X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Medication

Old 11-01-2008, 05:58 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Pristiq?

I was fortunate enough for my doctor to prescribe me xanax xr (I chose the slow release version over the immediate release), but I could only take it a few days at a time, due to the fatigue it caused me. I went to see a nurse practioner in the same office to see what her opinion might be, and she gave me a bunch of samples for pristiq. I've taken a few days worth and really don't have any side effects, except for nervousness, which I expected at the beginning. I just don't know now if I should try it for the 5-6 weeks to see if it helps, or if I should just be grateful that my doctor let me have the xanax xr and continue on that to see if the fatigue goes away. I have to see him in Dec. and I am not sure what he is going to think about me seeing the nurse practioner and starting on another med. What do you guys think?
americandancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 10:16 AM   #2 (permalink)

Ahh Pristiq, sounds like Effexor XR's patent is running out.
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."”
--Isaac Asimov

Quitting while you are ahead isn't the same thing as quitting; lesser known fact
Noca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 12:17 PM   #3 (permalink)

LOL, just like when Celaxa's patent ran out and the "novel" Lexapro came on the market. Funniest thing was with Paxil, it has a long enough half life for once daily dosing, but when the patent ran out GSK created the "novel" controlled-release form.
Medline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 08:08 PM   #4 (permalink)

The fact that it is newer is a concern for me. I haven't checked to see how much it costs, because right now I have samples. I don't want to pay a huge amount for it, unless it will really work well!
The nurse practioner did say it was similar to effexor, but had less side effects and was better for anxiety. I guess that is what the reps told her....So, should I try it or just stick with the xanax? The xanax xr is great for me during the day, but I just get so tired and irritable in the late afternoons. I was hoping taking another anti-depressant would give me my motivation back. I really think anxiety is my main problem, but how can I tell if I have some depression also, or if it just a result of being tired from the xanax? Once my system gets used to it (if I take it continuously for a few weeks), will I get my energy back, yet still feel calm and normal at the same time, or will I always be tired?
Sorry so many questions....I am just feeling desperate.
Old 11-01-2008, 08:45 PM   #5 (permalink)

Its likely always going to make you tired.

Frankly I wasn't able to grasp the scope of or even recognize my major depression until I got on a med which treated it and then it was a light bulb moment of "oh, because normal people feel like this is why everyone else isn't choking back tears every minute of the day like me". Point: take the new class of med and see if it helps, simple.

Pristiq makes me nervous just like effexor. Every SSRI/SNRI is different and will have different effects on every individual.
KurtG85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 11:58 AM   #6 (permalink)

It seems to be making me nervous, too, but I've only been taking it about 5 days. I expected it to make me anxious, but I am guessing it is similar to cymbalta, and that made me really nervous, too. I just hate to take 5-6 weeks worth and it not work, and then have to go through the weaning off of it. I'm also a little worried my doctor will want to stick with this, since I went in for another opinion. I am just wondering if I should be grateful for the xanax and just deal with the fatigue.
Old 11-02-2008, 03:19 PM   #7 (permalink)

If you want to try something else, just let your doctor know. If he refuses, get a new doctor.

About two weeks is as long as most people need to see if a med such as this is going to help or not. I need about 5 days at most.

Cymbalta does not make me anxious in near the same way pristiq does. Effexor and pristiq lead to a more aggressive nervousness than cymbalta does in myself although it still does increase my irritability to an extent.

Just today I decided to try just cymbalta for awhile (stopped my 30mg lexapro today). I am sick of the flatness I feel from lexapro.
Old 11-03-2008, 04:48 AM   #8 (permalink)

Good luck with the cymbalta. It worked pretty well for my anxiety once I moved back down to 30mg. The 60 seemed too much for me, but after a couple of months on the 30, I seemed much better. My blood pressure was a little high, so that is why my dr. took me off of it and just prescribed the xanax xr. That was back in May and I've yet to try the xanax for more than a few days at a time.

