Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Medication

Like Tree1 Liked Posts
  • 1 Post By Luna Sea

Old 06-26-2013, 07:20 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default So maybe inpatient treatment is not always a good idea

My friend who I have not heard from in a while and who also experiences anxiety, panic attacks, and depression has come back from 2 weeks and 2 days of inpatient treatment. She says she was pretty rude and non-compliant at first. They immediately put her on depakote, then lithium, then saphris, all of which she had a very bad response to. Then they put her on Latuda which helped her sleep. It was too expensive so they put her on Abilify before they discharged her.

She says they encouraged her paranoia. They assessed her and determined she has psychosis and schizoaffective disorder. I have known this girl for 4-5 years and I have never seen any signs of psychosis or schizoaffective disorder. I know she suffers from anxiety and panic attacks. She told me she has depression. I do not think anxiety, depression, and paranoia constitute psychosis or schizoaffective disorder. She is far too in-touch with reality and clear-headed to be psychotic. I feel bad for her because they did not help her with anxiety or depression. Fortunately, she is going to be seeing a psychologist and a doctor now.

I also have another friend I talked to who's also been through inpatient. She says that they always screw with her meds which throws her into episodes and they've misdiagnosed her. Since then she has properly been diagnosed with schizophrenia and is on the right meds now so she is stable.

My friend (the first one) went to the same inpatient treatment my therapist wants me to go to. Now I am having second thoughts. The good thing is I do not have to stay for two weeks. I can sign up for 3 days, 5 days, etc., but I do not want them screwing with my meds.

So maybe inpatient is not always a good idea.
Clonazepam (not anymore, although have for backup)
bazinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:28 AM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazinga View Post
My friend who I have not heard from in a while and who also experiences anxiety, panic attacks, and depression has come back from 2 weeks and 2 days of inpatient treatment. She says she was pretty rude and non-compliant at first. They immediately put her on depakote, then lithium, then saphris, all of which she had a very bad response to. Then they put her on Latuda which helped her sleep. It was too expensive so they put her on Abilify before they discharged her.

She says they encouraged her paranoia. They assessed her and determined she has psychosis and schizoaffective disorder. I have known this girl for 4-5 years and I have never seen any signs of psychosis or schizoaffective disorder. I know she suffers from anxiety and panic attacks. She told me she has depression. I do not think anxiety, depression, and paranoia constitute psychosis or schizoaffective disorder. She is far too in-touch with reality and clear-headed to be psychotic. I feel bad for her because they did not help her with anxiety or depression. Fortunately, she is going to be seeing a psychologist and a doctor now.

I also have another friend I talked to who's also been through inpatient. She says that they always screw with her meds which throws her into episodes and they've misdiagnosed her. Since then she has properly been diagnosed with schizophrenia and is on the right meds now so she is stable.

My friend (the first one) went to the same inpatient treatment my therapist wants me to go to. Now I am having second thoughts. The good thing is I do not have to stay for two weeks. I can sign up for 3 days, 5 days, etc., but I do not want them screwing with my meds.

So maybe inpatient is not always a good idea.

Having just come out of this position i can say i have mixed feelings about it. However, it was more the other end of the spectrum. I went in on 4 meds and ended up losing my antidepressant for another 1 (which has yet to prove itself and has left me suffering because the first was working) but the other meds kept the same.

The docs in the inpatient were more inclined to think it was medication induced bi-polar, yet here i am still rapid cycling and going through the motions every day (and keeping my blog alive).

All i can say is, if you need a routine and a bit of care, then inpatients is something i'd consider, but dont go in thinking that your meds will be the same. Most likely they will withhold or add on something as a means of treatment.

They didnt re-diagnose me or anything which i felt was strange. More watched over me while i somewhat stabilized, although that comfort is now gone (the stabilization i mean).

