X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Medication

Old 01-22-2011, 01:55 PM   #21 (permalink)

1 pill sure didn't seem like it did much but considering how I felt an hour ago, it did wonders. It just was enough to take away the edge...I certainly don't feel under the influence or anything like that.
jonnynobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 08:18 AM   #22 (permalink)

Got a good nights sleep (a little over 7 hours) and today I feel ok. I have no desire to go through again what I did to my body yesterday so this morning I have decided to do a slower taper. I cut a 5mg pill in half and took that to do this safely and I feel much more confident in this method than cold turkey.

It absolutely pi$$es me off that some people can just STOP taking this stuff and feel no withdrawal and I take the stuff for 2 months and go through a surreal experience where I feel like I can't control my own body. I guess that's just the nature of medication in and of itself...it effects everyone differently. I've heard stories of people who can just stop smoking cigarettes cold turkey after daily smoking for 10 or 20 years whereas others couldn't stop if their life was on the line. This has been a learning experience for me and I now have a greater understanding and respect for prescription medicines, particularly benzo's.

Just when you think you know it all, you get a schooling lesson. How my body reacts today to the reduction will determine how I handle tomorrow. I think i'll be just fine and perhaps tomorrow, I can do w/o any. I'm hoping for a worst case scenario of a 7 day taper to nothing and from what I've read on the "Ashton method", this is the best way to handle it with the least amount of consequences. I feel much more confident in this method and will keep posting in hopes that my experience will help others seeking some answers who may be in a similar situation.
Old 01-23-2011, 10:20 AM   #23 (permalink)

^ Are you working this through with your doctor? You really should do.
rainbowOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 12:20 PM   #24 (permalink)

Not yet. I took another half of the 5 so total of 5mg today. I'll switch to half tomorrow. I think taking that whole day and a half off really took me down a lot. I guess i'm moving in the right direction though so that's a good thing. Tapering is pretty much common sense...I see my GP in 2 weeks so I'll discuss it then but hopefully at that point there won't be much to talk about except that it's over. I may schedule another psych appt. if I feel as though i'm not handling this well but at the moment, tough economic times make co-pays difficult to come up with so I'll go it alone for now. btw, to make things worse, I just got laid off recently so that's why I'm not consulting my psych. Money makes the world work and right now I have little of it so...ya.
Old 01-24-2011, 07:48 AM   #25 (permalink)

Had a decent night's sleep last night which was nice. Still having vivid dreams every night of my tapering down which seems to be typical from what I've read of benzo withdrawal.

Today I woke up and took only 2.5mg and I plan to stick with that today no matter the turbulence I feel. I have a psych appt. tomorrow morning and plan to share my progress with him and make it known my intentions are to get off of this stuff completely. I'm hoping there is something he might be able to prescribe (non-habit forming of course) that may help ween off the valium easier. I would just like to do a rapid withdrawal over the course of a few days but that doesn't seem like a very likely possibility...we shall see tomorrow and hear what the shrink thinks. The only thing I can be thankful for at this point is having recognized that I have a problem now and not a year from now. I've read the "Ashton" method of w/d and some of the taper down schedules for long term users of benzo's is like a year long process...all I have to say is F that. I already have psychological issues, I certainly don't need a 365 day w/d process to F my head up that much more.

Anyhow, I'll post later to note my progress here.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:37 PM   #26 (permalink)

Well, today I thank god for my extremely fast metabolism as my body is adjusting very well to my intake of only 1 5mg pill per day.

