Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Medication

Like Tree4 Liked Posts
  • 2 Post By istayhome
  • 1 Post By A Sense of Purpose
  • 1 Post By kj87

Old 10-22-2012, 05:58 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default recreational use of drugs and depression/anxiety

which of the following is worse for depression and anxiety, considering that I'm already taking an antidepressant:
- opiates occasional moderate use
- alcohol intoxication
- mdma and analogues (occasional use)
- stims/amps
- benzo use
I assume that if the depression/anxiety worsens due to recreational drugs the best way to recover is switching to another antidepressant, is that right?
Shelved: generic bromazepam 3mg, generic gabapentin 300mg
swim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:12 AM   #2 (permalink)

I think your best bet is stop abusing any and all drugs asap. Give your brain a long time to heal from the many neurotransmitter irregularities that poly-drug abuse causes. It isn't easy and it may take years to level out, but you can't really address mental illness until you get all of the drug's you're abusing as a coping mechanism out of the picture. good luck man.
Noca and joaquimcast like this.
istayhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:17 AM   #3 (permalink)

As Istayhome says, drugs in general are probably best avoided.

Each one of those substances listed can cause anxiety and depression in their own right let alone if there is poly pharmacy.

I just got out of the ER the other week for being stupid and inducing a 2 week long migraine. Now rebuilding.
joaquimcast likes this.
- Migraine Headaches

Current meds:
Vyvanse
50mg
Lamictal 250mg
Zoloft 150mg
Zyprexa 10mg
Clonazepam 2mg prn (once a week)

Previous meds: Amitriptyline 200mg, Dexamphetamine 60mg, Dosulepin 50mg, Lithium 900mg, Lexapro 20mg, Lyrica 100mg, Methylphenidate IR 40MG LA 60mg, Moclobemide 450mg, Prozac 60mg, Saphris 10mg, Seroquel 300mg, Sodium Valproate 1500mg, Thorazine 500mg, Temazepam 20mg, Topamax 100-150mg
A Sense of Purpose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:28 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Sense of Purpose View Post
I just got out of the ER the other week for being stupid and inducing a 2 week long migraine. Now rebuilding.
Did you get drunk?
Old 10-22-2012, 07:11 AM   #5 (permalink)

Not too sure about the others but Opiates come with heavy withdraw symptoms and are addictive.

Alcohol is an excellent way to shoot up your anxiety and depression levels as well.

"Medically speaking, once alcohol begins to take over your mind, it can start causing serious chemical imbalances within the brain, along with several other systemic problems. Alcohol reduces serotonin, dopamine, and epinephrine levels. These chemicals are called neurotransmitters, and each has a very important job to do. Once these levels drop, depression can quickly settle in. For people who are already depressed, adding alcohol on top of it can truly be playing with fire because their neurotransmitters were already in an altered state before adding alcohol."
swim likes this.
kj87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:15 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj87 View Post
Not too sure about the others but Opiates come with heavy withdraw symptoms and are addictive.

Alcohol is an excellent way to shoot up your anxiety and depression levels as well.

"Medically speaking, once alcohol begins to take over your mind, it can start causing serious chemical imbalances within the brain, along with several other systemic problems. Alcohol reduces serotonin, dopamine, and epinephrine levels. These chemicals are called neurotransmitters, and each has a very important job to do. Once these levels drop, depression can quickly settle in. For people who are already depressed, adding alcohol on top of it can truly be playing with fire because their neurotransmitters were already in an altered state before adding alcohol."
some helpful information at last.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:15 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swim View Post
Did you get drunk?
No. Not in the slightest.

A combination of several things over the period of 4 days
- Migraine Headaches

Current meds:
Vyvanse
50mg
Lamictal 250mg
Zoloft 150mg
Zyprexa 10mg
Clonazepam 2mg prn (once a week)

Previous meds: Amitriptyline 200mg, Dexamphetamine 60mg, Dosulepin 50mg, Lithium 900mg, Lexapro 20mg, Lyrica 100mg, Methylphenidate IR 40MG LA 60mg, Moclobemide 450mg, Prozac 60mg, Saphris 10mg, Seroquel 300mg, Sodium Valproate 1500mg, Thorazine 500mg, Temazepam 20mg, Topamax 100-150mg
A Sense of Purpose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:42 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj87 View Post

Yes, in my experience alcohol is huge problem.
Also, while on SSRI's MDMA and analogues seem to have no effect, do you notice the effects of MDMA while you are taking SSRI's?
The general consensus is that stimulants also aggravate anxiety and depression for most people similar to how alcohol does.
If benzos help relieve anxiety for you, I see no problem as long as you are not abusing them.
opiate abuse and addiction will really mess with your mood and cause depression/anxiety mood swings.

