Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Medication

Like Tree5 Liked Posts

Old 01-23-2013, 06:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Saphris

Has anyone tried or even even heard of this drug?

My GP threw some samples of it at me. I haven't yet tried it, but the pack says it's a yummy black cherry flavor.
UltraShy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:34 PM   #2 (permalink)

Yum yum candy eat that **** !
GotAnxiety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:21 PM   #3 (permalink)

I wouldn't take a crappy antipsychotic because its black cherry flavored. But maybe if it was blue raspberry.

No no lol I'm joking.
jim_morrison likes this.
Ben12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:30 PM   #4 (permalink)

I've been taking Saphris for a few years. Really helps with racing thoughts and paranoia. I believe it has helped to reduce my anxiety a lot. Don't know about depression. I take a mood stabilizer for that.

First I started with Abilify which worked well but caused hunger/weight problems. Then I tried Geodon which caused a few problems. I got on Saphris and I've had good results.

What are you taking it for?
Old 01-23-2013, 08:35 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazinga View Post
What are you taking it for?
Uh, apparently for a GP who's totally obsessed with antipsychotics. This guy totally gets off on them for reasons that are beyond human comprehension.

I've never had any psychotic symptoms, and I'm definitely not bipolar. Asking why he gives out samples of expensive antipsychotics is like asking why Santa gives out gifts -- it's just what he does.

When you say "paranoia" are you using that term in the strict clinical sense? Often it's thrown around to me mere anxiety, but do you mean fears that you fail to recognize as irrational? But now that I type that it sounds like a silly question, since I guess a truly paranoid person wouldn't have awareness that they're paranoid, would they?
Old 01-23-2013, 08:40 PM   #6 (permalink)

If you're not depressed, bipolar, manic, paranoid, I wouldn't take it. I might try it for depression but probably not for anxiety unless I've tried everything else.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:44 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazinga View Post
First I started with Abilify which worked well but caused hunger/weight problems.
Back in 2004 I tried Abilify which produced 30# of weight gain in three months. Also from this same GP. He's been totally obsessed with antipsychotics for at least the last decade. If there's a new one, you can be damn sure his back room will have samples of it to the rafters.

Back a decade ago Abilify made the BS claim that it doesn't cause weight gain. Abilify ads I see on TV now all have weight gain listed as a side effect, no doubt demanded by the FDA who discovered their no weight gain claim was 100% pure bull.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:54 PM   #8 (permalink)

Abilify worked great but I gained 16lbs in a month.

I think the doctors get kickbacks which is why they're always handing out samples of expensive meds. for me: abilify, saphris, cymbalta, viibryd. Too expensive.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:59 AM   #9 (permalink)

Never heard of it.

--- Thomas Jefferson
Cletis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:12 AM   #10 (permalink)

Abilify only causes weight gain because it creates a raging appetite. I have this appetite but I supplement it with healthy food instead of filling my urges with sugary/baked goods. I mean I want to eat all the bad stuff don't get me wrong but I do find that if I eat healthy food it tastes so damn good on Abilify that it satisfies me. Right now I'm eating buckwheat with navy beans, lentils and plain yogurt. Sooo good. mmmmmm

I must admit I went nuts during xmas time with the bad foods, abilify has no sympathy and it will let you go nuts. I did gain a bit during that time but it evened out once I went back to healthy.
Sleep: melatonin 0.75mg /benadryl 12.5mg / zopiclone 1.75mg
kehcorpz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:03 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraShy View Post
Uh, apparently for a GP who's totally obsessed with antipsychotics. This guy totally gets off on them for reasons that are beyond human comprehension.

I've never had any psychotic symptoms, and I'm definitely not bipolar. Asking why he gives out samples of expensive antipsychotics is like asking why Santa gives out gifts -- it's just what he does.

When you say "paranoia" are you using that term in the strict clinical sense? Often it's thrown around to me mere anxiety, but do you mean fears that you fail to recognize as irrational? But now that I type that it sounds like a silly question, since I guess a truly paranoid person wouldn't have awareness that they're paranoid, would they?
Having family members who suffer from acute paranoia, they do indeed know that they are clinically paranoid, but it's only after the fact. Like my brother will spend three months thinking people are trying to kill him and his spam email is actually secretly encoded messages from his assassins, etc. he will then fall into depression and realize that he had been being paranoid. Likewise, my dad who doesn't get depressed but only has acute manic episodes when he experiences a lot of paranoia and delusions will then come down from it and realize that he had been paranoid.

Before I started taking benzos my anxiety would get so sever that I would become paranoid and have racing thoughts. I would be hyper-vigilant and hyper-aware and think every noise was someone sneaking around, my anxiety was basically so bad that I had very paranoid thoughts. I would think that every physical itch, ache and pain was some life-threatening problem. Mostly I got very paranoid about people in my life due to Social Anxiety, I thought everyone was out to harm me in some way. I knew that it was paranoid thinking, but it was there nonetheless.

