Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Medication

Like Tree6 Liked Posts
  • 1 Post By Becky
  • 1 Post By arthur56
  • 1 Post By kassem23
  • 1 Post By newboki
  • 1 Post By wxolue
  • 1 Post By broflovski

Old 12-03-2007, 10:58 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Prozac vs. Celexa: Which SSRI should I ask for?

I have an appointment with my psychiatrist on Thursday and I'm finally going to give an SSRI a try in addition to my daily Xanax.

I'm thinking I want to try either Prozac or Celexa... now tell me which would be a better option for someone interested in getting the following results, in no particular order:

1) Weight Gain
- I'm skinny as hell and have no appetite, and I heard some SSRI's help with gaining weight.
2) Being able to stop cold turkey
- If I ever want to get off the medication, I want to be able to do it cold turkey without having any terrible symptoms from it
3) Reduce my social anxiety/make me more talkative
- Not sure if one or the other works better at social anxiety reduction
4) Stimulating/Increase motivation
- Right now all I do is browse the internet all day, and sleep. I'm hoping to get a slight kick of motivation from the medication
5) Least amount of side effects
- hmmm?

So yeah... Prozac vs Celexa... Which should I choose?

Feel free to post your own experiences, and any other additional information if you would like.

Thanks for the help!

Bizkit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 05:31 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Prozac vs. Celexa: Which SSRI should I ask for?

Weight gain is a toss up, some gain, some lose, some aren't affected either way.

stopping cold turkey isn't really a good idea with an SSRI, although some people can do it with no problem.

No drug is magically going to make you more talkitive or motivated to do stuff.

If you're on xanax now I would think that in combination with CBT would be the most helpful.
shana likes this.
Old 12-04-2007, 04:58 PM   #3 (permalink)

either will be OK, stay on the xanax to help cope with any early side effects
shana likes this.
arthur56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 05:00 PM   #4 (permalink)

sdfgdf
Zarklus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 05:56 PM   #5 (permalink)

Prozac is supposed to be the most stimulating SSRI (Paxil the most sedating). I think Celexa is pretty much neutral in this regard.

As for being able to stop cold turkey, Prozac has the longest half-life of any SSRI and thus is least likely to cause problems with getting off it.

Perhaps you should just flip a coin. It's impossible to know which will work best or work at all for any particular person.
UltraShy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 10:46 AM   #6 (permalink)

Prozac made me feel more reclusive than any of the SSRIs. I haven't had problems getting off any of them, but I've only been on them each for 4-6 weeks.

As confused as a baby in a topless bar.
Buckbeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 01:32 PM   #7 (permalink)

Prozac has had the same positive effects on me as when I was taking Zoloft as far as subsiding depressive feelings and less anxiety, but also hardly any side effects compared to when I was on Zoloft.
|30|3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 04:27 PM   #8 (permalink)

If you have to choose one, why not something more potent will actually work like zoloft or paxil? then again paxil is a bad drug to come off but it works better. Celexa are no better than a sugar pill for anxiety and depression and fluoxetine have weird side effects which differ in people, i gained heaps of weight while taking them because my depression was severely high on them.
People who respond to prozac tend to lose weight or maintain their weight

If you want to gain a little weight, sleep better at night and generally feel good without the SSRI side effects, ask about Remeron
hopefully you wont ever have to take seroquel

TCAs are good for depression but if its mainly anxiety and SA then i dont know, i mean i find nortriptyline helpful for depression and sleep and the sedation makes the anxiety much lower but SA? no not really much better or worse

The most socially inhibiting Antidepressant i found was Paxil
The worst for SA was ritalin by far, i was a hermit

Do you think we choose the times into which we are born? Or do we fit the times we are born into?-Abraham Lincoln
Arisa1536 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 04:34 PM   #9 (permalink)

Wait, wait, wait a minute.

What you just said there isn't based on any kind of medical literature I or anybody else have seen.

Basically, lexapro, that is escitalopram is the most well-tolerated SSRI, with least side-effects.

That said, for the OP, I think Prozac will be a good choice for you, since it said to the one of the more stimulating (activating) one's, and since you are already on Xanax, you won't be having too many problems with the over-excitability or restlessness. Otherwise, Zoloft is also really great for motivation and that kind of energy.

