carbohydrates if you want to keep on top of your weight. Carbs promotes water retention which is the main cause for Nardils weight gain and bloating. Its also why its so easily lost after one quits Nardil as a large portion of the gained weight is just excess water in the body.

#12 ·
My pdoc's idea, and it shocked me.

He wants to switch me back to Parnate. He believes Nardil slows metabolism (I agree). Nardil works very well for depression and anxiety. But it also adds weight like nobody's business. I CANNOT lose weight on Nardil and it just adds pounds.

Now, to refresh everyone's memory - I was on Parnate and it was a killer drug - in a good way. Killed depression and social anxiety. But then it pooped out on me like the flip of a switch, and that's when I went to Nardil.

My pdoc and I are both fearful of a washout period where I slip into hell - so we are not going to do one. On the last day of coming off Nardi, I will start Parnate. I'll be up to 30 mg of Parnate in ten days - no period of time will pass where I'm not taking an MAOI.

Fingers crossed Parnate works like it did at the beginning, not when it pooped out.
Did you experience any sexual side effects from Parnate? How was your sleep on it? Did it cause insomnia?

#13 ·
I've had tough times both times I've come off Nardil...withdrawing from 90 mg in 2 weeks (no doubt way too fast.) I've been off it now for 2 years for various reasons (operation and wanted to try without due to travelling in Asia.) Nightmares were severe both times and for two years my social anxiety has become extreme - hardly leave the house....
Seeing the psych here in the UK on Tuesday and hoping for a sensible option on the dose range....I don't want to put on the weight again and thought I'd try Parnate.
This isn't an easy decision because I'm in a bad way....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.