This is the 3rd day (I think) that I have tapered down to 1 5mg pill and when I took it this morning, it actually made me feel doped up...that's a very good sign to me which indicates I most likely didn't need the whole 5mg. Last night, I didn't suffer any terrible w/d symptoms which was really nice. Today, it took me about 5 hours after my dose to get "normal" again. I tried to watch a movie earlier when I first woke up and after a scene would happen, I'd be like...what just happened? So...tomorrow I'm very excited to cut my dose in half to 2.5mg and ride that out for 3-4 days. After that (depending on how my body reacts), I plan to cut the 2.5mg in half for 3 days...then nothing. I'm really excited b/c I truly didn't expect this taper to go so well this quickly. Thinking back to this time last week...I was taking a minimum of 10mg/day (sometimes 15) so I really feel like I'm making quick progress

This forum has been a huge help in getting me through and I think I did this in a better manner than my psych would have suggested. 4 week taper...no thanks. With any luck, this time next week...I'll be free and clear! After all is said and done, I'll wait at least a month before I take any PRN at all just to make sure my body is fully 100% back to normal. I will only take PRN 2 times a week at a maximum should I need it...never again will I pursue a daily regimen of benzo's. It might be a last resort for some, but not me.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:11 AM   #27 (permalink)

Good news to report today! I'm officially down to 2.5mg/day which I just took this morning. Last night I slept better as my body seems to be adjusting to a lower intake of valium so I didn't have any vivid nightmares like I did a couple nights back. Yesterday as I mentioned, my 5mg pill actually made me feel kinda doped up and loopy which I felt was an indicator that my body was ready for another reduction and so far so good today. I can feel that it has taken effect and I don't feel loopy or out of it like I did yesterday...I just feel normal. I'm looking forward to the rest of the day to see how my body reacts, but either way, I will not be taking anymore today. I'll let my body adjust for another 2 days on the 2.5mg and then I'll do half of 2.5 for 2 days and then nothing. I will say that remeron is a nice little crutch that takes the edge off at the end of my night and I couldn't have done this without my nightly seroquel (200mg). If anybody else ever has to deal with this tapering issue then I highly suggest talking to your doctor about a short term seroquel prescription to assist in getting you a good nights sleep. It's not habit forming or addictive in any way and you'll sleep like a champ. It is very expensive though so if you don't have insurance...I would suggest checking into trazadone (think that's how it's spelled) as it has similar effects and there is a $5 generic available. With insurance, my seroquel (30x400mg) is almost $80/month so I only purchase a few at a time. Anyhow, I'll post later on my progress and am looking forward to tomorrow in a much more positive way
Old 01-26-2011, 02:42 PM   #28 (permalink)

Default good for you

valium was a hell of a drug for me i remember being addicted to it
metallicafan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 05:40 PM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicafan69 View Post
valium was a hell of a drug for me i remember being addicted to it
It's a hell of a drug for me too

Today I really feel like I've crossed the largest bridge to ending this dependence. Like I mentioned above, I only took 2.5mg today which was this morning and this is the most normal I've felt in a long time it seems like. My appetite is back to normal (eating like crazy) and I'm not constantly sweating feeling like a big tub of walking oil. I'm going to do 2.5mg again tomorrow and then 1.25mg the next day and then nothing. By next monday, I'll be completely off the valium and I won't be looking back. This has been a hell of a ride that I will never put myself through again. I'm looking forward to another positive update to post tomorrow morning as things seem to be really back on the right track again.
Old 01-27-2011, 06:41 AM   #30 (permalink)

Last night I had a little disturbed sleep but I did get 8 hours in so I can't really complain. I felt ok when I woke up as if I might be able to just skip my dose today but I'm going to play it safe and take another 2.5mg and then tomorrow I'll go down to half of a 2.5 and then nothing. I don't feel like I'm experiencing any major w/d symptoms at all other than the disturbed sleep and constipation. I'm really looking forward to tomorrow as that should be my last dose of valium for a very long time. My first day of taking nothing will seem like I just climbed mount everest...this has been one hell of a ride and my exit is coming up soon I sure hope this experience of mine helps at least 1 other person out there who may be in a similar situation. Hope is always alive so long as you have the desire to get better.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:18 AM   #31 (permalink)