Good luck.
shana likes this.
kassem23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 09:34 PM   #10 (permalink)

Escitalopram is the most potent and it cured my ocd. Escitalopram is the best in terms of efficacy.
shana likes this.
newboki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 10:30 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by newboki View Post
Escitalopram is the most potent and it cured my ocd. Escitalopram is the best in terms of efficacy.
Did nothing for my BF and he was on a moderate dose
So yeah In my personal experience i found citalopram very ineffective but i am treatment resistant (Doc told me this afternoon, i suspected as much) So i am not the best person to take advice from

Prozac has had less positive effects than Celexa in terms of efficacy on OCD and SA and celexa is by far the safest SSRI there is, but theres the sexual dysfunction with SSRIs

so maybe if u could try celexa with remeron, because the remeron will increase your appetite and has no sexual side effects, and its safe to supplement with Celexa or fluoxetine, its been proven and there are some members on here who have been able to successfully take both remeron and fluoxetine simultaneously and it seems to be working

Do you think we choose the times into which we are born? Or do we fit the times we are born into?-Abraham Lincoln
Old 03-30-2011, 04:26 AM   #12 (permalink)

From a very big meta-analysis we know that in general escitalopram and sertraline are the best SSRIs (efficiency & tolerability) at least for depression.
Disclaimer: The user "Medline" is not a medical professional and does not provide medical advice. All information provided by "Medline" is based on his own research and/or personal experiences and should not be considered professional medical advice. All information provided by "Medline" is intended to be for informational purposes only. "Medline" assumes no liability and/or responsibility for the actions of individuals using any information provided.
Medline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 01:37 PM   #13 (permalink)

Sertraline DRI weak actiong looks promising to agument bupropion
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 07:01 PM   #14 (permalink)

First understand that there's no guaranteeing that an SSRI will be effective for your anxiety. Also, while symptoms may be statistically likely, nothing is typical for an SSRI. There are common side effects, but don't be surprised if you experience something totally different. I was ready to face a host of side effects, but after 2 ssris, by and large I have suffered from none. With that said, I'll try to address each of your qualities with what I know.

1) Weight Gain:
-Celexa is often has more tolerable side effects out of all of the ssris. The most common side effects are weight gain and sexual side effects. With that said, the difference isn't really that significant statistically, and if you are like the majority of people, you will have some sexual side effects and weight gain no matter what ssri you take.
2) Most people can't stop cold turkey. A few can do it no problem. With that said, prozac has the longest half life of any ssri. Your body hangs onto more, for longer. Although I am actually not sure about this, it makes sense to me that the longer half life would have less withdraw effects.
3) Reduce my social anxiety/make me more talkative
- Not sure if one or the other works better at social anxiety reduction
4) Stimulating/Increase motivation
- Prozac is one of the more stimulating ssris. If you're really looking for a motivation increase, I suggest you check out wellbutrin.
5) Least amount of side effects
- Celexa is statistically the most tolerated ssri in terms of side effects.

As far as my own experiences go, I have taken celexa and prozac. Both had little to no noticeable effect on me, good or bad, main or side effect.
shana likes this.
wxolue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 07:40 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
Sertraline DRI weak actiong looks promising to agument bupropion
Fluoxetine fits as well, it has noradrenergic and dopaminergic action via 5HT2c antagonism, that my be even better, as supporting dopaminergic action of bupropion but from the other side.
broflovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 10:23 AM   #16 (permalink)

Enzyme Interactions.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 12:21 AM   #17 (permalink)

Since Celexa/Lexapro tends to be more effiant, tends to kick in much quicker than all the AD'S and has a half-life none nearly as long as Prozac, I would start off on the Celexa/Lexapro. If you do not like it then try the Prozac, but if you are looking for what will work and give you the most benefit, Prozac would be the last one to try merely because of its long half-life and in some cases, 45 days in some until you can try another SSRI.
Briisthebest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 12:56 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
Enzyme Interactions.
Both sertraline and fluoxetine will inhibit CYP2B6, thus decreasing level of metabolite hydroxybupropion, so the resulting mix will be more dopaminergic (via bupropion itself) and less noradrenergic (via hydroxybupropion). See no problem here (it seems to be a beneficial shift, and may be even recommended in anxiety, to deter bupropion-induced noradrenergic overstimulation and nervousness).
The reverse influence on fluoxetine metabolism is unlikely, though hydroxybupropion is CYP2D6 inhibitor and substrate, just like fluoxetine.
shana likes this.
broflovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 01:41 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medline View Post
From a very big meta-analysis we know that in general escitalopram and sertraline are the best SSRIs (efficiency & tolerability) at least for depression.
supposedly but that is not what everyone finds the case to be.
I agree about the Zoloft (sertraline) as being effective and tolerable without the horrendous SSRI discontinuation syndrome

lexapro CAN be little more than a sugar pill in people with severe SA and Anxiety yet its potent and cannot be combined with TCAs well only lexapro anf fluoxetine but out of all of them, and going by my experiences with SSRI's, for an effective but more tolerable antidepressant, like medline wrote i would agree and say Zoloft is the best option.

all the best
Celexa is an old form of escitalopram, which is citalopram so chances are if lexapro does not work, its doubtful citalopram would