X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Medication

Old 06-26-2009, 11:57 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Should I take Cymbalta?

I have mild SA, mild depression, and mild OCD. I took Zoloft for a month and a half with no noticeable difference. I told my doctor, and she decided to double the dose to 100 mg. I told her I'd try it, but I ended up not taking any more of them, as I hate the drowsiness that comes along with SSRIs. I came back and said I'd like to start an MAOI, preferably Nardil, but she said it's too much of a hassle and a risk taking those.

She prescribed Cymbalta, which she said would provide more stimulation than Zoloft, and that I should take it for 2 months before giving up hope on that. I read about some pretty bad withdrawal experiences with Cymbalta, and I don't think I even want to take it. Any comments?
cheesycow5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 02:02 PM   #2 (permalink)

it will be a big help if it works for you
arth77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 02:25 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arth77 View Post
it will be a big help if it works for you
Great answer...
Disclaimer: The user "Medline" is not a medical professional and does not provide medical advice. All information provided by "Medline" is based on his own research and/or personal experiences and should not be considered professional medical advice. All information provided by "Medline" is intended to be for informational purposes only. "Medline" assumes no liability and/or responsibility for the actions of individuals using any information provided.
Medline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 08:36 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesycow5 View Post
I read about some pretty bad withdrawal experiences with Cymbalta, and I don't think I even want to take it.
I took Cymbalta for nearly 3 months. Of all the pills my shrink has tried, it was probably the only one that managed to keep my depression at bay. It was like magic, I felt so well, so full of life and energy. However, the hefty price tag (10 bucks a pop ) forced me to switch back to Paxil, which to be honest, does absolutely nothing. I have heard of the side-effects, some of them pretty bad, that people claim go along with this drug, but other than a constantly dry mouth, I experienced none of them. In the end, though, it's your choice, I can only tell you how it worked for me, there is no way to know if it'll work for you. Good luck!
RoninDistance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 02:15 AM   #5 (permalink)

I was on Cymbalta for about a year with minimal improvement. Coming off it was a ***** though. It took me a good two months to ween myself. My main problem was constant heart palpitations. Of course, that's not going to happen with everyone, but it made me realize it's some strong stuff. I've not tried anything since. A little bit too weary.
cakesniffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 10:49 AM   #6 (permalink)

I'm on about day four of taking Cymbalta and I just started taking Rhodiola Rosea from ProActiveBio last night. I got absolutely no sleep last night but today I seem to feel a little different. Definitely more general anxiety, probably from the SNRI noradrenaline inhibition. I seem to have slightly less social anxiety, but it could very well be placebo.
cheesycow5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 10:59 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesycow5 View Post
I'm on about day four of taking Cymbalta and I just started taking Rhodiola Rosea from ProActiveBio last night. I got absolutely no sleep last night but today I seem to feel a little different. Definitely more general anxiety, probably from the SNRI noradrenaline inhibition. I seem to have slightly less social anxiety, but it could very well be placebo.
Rhodiola inhibits COMT, one of the enzymes that breaks down noradrenaline, so could interact badly with Cymbalta. It also increases serotonin, I believe. I had to stop taking rhodiola with moclobemide (a MAO-A inhibitor) due to the rapid heart rate it was giving me sometimes. Cymbalta is much more selective than moclobemide though, so it may not be that much of a concern.
euphoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 05:16 PM   #8 (permalink)

Basketball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 05:28 PM   #9 (permalink)

MAOI too much of hassle for who you or her? I'd try the Cymbalta and if it doesn't work and she still won't give you the Nardil dump her for a Dr. with more balls.
scaredtolive is offline   Reply With Quote