X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Medication

Old 02-01-2009, 05:08 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default propranolol/atenolol

I take propranolol for shaking and tremor - and it works great ( when i do presentations or talk in groups etc etc). I also have asthma though and i think it has made my asthma much worse. I have heard atenolol works as well as propranolol but doesn't work on the lung receptors which means it doesn't affect asthma - BUT my own GP told me that atenolol does not work for anxiety and that on'y propranolol works for it. I am desperate because without propranolol i can't finish my uni course but with it i am having trouble breathing. Has anyone tried atenolol and does it work for shakes and tremors??
determinedtowin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 05:17 AM   #2 (permalink)

You need unselective beta blockers like propranolol for anxiety, selective ones like Atenolol/Metoprolol won't work very good.
Medline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 05:30 AM   #3 (permalink)

I've read elsewhere that they do work. I've read that propranolol has shwon some promise for GAD etc - but that for shaking etc, the other betablockers would work also. I'm really hoping that they might because i can't think of any other med that i could take for it.
Old 02-01-2009, 05:34 AM   #4 (permalink)

I don't really know, you have to try I guess. Here is some info about beta blockers and asthma: http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/418021_2
Medline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 06:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
X33

I think it is worth a try. It will keep your heart rate normal even though it won't directly help with shakes and tremors.
Btw, propranolol is contraindicated if you have asthma because it basically does the opposite of what inhalers do ..
X33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 01:52 AM   #6 (permalink)

I know which is why i am desperate to find something else that will help but not affect my lungs.
Old 02-02-2009, 02:32 AM   #7 (permalink)

I didn't get enough benefit from atenolol to justify the constant checkups and the impossibility of working out (heart rate stays pretty constant).

I'll write down propranolol in my notebook though, just in case I ever want to give the beta-blockers another go round.
"[Hillary Clinton] is a *****. And so am I. *****es get stuff done. That's why Catholic schools use nuns instead of priests. At the end of the year you hated those *****es, but you knew the capital of Vermont." - Tina Fey
bezoomny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 09:07 AM   #8 (permalink)
X33

Have you considered non beta blocker anti anxiety medications? In my experience, they help with physical symptoms of anxiety even better than beta blockers. Their side effects are worse than betablockers though.
EDIT: I am 99.999% certain that SSRIs and benzos are ok to take if you have asthma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bezoomny View Post
I didn't get enough benefit from atenolol to justify the constant checkups and the impossibility of working out (heart rate stays pretty constant).

I'll write down propranolol in my notebook though, just in case I ever want to give the beta-blockers another go round.
Propranolol's half life is 4-5 hours which is shorter than the 6-7 hours of atenolol. I suppose if you wait long enough for the med. to become inactive, you won't have any problems with exercise.
Besides, betablockers can be used as needed. You don't have to take them everyday like SSRIs which I think is a good thing.
X33 is offline   Reply With Quote