Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

Research into brain disorders under threat as drug firms pull out

3K views 28 replies 13 participants last post by  QuietBoy99 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Discouraging. I see now that there is a great distance between all that initial promising studies of something like delta-agonists, enkephalinase inhibitors etc (thousands them) and them being marketed.
But we still have an infinite number of potential combinations...

#17 ·
Your right about the infinate numer, its possible some systems dont work without others, such as serotonine levels being needed for gaba to work, wich makes it difficould to see what could help, anyway it explains the effiacy of MAIO's they act on most neurotransmitters implicated in our disorder and will also target additional problems in our brains.

I dont think we should be thinking about regelating this and that and upregulate anymore, because its a fact that the brain is just to complex, you can only find out by trying a ton of stuff.

#3 ·
It is indeed scary, but i can understand why.
As i have posted before, new drug development (especially one involving a substance thats bound to have side effects) are becoming harder to fund, research and market. It costs somewhere between $1-2 billion for a drug to go through development, and all phase trials (so thats around 7-10 years).
A very expensive flop if approval by the FDA is not granted...

#4 ·
According the article; drug companies are leaving because they are scared of being sued for adverse effects caused by the harmful drugs. I'm not surprised lawsuits are piling up everyday and most of them are settled out of court. The profits that drug companies make are more than the fortune 500 companies COMBINED so 1 or 2 billion is nothing. I guess it's finally catching up with the drug companies. I hope they enjoy. :)

#10 ·
According the article; drug companies are leaving because they are scared of being sued for adverse effects caused by the harmful drugs. I'm not surprised lawsuits are piling up everyday and most of them are settled out of court. The profits that drug companies make are more than the fortune 500 companies COMBINED so 1 or 2 billion is nothing. I guess it's finally catching up with the drug companies. I hope they enjoy. :)
The reason their drugs are expensive and they "make a big profit" as you seem to think is due to liability. They know they they will be sued at one stage or another and they want to protect themselves from that. Every drug has side effects and its a very grey area for psychiatrists for a number of reasons. IMO people should do their own research, of find a decent psych if they have any doubts.

#5 ·
perhaps this means less pills and more alternative therapies.
Which is a bad thing because unlike proper medicine, 'alternative therapies' (assuming you're talking about wishy washy 'natural health' crap) don't have to go through trials in the most of the world, and any con artist can perform them outside of any kind of regulations.

Trialling and researching the effects of new/seldom used classes of drugs usually brings with it new knowledge. On the other hand, letting so-called 'practitioners' of these 'alternative therapies' keep on regurgitating the same old rubbish about how 'DRUGS ARE BAD FOR YOU AND BIG PHARMA IS EVIL' until everybody starts to believe it is a step backwards and potentially holds back the scientific progress that could actually help people like us.

#7 ·
Which is a bad thing because unlike proper medicine, 'alternative therapies' (assuming you're talking about wishy washy 'natural health' crap) don't have to go through trials in the most of the world, and any con artist can perform them outside of any kind of regulations.
my bad-poor use of words, i meant talking therapies and other such things

#6 ·
Only one anti-depressant, Agomelatine, has been licensed in the last 10 years, compared with 10 new drugs for epilepsy. Companies are also increasingly fearful of lawsuits, as patients pursue them through the courts over the adverse effects of medicines.
:eek:

since when was depression a brain disorder? except in the loosest sense

#9 ·
:eek:

the elephant in the room- since when was depression a brain disorder? apart from in the very loosest sense
Do elaborate.

For me, governments should be doing more about depression/anxiety. These are such common problems, and they are very costly in many ways. But then again, if the general public doesn't put pressure on its government to do more then said government wont bother, and we all know that the general public would rather forget about mental illness.

#15 ·
sigh...

#25 ·
As the OP i feel some responsibilty for this thread. i like sas cos people are generally tolerant towards each other and respect their views even if they don't share them.

upnodownboi in reply to Duke of Prunes said:
my bad-poor use of words, i meant talking therapies and other such things
actually not my bad lol, i suppose it was open to inference but i really did just mean alternatives to pills.

TheoBobTing said:
I very much doubt that. Depression only seems intangible because our understanding of the physical processes occuring in the brain is limited. Senses of smell and sight might seem 'intangible' if we didn't understand the physical processes behind them.
i'm more of the belief of a holistic approach towards treating depression in the long term, i think seeing depression as just a brain disorder is tempting but incomplete and its probably better to support the whole body through its own mechanisms.

#27 ·
long term use of serotonine in SSRIs will start eating your bones away,it hasnt been around long enouth for this to happen yet ..maby another 10-20 years
the droug comphany just skiped that part on the dangers of taking medication...
YOUTUBE.........SEROTONION
its my own choice i wont be taking this medication......the droug comphanies should have this labled on the box ...thats where they will get cought out later down the track in law

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.