Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

Strategies to overcome tolerance to Nardil?

4K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  Gillman fan 
#1 ·
Would switching to Parnate make a difference? Any idea if cycling between some drugs would prevent tolerance?

Is tolerance really that much of a ***** here?

I wish I could just permanently inhibit the MAO-A-B. I really wish it was "irreversible" literally.

#2 ·
2 and a half years I have been on it and it works just as good as it has ever done. Not sure you get tolerant to drugs like Nardil.

If you ever think of switching to Parnate, before you do, make sure you know what the maximum dose you will be allowed to go to on to. You want to be upwards of 60mg if I have read people's experiences on here correctly, and certainly from my own experience.

#4 ·
Not sure there is such a thing ameris. Its irreversible !! well for two weeks or so.

I guess the relief you get from depression and anxiety after suffering for some time when Nardil first kicks in can feel so good, but after time that will become the norm, so maybe some people mistake this as Nardil not working anymore. Maybe for some people it doesn't keep working, but for me its been virtually 100% consistent over the 2 and half years.

There have been quite a few threads on here where people have said its not working and have tried to come off, only to realise that it was working after all and they go back on. Just enjoy your time on Nardil and don't bother yourself too much with thoughts about issues like this, and whether side effects will go etc.

Are you feeling it work ?

#5 ·
Not sure there is such a thing ameris. Its irreversible !! well for two weeks or so.

I guess the relief you get from depression and anxiety after suffering for some time when Nardil first kicks in can feel so good, but after time that will become the norm, so maybe some people mistake this as Nardil not working anymore. Maybe for some people it doesn't keep working, but for me its been virtually 100% consistent over the 2 and half years.

There have been quite a few threads on here where people have said its not working and have tried to come off, only to realise that it was working after all and they go back on. Just enjoy your time on Nardil and don't bother yourself too much with thoughts about issues like this, and whether side effects will go etc.

Are you feeling it work ?
100% agreed.

Hypomania can really distort your view on whether its working or not. I had mild hypomania for two weeks when starting Nardil. It was followed by 7 weeks of my usual SA and terrible lethargy which could been seen as Nardil popping out. You should never assume Nardil is working for you on the first month as it takes time for the true effect to start working its magic.

#7 ·
OP check out user barry1685 writings, he have manage to work around it, using everything from blackpeppar n such. (after the initial "hypomania")....

#9 ·
^Ok, yeah i get it, alot of people think it stops working when the initial hypomania subsides...

But who doesn't wanna strut? :grin2:

#10 ·
I took Nardil for over 8 years and it certainly worked for me. Though I think it's effectiveness sometimes went down. I think that to titrate the dose up and down occasionally may help with keeping it's effectiveness on a level.
I also found diazepam when required seemed more effective on Nardil.

#12 ·
Best strategy to fight Nardil tolerance is a dosage reduction (every few months).

For example, if you usually take 75 mg of Nardil drop your dose to 45 mg, then bump it again to 75 after one week and you will notice how Nardil is effective again.

I have heard this from people who were on Nardil over 10 years and it really works (at least for me).

#13 ·
Best strategy to fight Nardil tolerance is a dosage reduction (every few months).

For example, if you usually take 75 mg of Nardil drop your dose to 45 mg, then bump it again to 75 after one week and you will notice how Nardil is effective again.

I have heard this from people who were on Nardil over 10 years and it really works (at least for me).
This an interesting idea. I've never heard of that, but it sounds like it might work. I am starting to finally feel some of the side effects of Nardil after bumping it up to 105 mg. I fell down on the ground for my first time this morning. Didn't sleep at all last night. Blood pressure is so low most people wouldn't believe it if I told them. All of this is great news because I strongly feel that the more side effects you go through over the first month, the more effective Nardil will be. I am trying to replicate my first time on Nardil when my anxiety and depression completely vanished after suffering through unheard of side effects on the first month. I'm moving up to 120 mg today and will stay at this dose until I start to feel the hypomanic effects. Yes, I am chasing hypomania because it is such a wonderful feeling, but after it fades after a couple days, things become more normal and you find yourself still in a state of deep happiness without anxiety or depression. I will lower my dose at that point to 90 mg.

#14 ·
As far as preventing tolerance, I have done some research and adding Memantine once / day or Ketamine once / week (more effective, hard to get Rx) may prove effective. Just look at my forum thread "On Parnate."

I have never read about tolerance to the mechanism of action of MAOIs, nor reuptake inhibitors. Releasers are more subject to tolerance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.