Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

Stronger benzo than Xanax?

20K views 43 replies 14 participants last post by  49erJT 
#1 ·
I've looked all over and I don't know what to do. My social anxiety is so severe that even Xanax doesn't really help. Perhaps my issues are more deep-seated and need to be worked out through therapy, but even on 4mg of Xanax, I still feel very anxious. Obviously, I FEEL it, but it doesn't take away the anxiety. And since my tolerance is kinda low, I'm slightly impaired, but STILL anxious.

#3 ·
I know of Clonazepam. I'm currently prescribed 60 Xanax (1mg) and 60 Clonazepam (1mg). It doesn't help much either.

Can you tell me anything about Ativan? I've heard it's great for Social Anxiety, but if Xanax or Clonazepam don't help much, do you think a weaker benzodiazepine could make a difference, just by the way it works? Also, I'd like to stay off of SSRIs, but I am open to other alternatives other than Benzodiazepines.

#8 ·
Addy as in Adderall? I have considered that an option, but I'm afraid my psychiatrist will think I'm digging for drugs and blacklist me. She may come in and talk to him about, because from my recrational experiences it DOES greatly increase motivation, but imo, it's just as bad as Xanax, if not worse for the neurotoxicity. I'll ask my Psychiatrist about Mirtazapine net time I see him as well. Thank you.

#11 ·
I understand being the fear of him/her taking the pescription away from you. But you should be honest as much as you can, now, as much as you possibly can, seriously. I am very concerned for you for the amount you are taking. Also did your doc not suggest therapy for you first??

You are going down a road of which recovery is very very difficult.

How often are you taking xanax? An average week whats the dosage for you?

#12 ·
I understand being the fear of him/her taking the pescription away from you. But you should be honest as much as you can, now, as much as you possibly can, seriously. I am very concerned for you for the amount you are taking. Also did your doc not suggest therapy for you first??

You are going down a road of which recovery is very very difficult.

How often are you taking xanax? An average week whats the dosage for you?
First of all, I appreciate your concern. i usually burn though my Xanax within a week or two, out of boredom...or addiction. But only because it doesn't help me socially. I am starting therapy, but I'm not sure how much it will help. I've had my first appointment and it went all right, but I feel as if I'm just wasting my mother's money and I won't make any real progress. Feel me?

#15 ·
^i think thats hat therapy tries to curb, is the nihilistic, depressed mindset..

just gobbling benzos alone for the rest of your life isnt going to work..if i did that i would be a shell of a person a few years down the road as benzos make me very lethargic, apathetic, and eventually depressed...

some people swear by them though..i would love to see an accurate statistic on how many folks that are prescribed benzos can use them only as recommended and NOT every single day!

#16 ·
^i think thats hat therapy tries to curb, is the nihilistic, depressed mindset..

just gobbling benzos alone for the rest of your life isnt going to work..if i did that i would be a shell of a person a few years down the road as benzos make me very lethargic, apathetic, and eventually depressed...

some people swear by them though..i would love to see an accurate statistic on how many folks that are prescribed benzos can use them only as recommended and NOT every single day!
Well, hopefully, it'll work. I just worry that my disdain for this world is external rather than internal. Y'know with all the injustice and unnecessary suffering. Something drugs or therapy can't cure. But like I said, I'm giving it a shot. I'd love to not be constantly depressed and/or bored.

#18 ·
as for Benzo's , Clonazepam woked best for me. and it's less addictive than xanax(alprazolam) because it has a longer half life.

benzo's should be used with caution, from personal experience they don't get u addicted if ur not taking them on daily basis. i take em only when i need em

#24 ·
I have little experience with opiates, but they do help with anxiety and depression a lot. I know that's an unhealthy road, but of course, so are benzos. Problem is, I don't think a psychiatrist can recommend an opiate for depression or anxiety. I mean, I DO have severe social anxiety, general anxiety disorder, and major depressive disorder...but, like...legally, are they even allowed to prescribe opiates for that? Of course, I'm a little street-savvy and COULD get some on my own, but I assume this isn't the forum to talk of such things.

#32 ·
I've never heard of a doctor using opiates to treat an anxiety disorder....I'd be willing to give it a try but I think most doctors would look at you like a drug addict.
Exactly. He knows I have a history with habitual Marijuana consumption, and I'm already prescribed what may be the two most commonly abused Benzos (Xanax and Clonazepam). There's no way in hell he'd give me opiates.

#35 ·
Xanax and Klonopin are the most powerfull benzo's out of the popular bunch nothin else thats more potent really.
In theory. For me xanax(alprazolam) dosen't work at all and clonazepam is very weak. The best benzo for me is lorazepam which works for me much better than "strongest" benzos like alprazolam and clonazepam.

But remember that lorazepam isn't a toy like xanax. It really can be dangerous, especially when mixed with other drugs.

#37 ·
Bacon said:
But speaking medically Ativan is half the potency of Xanax. 1.5 MG of Xanax = 3MG Ativan.
Yes I know. Xanax was my first benzo and I was very dissapointed from its effect on me. Clonazepam works for me but from 1,5mg which is much for the beginner and the effect is comparable to effect of 1mg of lorazepam. 3mg of lorazepam is enough to kill every kind of anxiety in my case :)

#39 ·
Yeah, I was looking at the most potent benzos through Wikipedia, and there are PLENTY that are more potent. They're just used as sedative-hypnotics rather than anxiolytics. So...according to a few charts, Xanax IS the strongest, and Clonazepam IS the 2nd strongest. I should note, I've been seeing this psychiatrist for over a year. Started with 0.5mg Clonazepam, then moved to 5mg Diazepam, then moved to 1mg Xanax, now I'm on 1mg Xanax and 1mg Clonazepam. I don't know where to go from here. Perhaps he can just increase the dose, because I feel like I need it.

#41 ·
You take two benzos?
Not simultaneously. The Clonazepam are for 1-2mg each morning as needed (which takes the edge off a little, but doesn't completely treat) and the Xanax is for special occasions such as late night outings with friends and things like that. He doesn't tell me to take them in conjunction (though, even though combining CNS depressants is dangerous, that probably would be a strong enough effect to kill my anxiety, but I'd be impaired).

#43 ·
I've been diagnosed with severe Social Anxiety Disorder and Major Depressive Disorder. The SSRIs I've taken have been Lexapro, Citalopram, and Abilifiy (that was an antipsychotic for MDD, but I can't recall if it was an SSRI or not). I haven't liked any of them. I have no good experiences with anti-depressants or anti-psychotics.

edit: Oh, and I think I was also diagnosed with General Anxiety Disorder. Social situations is just where it gets REALLY bad.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.