As the day progresses, there's some noticeable withdrawal symptoms today but nothing I feel I can't cope with. I've just got some mild symptoms like a bit of light sensitivity and some muscle aches (always in my back). I'm not having symptoms like I had last time I went down to a half. It was a pretty horrible experience trying to get down to half a pill less than a week ago but this I think I can handle. Kinda feels like I've just got a touch of the body flu but it's worth it to move this process forward. I guess you have to get over a hump pretty much every time you make a decrease but I've noticed the "hump" is much easier the less that I take. I may have to stick to 1/2 a pill for another 2 days to allow my body to adjust a bit easier but it's better than a whole pill everyday. I'm just happy to be making progress and still not resorting to drinking when I feel bad.
Old 01-28-2011, 10:03 AM   #32 (permalink)

Good news to report again! Today is my 3rd day on 2.5mg valium in my taper down process and I feel much much better today than I did yesterday. My body is adjusting to the taper well and I got a decent nights sleep last night. I may do 2.5mg again for 1 more day tomorrow and then down to 1/4 pill (1.25mg) on sunday. I'll see where my mind and body is at on monday and I'll determine if I can just cut it off from monday or if I need 1 more day of 1.25mg to ease it down gradually. I'm thinking that I'll probably be able to cut it off completely on monday but gradual is the name of the game so if I feel like i'm punishing myself unnecessarily, i'll take another 1.25 on monday.

It feels so good to be finally moving in the right direction here and making progress that I actually feel proud of. I see my primary in about a week and a half for lab results (multiple blood screens) and I can't wait to walk into her office knowing that I'm valium free and the labs will show it. I'm looking forward to tomorrow
Old 01-29-2011, 09:06 AM   #33 (permalink)

Slept pretty decent last night. Had some vivid nightmares but I got 8 hours of sleep in so can't complain. This morning I waited until 10am to take 1/4 of a 5mg pill (1.25mg) and I could actually feel it kick in about 20 minutes after I took it. I was debating whether or not I should just go cold turkey but I don't think that would be the smartest way to go as I was feeling a bit rough this morning since I usually take my dose around 8-9am. Tomorrow, I'll take another 1/4 pill and then I'll try nothing on monday and see how it goes. Progress seems like it's moving at a snails pace but at least this snail is movin in the right direction. I sure hope all of these posts help somebody out there in some way. This is by no means a fun or desirable experience that I ever wish to repeat. I thought alcohol w/d was a pain...this crap just keeps hanging on.
Old 01-29-2011, 09:30 AM   #34 (permalink)

Two months is not long to take it. One month is the max recommended time but many use it for years. It's no good at all if u r prone to addiction. Have you been taking a lot of it? Because if your only on 5 or 10mg a day it shouldn't be that hard to quit if you wean off.
jimmythekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 05:58 PM   #35 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmythekid View Post
Two months is not long to take it. One month is the max recommended time but many use it for years. It's no good at all if u r prone to addiction. Have you been taking a lot of it? Because if your only on 5 or 10mg a day it shouldn't be that hard to quit if you wean off.

Ya, weaning off is the key phrase. I tried cold turkey and that was a big mistake. I wouldn't say I'm addiction prone but my body responds very rapidly to any medication / drug that I put into it. When I take a valium, I feel it in less than 10 minutes. I get a major buzz off of drinking a regular can of coca cola if that gives you an indication as to my sensitivity to substances (i.e. caffeine & sugar in this case). Dependence developed rapidly and 2 months is PLENTY of time to become dependent. Anyhow, this evening I feel better than I expected. This is the most normal I've felt in months! I think tomorrow I'm just going to skip my dose altogether and see how the day goes. Now that I'm having success at 1.25mg, I'm pretty confident I can go without tomorrow. I'll probably just feel a little sluggish and lazy but it's no problem compared to the w/d symptoms I felt a couple weeks back trying cold turkey. I think in the future I'll just stick to smoking a little medical cannabis I sure as hell never experienced anything like this from going without smoke for a day or two.
Old 01-30-2011, 12:47 AM   #36 (permalink)

