X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Medication

Old 10-02-2007, 11:20 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Prozac and Epinephrine....

I'm not sure if that's the right word, it's the stuff that they use to numb your mouth , it's a shot. Well I take Prozac and when they give me that stuff I shatart shaking and trembling and twitching for about 5-10 mintutes. I was wondering if anyone else had a similar reaction
Old 10-02-2007, 11:26 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Prozac and Epinephrine....

Well I think getting an adrenaline shot would make anyone shake o_O
mserychic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 11:36 PM   #3 (permalink)

I hope so. My mom said that it's not normal... is your name like that Stephen King book Misery?
Old 10-03-2007, 04:42 AM   #4 (permalink)

I thought they used one of the various -caine local anesthetic injections (Novocaine, etc) to numb the mouth during dental procedures. Why would they use epinephrine? The over-the-counter asthma inhaler I use has the active ingredient of like 0.22mg epinephrine per puff, and it doesn't numb my mouth at all. It does speed up my heart, that's for sure.

Things I have tried:
Lexapro, Zoloft, Celexa, Prozac, Paxil, Effexor XR, Remeron, Wellbutrin SR, Eskalith CR, Topamax, Valium, Xanax, Ativan, Ambien, Restoril, Desyrel, Ritalin, Adderall, Dexedrine, Inderal, Lopressor, Thorazine, Lamictal, Abilify, Depakote, Geodon, Seroquel, doxepin, chloral hydrate
korey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 09:19 PM   #5 (permalink)

"novacaine" is typically a mix of lidocaine and epinephrine. The purpose of the epinephrine is to cause your blood vessels to contract and hold the numbing agent in place so it doesn't wear off so quickly. The epinephrine will have some side effects on most people, but normally it is a fast heart rate and fast breathing rate.

Some people can't tolerate epinephrine and your dentist should be able to give you a shot without it, but it won't last as long.

I've had the no-epinephrine shot for a different reason. My blood vessels constrict too much, and the numbing agent takes about 1.5 hours to really get to work, and my mouth remains numb until about 5 hours afterwards. So I got one shot without, to get everything numb quickly, then one shot with, to keep it numb.
jay_walking is offline   Reply With Quote