Best of luck
- Migraine Headaches

Current meds:
Vyvanse
50mg
Lamictal 200mg
Zoloft 75mg
Zyprexa Zydis 5mg
Zopiclone 7.5-15mg prn
Clonazepam 2mg prn (once a week)
Valium 10mg prn (once a week)

Previous useless meds: Dosulepin 50mg, Lithium 900mg Lexapro 20mg, Lyrica 100mg, Moclobemide 450mg, Prozac 60mg, Saphris 10mg Sodium Valproate 1500mg, Sumatriptan 50mg, Temazepam 20mg, Topamax 100-150mg,
A Sense of Purpose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:43 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
So did they gave her the meds without a diagnose?
prn: Samyr 400mg ampoules and tablets - Lioresal 25mg (baclofen) - Rivotril (clonazepam) 2mg - generic bromazepam 3mg - generic mirtazpine 15mg - xanax (alprazolam) OS - generic gabapentin 300mg - Lyrica (pregabalin) 75mg - Provigil (modafinil) 200mg
swim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:01 AM   #4 (permalink)

Honestly, I don't know if they gave her a diagnosis or not. All I know is they told her she has psychosis and schizoaffective disorder, but I'm not sure if they actually diagnosed her. I'll have to ask her.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:05 AM   #5 (permalink)

I imagine if I only sign up for 3 or 5 days, then they probably won't mess with my medication. I am actually pretty happy with my medication. Plus, if they switched my aap, there's no way I could afford it. My doctor gives me free samples of Saphris.

They do not like benzos there which makes me sad. Fortunately, there's no way they can mess with my clonazepam because 3 days is not enough time to taper. I wouldn't mind getting a second opinion though.

She says just dont get committed.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:34 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Sense of Purpose View Post
The docs in the inpatient were more inclined to think it was medication induced bi-polar, yet here i am still rapid cycling and going through the motions every day (and keeping my blog alive).
Do they think it was your antidepressant causing the bipolar symptoms?
Old 06-27-2013, 03:49 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Do they think it was your antidepressant causing the bipolar symptoms?
They suspected it while i was in there and that was zoloft 150-200mg.
They threw me on 60mg of Prozac right away and stopped the zoloft.

I've cycled before med increases but med bumps do seem to make it worse
- Migraine Headaches

Current meds:
Vyvanse
50mg
Lamictal 200mg
Zoloft 75mg
Zyprexa Zydis 5mg
Zopiclone 7.5-15mg prn
Clonazepam 2mg prn (once a week)
Valium 10mg prn (once a week)

Previous useless meds: Dosulepin 50mg, Lithium 900mg Lexapro 20mg, Lyrica 100mg, Moclobemide 450mg, Prozac 60mg, Saphris 10mg Sodium Valproate 1500mg, Sumatriptan 50mg, Temazepam 20mg, Topamax 100-150mg,
A Sense of Purpose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 03:58 AM   #8 (permalink)

I'd have to agree. I was in hospital for a few days last year and it made me 10 times worse. Staff who don't care and really draconian rules (no windows open, no going out to the enclosed courtyard, no charging electronic devices, no access to kitchen). And you couldn't do or say anything really for fear of being forced to stay longer. After a suicide attempt is the time to engage that person and talk about things, not keep them in a confined space and force them to pretend they're okay so they don't have to stay there for weeks.

There are some okay places though. I really liked the adolescent psych unit I was on which was the complete opposite. I would think almost all adult places are horrible though.
radergan likes this.
Luna Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 06:14 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
And you couldn't do or say anything really for fear of being forced to stay longer. After a suicide attempt is the time to engage that person and talk about things, not keep them in a confined space and force them to pretend they're okay so they don't have to stay there for weeks.
This would be my biggest fear about inpatient treatment as well. My reasons are only loosely related, but...

I dated a girl once who had panic attacks, and she had me take her to the emergency room because she couldn't catch her breath. We had no health insurance at the time, so she was asked a rote series of questions by a apathetic doctor in the emergency room, one of which was "have you ever, at any time, considered committing suicide?" Her answer was "Ever? Yes."

With that, we were confined to a 8x8 foot room for 11 hours straight, guarded by a security guard. She was not allowed to leave the room for water or to go to the bathroom, as the hospital, per the very mention of "suicide" was obligated to transfer her to another location for a full psychological evaluation. In that 8x8 room she suffered from many panic attacks afterwards, all of which were witnessed by the security guard and dismissed without care. From the moment the doctors assigned the security guard to watch the door of that small room, we did not see another medical professional again until the paramedics came to force her into an ambulance on her way to the nearest inpatient psychiatric ward.