Just cut the pills into pieces and slowly taper down. Drop down 1mg or even 0.5mg and stay on the lower dose until you feel comfortable then keep dropping down. Even if you have to just take tiny pieces or shavings off each pill to make it easy it might take time but you are still tapering. Go as slow as you want and drop down in any increments you feel comfortable doing. Coming off too fast will make your anxiety come back again and plus the anxiety from withdrawal will lead you back to the valium. remember my friend little by little and make sure you keep yourself comfortable throughout the entire process..no need to suffer and there's no rush in coming off. Best of luck and congrats on wanting to come off the valium...and remember it never matters how much you drop or how long you take it's the fact that you are coming off!
Canadian4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 07:01 AM   #37 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian4Life View Post
Just cut the pills into pieces and slowly taper down. Drop down 1mg or even 0.5mg and stay on the lower dose until you feel comfortable then keep dropping down. Even if you have to just take tiny pieces or shavings off each pill to make it easy it might take time but you are still tapering. Go as slow as you want and drop down in any increments you feel comfortable doing. Coming off too fast will make your anxiety come back again and plus the anxiety from withdrawal will lead you back to the valium. remember my friend little by little and make sure you keep yourself comfortable throughout the entire process..no need to suffer and there's no rush in coming off. Best of luck and congrats on wanting to come off the valium...and remember it never matters how much you drop or how long you take it's the fact that you are coming off!
Thx for the supportive words of advice
I slept better last night than I have in months it seems like. I went to bed much earlier than I usually do and it was very nice. This morning, I feel pretty decent. I don't feel like I need any valium this morning and that in itself is a good feeling. I'm going to play it by ear today and see how my day progresses...if I need to take 1/8 of a pill I will do that but I'm fairly certain I won't need it today. One really nice thing is that I don't have any intense craving to smoke cigarettes like I have had in the past 5-7 days of w/d. I've been smoking 5-8 cigarettes a day and I haven't smoked in probably 4 years and am typically disgusted by the repulsive smell but for some reason during w/d, I'm absolutely craving them and I seem to calm down a bit when I do smoke one. Anyhow, it will be nice to go a day w/o valium and cigarettes...I'll stick to my coffee and herbal remedies today
Old 01-30-2011, 09:24 AM   #38 (permalink)

Well I had this grand idea of not taking any valium today but as my morning progressed, I could feel some unnecessary discomfort kicking in which makes sense because this is only the 2nd day since my taper down to 1.25mg and each time I've tapered, the 2nd day of my taper was typically the hardest. So I went ahead and split the 1.25 (1/8 of a 5mg pill) in half so that's a little over .5mg and about 20 minutes later, I was ready to go back to bed. It kicked in so strong for being so little an amount, it just blows my mind. It did however take away all of my symptoms and I feel I can get through the day with no trouble at all. I think I'll go ahead and take another half of 1.25 tomorrow and then try nothing. Man this is such a slow process but I'm keeping positive knowing I'm traveling in the right direction. Optimism is my best friend right now.
Old 01-30-2011, 06:28 PM   #39 (permalink)

The afternoon got a little rocky around 3-4 as w/d started to set in. My body definitely is reacting to the reduction down to 1/8 a pill. It wasn't real bad but I started to get a bit uncomfortable and grouchy but I stuck it out and tomorrow marks day #2 of 1/8 pill. It's just this tiny tiny pebble that I really can't even believe effects me but that tells you how powerful this stuff is. I might do this for 2 more days and then bump down to nothing on wednesday. I'm hoping for a smooth transition down to nothing b/c my body and mind is just getting tired from all of this. 1 week feels like a month to me right now. Hopefully 1 week from wednesday, I'll be 100% valium free and out of w/d's.
Old 01-30-2011, 06:56 PM   #40 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnynobody View Post
Hell of a deal....get off alcohol just to pick up a valium addiction.
Sounds like you're prone to addiction, given your prior history with alcoholism. I only say this to help provide some balance for those who might think your case is what always happens. It isn't, though obviously it does happen to some and you have the misfortune of being one it did happen to. I don't want it to sound like I'm in any way dismissing your own story, just wanted to make sure there was balance. Hope you don't mind.
UltraShy is offline   Reply With Quote