Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

Questions about addiction to benzos

856 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Recipeforbliss 
#1 ·
So today i was put on Lorazepam .5 MG twice a day for a 3 week trial to see if it helps with anxiety.

Now before this i had bad anxiety and was taking xanax without a prescription illegally ( i know.....stupid) for the past 2 1/2 months...from .5 mg-1.5 mg a day..usually 1 mg or less.

Now that i have the lorazepam legally i want to use this and dump the xanax. If i cut the Xanax cold turkey..will the lorazepam be a good enough gap to get me through the crappy feelings i get 20 or so hours after taking xanax..or no since it's a different drug?

I still plan to taper from the xanax as i have enough i think to do a good taper program..is that the best thing to do and don't take the lorazepam until i am done?

#3 ·
since it has the same properties you think it would..but who knows. So in a sense i could gap the two and have no withdrawal at all or at least minimum effects. Come off xanax 100%(or close to it) after 3 weeks of using ativan?
'But again i don't know enough about it

#4 ·
Yes, taper off the xanax as you plan to, and when the anxiety or w/ds start from after your last xanax, start on the Ativan.
I take Ativan and find it very effective for anxiety. IT doesn't hit as hard as xanax but you should feel it within 20-30 mins and it will calm you and replace the xanax. ITs a good benzo, just a little different than xanax, not as quick to hit and not as much of a euphoria buzz, but it lasts longer and works just fine for anxiety.
I've been taking 3-6 mgs as needed daily for 5 years and find it to be very effective.
Be careful of the dosage though, you may need to up the Ativan dosage just a little since it is a bit weaker than xanax. Check with your Dr first though.

#5 ·
Loraz ain't nowhere near as pow'rful as them there xannies. They'll certainly help though. What matters is, the severity of your dependence.

If you had any idea how severe benzodiazepine dependence can get, you would drop these horrendous drugs immediately, as if they were hot coals and start playing with safer toys.

There are some new benzo like drugs out there, bred specifically to be less dependence inducing. I would look into those, if not a whole different class of drugs entirely.

Its crazy I know, but in terms of the health of your brain, you are better off polishing off a whole fifth of whiskey or vodka every day for your anxiety than you are going on benzos. Do what you will though, ain't my brain we talkin about LOL LOL.

#6 ·
Loraz ain't nowhere near as pow'rful as them there xannies. They'll certainly help though. What matters is, the severity of your dependence.

If you had any idea how severe benzodiazepine dependence can get, you would drop these horrendous drugs immediately, as if they were hot coals and start playing with safer toys.

There are some new benzo like drugs out there, bred specifically to be less dependence inducing. I would look into those, if not a whole different class of drugs entirely.

Its crazy I know, but in terms of the health of your brain, you are better off polishing off a whole fifth of whiskey or vodka every day for your anxiety than you are going on benzos. Do what you will though, ain't my brain we talkin about LOL LOL.
I just made an account because after reading this i was blown away. Your argument of taking that much alcohol would be safer is the dumbest thing I ever heard. Benzo addiction is severe however if you learn to use them wisely and not overdo it, theyre a great tool. I know many people who use them with caution who have very successful lives. Klonopin is a great drug that is functional and long lasting.

The key is to use them sparaingly as possible and you'll be fine. If you have a history of abuse let someone else dispense them for you.

Goodbye this was a throwaway acc..

Please do not compare casual benzo use to alcoholism. Bye bye

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.