I'd like to think that this hospital was the epitome of bad healthcare and not indicative of how people with mental health crisis and without health insurance are treated. But, it taught me a lesson insofar as that some medical treatment centers, when faced with choosing between your well-being and guarding their asses in terms of liability, will choose the latter.

If you do choose inpatient care, be very careful how you answer any questions related to suicide or self-harm.
radergan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 09:14 AM   #10 (permalink)

I would hate to be committed, not knowing when you will be able to leave. I don't think I am that bad off even though some of my family as well as my therapist and doctor seem to think I am.
Old 06-27-2013, 09:38 AM   #11 (permalink)

I've been taken to psychwards and mental health hospitals by cops quite a few times and in the hospital psychwards they don't know how to deal with anyone. If they just get annoyed slightly with you you start hearing ''CODE WHITE, CODE WHITE'' Then bunch of security guards and nurses come strap you to a bed and poke you in the butt with a nice cocktail from hell. Oh also, a few times they were all males and laughed at my ''little white ***''
Old 06-27-2013, 09:54 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by radergan View Post
We had no health insurance at the time, so she was asked a rote series of questions by a apathetic doctor in the emergency room, one of which was "have you ever, at any time, considered committing suicide?" Her answer was "Ever? Yes."

With that, we were confined to a 8x8 foot room for 11 hours straight, guarded by a security guard.
I can see the hospital's position here and where they are coming from (as far as liability and being primarily concerned with your physical health), but that seems a poorly worded (and ambiguous) question - certainly not something to be locked up over.

I've had that 'talk' with my doctor, and he asked some questions relating to how detailed a 'plan' I had and whether I had the means to do it. THOSE are the important questions.

Who hasn't "considered" suicide at some point in their lives??

Having thought about inpatient treatment at times, I'll keep some of these things in mind..

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurrPanther View Post
Oh also, a few times they were all males and laughed at my ''little white ***''
I'd like to think that Canadian hospitals are better than that... WTF?

Just Lurking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:02 AM   #13 (permalink)

When i was a kid i was in one for a couple months. My last stint i refused treatment cause she was mean during the period i was awake for 10days i couldn't answer there questions correctly thé staff befor hand i convince them to give convinve me ativan which change my mood. Big mistake. If i woulda stayed awake and answered there question correctly i coulda maybe got help instead of suffer. They woulda drugged the **** outta me tho I bet.
GotAnxiety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:04 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Lurking View Post

I'd like to think that Canadian hospitals are better than that... WTF?
Well the R.O.H (mental health hospital) is a good place to get better and they know how to deal with people.

But the psychwards in the hospitals are terrible. Their solution to any issue is a poke in the ***. Sometimes 2. they say ''Two's better than one haha'' then they leave you strapped there on the bed for way more than the 30 minutes they say they do. I've seen people piss their beds after being strapped there for hours.
Old 06-27-2013, 10:13 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
If they just get annoyed slightly with you you start hearing ''CODE WHITE, CODE WHITE'' Then bunch of security guards and nurses come strap you to a bed and poke you in the butt with a nice cocktail from hell. Oh also, a few times they were all males and laughed at my ''little white ***''
Aww, that's so sweet!
Old 06-27-2013, 10:22 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Lurking View Post
've had that 'talk' with my doctor, and he asked some questions relating to how detailed a 'plan' I had and whether I had the means to do it. THOSE are the important questions.

Who hasn't "considered" suicide at some point in their lives??

Having thought about inpatient treatment at times, I'll keep some of these things in mind..

I have on several occasions mentioned my intention to commit suicide as well as my plan on how to do it, mostly involving benzos, opiates, alcohol, and barbituates. They make me sign all kinds of emergency forms releasing personal information to family, but they have never forcefully committed me. I don't think they have a good case to. Now, if I had gone to a hospital with these ideas, it may be a completely different story.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:25 AM   #17 (permalink)
CWe

Quote:
Well the R.O.H (mental health hospital) is a good place to get better and they know how to deal with people.

But the psychwards in the hospitals are terrible. Their solution to any issue is a poke in the ***. Sometimes 2. they say ''Two's better than one haha'' then they leave you strapped there on the bed for way more than the 30 minutes they say they do. I've seen people piss their beds after being strapped there for hours.
Scary as f--- mane

Ask me some Questions!
Click here
CWe is offline   Reply With Quote