When I first started seeing a psychiatrist was back when Seroquel was the new wonder-drug. Astra-Zenca had given my psychiatrist literally an office room full of free samples. I saw him monthly and he would send me home with a big grocery bag full of of every kind of seroquel xr pill there was. I was new to psychiatrist, so I listened to him and I was so loaded on Seroquel for a couple months that beyond gaining 60 pounds I can't even begin to describe the experience. I still have shelves of the stuff but I wouldn't give it to my worst enemy.

Though apparently due to the extremely strong antihistamine effects of even low dose seroquel it will pretty much instantly end any bad psychedelic trip that someone may be having if they every take a hallucinogen and have a bad trip. So Even though I don't mess around with recreational drugs I figure it's good to hang on to some because If anyone I know is ever having a bad trip they just might come in handy.
istayhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:40 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by istayhome View Post
Though apparently due to the extremely strong antihistamine effects of even low dose seroquel it will pretty much instantly end any bad psychedelic trip that someone may be having if they every take a hallucinogen and have a bad trip. So Even though I don't mess around with recreational drugs I figure it's good to hang on to some because If anyone I know is ever having a bad trip they just might come in handy.
That's due to the serotonin blockade. Most atypical antipsychotics, mirtazapine, trazodone, cyproheptadine, etc. will probably end a psychedelic trip in a similar fashion, anything that blocks 5-HT2 receptors.
jim_morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:42 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_morrison View Post
That's due to the serotonin blockade. Most atypical antipsychotics, mirtazapine, trazodone, cyproheptadine, etc. will probably end a psychedelic trip in a similar fashion, anything that blocks 5-HT2 receptors.
ah yes, thank you for the correction. I figure if I'm ever at a festival again it might be handy to bring a few pills along for the inevitable kids who think they are dying after taking LSD.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:17 AM   #14 (permalink)

To be honest I don't think there is something stronger than benzo's(yeah alcohol and barbs). Believe I have tried everything and benzos amphetamines beta blockers are the most bad *** meds. You shouldn't take AP's man. BTW I'm curious Ultrashy have you tried MAOI's? The only class of meds I never took in my lonely life.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:49 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freesix88 View Post
To be honest I don't think there is something stronger than benzo's(yeah alcohol and barbs). Believe I have tried everything and benzos amphetamines beta blockers are the most bad *** meds. You shouldn't take AP's man. BTW I'm curious Ultrashy have you tried MAOI's? The only class of meds I never took in my lonely life.
I'll answer for him, no he hasn't tried MAOI's, also you're only 24. you have many years of loneliness ahead of you before you can say that you've had a lonely life. A lot can change yo. Yeah, we all know that if we're not psychotic, it is best to not take Antipsychotics.

I must disagree; antipsychotics will knock you down a hell of a lot more than any benzos ever will.
mark555666 likes this.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:56 PM   #16 (permalink)

Anti-psychotics can be useful and save you a trip to the hospital if your in delrium or psychosis. I've always like them ever since my mom and dad had me on risperidone as a child well taking ritalin. They can make excellent sleeping pills.
GotAnxiety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:19 PM   #17 (permalink)

I wouldn't take a crappy antipsychotic because its black cherry flavored.
pacosarae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:19 AM   #18 (permalink)

^The cherry flavour is not to attract people to it, it's apparently because the dissolving pill itself tastes absolutely horrid.
Ben12 likes this.
jim_morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:05 AM   #19 (permalink)

I prefer the weird tasting ones to the black-cherry ones. The taste doesn't bother me.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:36 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
To be honest I don't think there is something stronger than benzo's(yeah alcohol and barbs).
If you think benzos are strong, then you might also think a Geo Metro was a high performance race car.

Quote:
Believe I have tried everything and benzos amphetamines beta blockers are the most bad *** meds.
I get the amphetamine part. Not sure how beta blockers (pills I take for high blood pressure) can be deemed bad a**. Is Lipitor bad a** too then by that standard?

Quote:
BTW I'm curious Ultrashy have you tried MAOI's? The only class of meds I never took in my lonely life.
As istayhome already answered on my behalf, no, I've never tried MAOIs. Nardil was offered to me a decade ago, but I declined as the risk of hypertensive crisis scared me away. I guess if I'm going to die, I'd prefer to die on my own terms rather than because I eat the wrong food. Actually, far worse would be having a non-fatal stroke due to hypertensive crisis and end up as a vegetable that's still alive (but should be dead, but as a vegetable is unable to cause their own death).

MAOIs still scare me, and I'm not someone prone to being afraid of meds.

Saphris definitely makes me sleep, though I honestly don't know WTF to do. My doc wanted me to call on Monday to report how it's going. Perhaps I should just take it a few more days and see, even though I think it's stupid. Weight is the root of basically all my physical problems (high BP, high cholesterol) and taking something that has any risk of weight gain strikes me as utterly insane under such circumstances. Add in the fact that I gained 25# on Zyprexa and 30# on Abilify and we start to see a pattern that suggests I don't do well on atypical antipsychotics.

Is this going to be like SSRIs where my former pdoc had me beat 6 dead horses to prove all were absolutely positively 100% certainly DEAD!?! Will I have to f'ing beat every AP to prove they all cause weight gain?