Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

Should I ask for Buspar?

5K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  LostAgain57 
#1 ·
I have been on fluxetine(sp?) for a little over a month now and it's been working great.. however, I have no realized how bad my anxiety is with my depression lessoned. I have Klonopin but I cant take that daily.

Should I ask my psych for Buspar(buspirone)? I also am dealing with MAJOR sexual side effects... so I'm wondering if it could help with that too

Advice?

#12 ·
I've used buspar both with zoloft and cymbalta. It did absolutely nothing for me but I have to mention that antidepressants have always made my anxiety/depression much much worse. Alot of people take benzodiazepines (klonopin, xanax, ect) Which acts fast to calm you, but from what I gather reading this board they seem hard to come by as doctors are afraid to prescribe them because they could have potential for abuse and dependency. That has never been an issue with me though.

#6 ·
Yep. Wouldn't be a bad try. Buspar has clinically shown effectiveness for the improvement of SSRI associated negative sexual side effects as well as the treatment of anxiety. It definetly boosted my libido!

The risks of addiction/abuse, sedation and cognitive dulling are much less than benzos as well.

A lot of people however don't notice significant effects from it. I believe that the standard dosage is a bit too low to make a big difference for most people. I say this because I have heard of much more success with people who are on higher dosages. While I find it helps my anxiety, I also find it makes me a bit more depressed as well unfortunately.

Also, the only other med that I can think of right now that typically has positive sexual effects (which is not an herbal concoction) is Wellbutrin which typically makes anxiety worse, so its not like you have a lot of options.

#9 ·
Buspar is now the only medication I'm on (3x 10mg), and it works wonders for my anxiety. I do have to 'augment' with Omega-3 fatty acids to fight depression. I notice the omega-3 gives me a rush at the high doses I take, quite similar to the stimulant properties of dexedrine and nicotine. Obviously, I have no sexual side-effects whatsoever.

Some people might claim Buspar's just a sugar pill, but I certainly disagree.

This post has been deleted
#10 ·
If your anxiety is really bad, you should look into benzos.

Ativan, which is another popular alternative, also sucks, though it's a little more effective.
I like how you qualify your suggestion of benzos by claiming that one of them sucks

#13 ·
Thanks for the responses guys. I already have a Benzo(Klonopin/Clonazepam) but like I said, I cant take that daily. I'll ask about Buspar and any other possibilities.

However, it doesnt seem like I have many options. Benzos I will not take daily and Wellbutrin gives me terrible side effects.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.