When using/abusing all of these drugs simply switching antidepressants won't really do anything to improve your condition. You have to get off of all the drugs first in order to give any antidepressant a fair shot at providing benefits for you.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:00 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by istayhome View Post
Yes, in my experience alcohol is huge problem.
Also, while on SSRI's MDMA and analogues seem to have no effect, do you notice the effects of MDMA while you are taking SSRI's?
The general consensus is that stimulants also aggravate anxiety and depression for most people similar to how alcohol does.
If benzos help relieve anxiety for you, I see no problem as long as you are not abusing them.
opiate abuse and addiction will really mess with your mood and cause depression/anxiety mood swings.

When using/abusing all of these drugs simply switching antidepressants won't really do anything to improve your condition. You have to get off of all the drugs first in order to give any antidepressant a fair shot at providing benefits for you.
yet still I read of people who take SSRIs and stims, or SSRIs and opiates daily as they were prescribed. As for me, I rarely abuse any legal or illegal drug. I took 5-apb and rolled great despite the prozac, two months ago I got drunk and I swear it was the last time for the hangover was quite hellish. I think it's possible to get high and be safe at the same time. That's why I would never ever take a MAOI, and wellbutrin later in my life when I can't get it up.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:25 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
yet still I read of people who take SSRIs and stims, or SSRIs and opiates daily as they were prescribed. As for me, I rarely abuse any legal or illegal drug. I took 5-apb and rolled great despite the prozac, two months ago I got drunk and I swear it was the last time for the hangover was quite hellish. I think it's possible to get high and be safe at the same time. That's why I would never ever take a MAOI, and wellbutrin later in my life when I can't get it up.
Yeah, depending on the individual's condition's they may be prescribed any cocktail of drugs. I guess I misunderstood. I thought you were saying that you are currently using/abusing all of these drugs currently and wondering if you could just switch to a different SSRI to combat all of the psychological problems that all of that poly drug use creates. Either way I am of the mindset that at least for me anyways it is best to stay away from all recreational drug use while I'm trying to manage anxiety and depression. The reason being that all of those drugs carry with them plenty of side effects that are counterproductive to the process of healing.

I guess I don't really understand what your question is exactly?
Old 11-10-2012, 05:46 PM   #11 (permalink)

There is a huge difference between use and abuse.
samsonites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:25 PM   #12 (permalink)

^Very true. And most people use drugs responsibly with no problem. I have never abused drugs but I have found it est not to use any drugs other than what actually helps to reduce anxiety and depression.

It's just my experience. I found even occasional use of alcohol (say 2 drinks, twice a week) to be pretty counterproductive in overcoming depression and anxiety. Every time I drank even a little it just seemed to aggravate my symptoms. I have had the same experience when using any recreational drug. So my personal choice has been to avoid any drug use other than what is absolutely necessary in recovering from my condition(s).
I think this is the best choice for me because my primary goal is to get better and when I have a goal I do everything possible to achieve that goal; setting aside as many distractions as possible. As I've matured a bit I find any enjoyment from drug use to be a complete waste of time, energy, money, sanity, etc.
Old 11-11-2012, 02:39 PM   #13 (permalink)

desperation makes the difference
Old 11-11-2012, 03:33 PM   #14 (permalink)

How one responds to desperation makes the difference between a fool and a wise man.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:44 PM   #15 (permalink)

How one responds to desperation and adversity can cause a person to act foolish or wise or somewhere in between . It is called the spirituality of imperfection. And we as humans are imperfect! Neither all good or bad. Neither all right or wrong! The most enlightened ones are those who say ," Bring me a so-called foolish man, so he can teach me".
metamorphosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:53 AM   #16 (permalink)

sometimes it's fine to get high, other times isn't
sometimes it's good to stay at home but in the summer one wants to stay outside so... I'm always depressed when winter comes and that's when I'd rather take care of myself. It is important to know which drug saves you in case of emergency, when you just can't wait for new antidepressant dosage to kick in...
Old 11-12-2012, 11:44 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
I'm always depressed when winter comes and that's when I'd rather take care of myself.
Ever tried a lightbox?
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."”
--Isaac Asimov

Note: majority of typos are from posting on my phone
Noca is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:47 AM   #18 (permalink)

Drugs are bad m'kay?
rawrguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:11 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
desperation makes the difference
Of course we are imperfect and feel great desperation at times. This does not have to be a reason to use recreational drugs or abuse drugs. Many people are extremely desperate and do not turn to drugs. Whether a person turns to drugs or not during a time does not indicate whether or not and to what degree they feel desperate.