I didn't know I would be able to tell if the Pristiq would work in just a couple of weeks! If the way I feel now is a sign of how it is going to work, then I won't be able to take it. I'm just really jumpy and irritable. I think I would be fine taking it with the xanax, but then I might just be fine with the xanax alone. I just don't know if I have depression or not....I really just need something to take the edge off.

I don't want to change doctors because I feel very lucky that mine is willing to give me xanax. It seems like so many others have problems getting it. Even the nurse practioner gave me pristiq and didn't discuss other options with the xanax when I told her it was making me tired. That is one reason I was scared to complain about it. I don't want my regular doctor to just write it off as not working. I can deal with the fatigue it causes me...it's more the irritability that worries me.
Old 11-03-2008, 05:36 PM   #9 (permalink)

Wound up having to stop the cymbalta due to the nervousness it causes me. I cant figure the **** out, so im back on friggin lexapro. :

SNRI's have much greater potential to 'add' to edginess than SSRIs. I would try a low dose of lexapro if you are looking to take the edge off. That is pretty much the perfect description of what a low dose of lexapro does for me.
Old 11-04-2008, 05:17 AM   #10 (permalink)

Yea, that is what I was thinking too. I tried lexapro a long time ago, and it worked almost immediately, but then I started itching, so my doctor took me off of it. I may see if I can try it again. I know it is supposed to be really good for anxiety. I guess anything, including my situation with xanax xr, is a trade-off. It gets rid of the anxiety, but you just have to deal with the fatigue/flatness. Bleh..... Sorry the cymbalta didn't work for you. I have a doctor's appt. early December, so I guess I could either stick with the pristiq until then, or just go back on my xanax er and see how I do, and then discuss the lexapro with him, if I still feel depressed. Which do you think I should do?
Old 11-04-2008, 10:01 AM   #11 (permalink)

You should try and give the pristiq as long as you can. Sometimes it takes a bit of time to really notice the potential positive effects on your functioning that meds can have. The longer you are on it the more perspective you will have on its effects on your psyche and functioning levels. Things may not get any better but these thorough observations can really help you to zero in on a med that works best for you in the future by fully understanding each meds effects on you and relating this to their mechanisms of action. If you haven't yet I would start keeping a journal that documents the effects you feel from each med in painful detail.

Many people think that their psychiatrists are perfectly adept at finding the best med for them and thats why they are paid so well. The fact is they are pretty much next to worthless compared to the (very well informed) treated individual's ability to effectively zone in on a med that will be effective for them (provided the treated individual is not too significantly.... messed up). You just have to do a very good deal of research and reading to sufficiently understand the very limited knowledge of modern psych meds.

I would give pristiq another week or two and then go back to xanax if you don't feel any positive benefits. There are a crap load of meds you have yet to try. It shows your intelligence that you already have recognized that there are almost always going to be some amount of trade offs instead of just damning all meds to hell just because we must take some negatives along with their positives.
Old 11-05-2008, 03:11 PM   #12 (permalink)

Thanks so much for your responses! I will stick with the pristiq a little longer, but I kinda have my doubts it will work. I have a hard time handling anything that gives me additional anxiety. At least I have the xanax to go back to, at least for now! That does give me some comfort...

I am actually getting my meds from my gp. I have seen a psychiatrist in the past for cbt, but that was a long time ago. I like your idea regarding keeping the journal. I think that will help me.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:48 AM   #13 (permalink)

Default Going Commando

I am thinking about giving up both Remeron and Pristiq, and just toughing it out. Neither one really help all that much for me. I have previously taken Wellbutrin, Prozac, Effexor, Paxil, Zoloft, Cymbalta, Lexapro, Celexa and Lamictal. Enough is enough.
dallasmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 07:24 PM   #14 (permalink)

I didnt get anything out of Prestiq except a reduced appetite.

-------------------------------------------------------
CopadoMexicano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 09:19 AM   #15 (permalink)

Default Prestiq did not work for me

I have taken many, many anti-depressants and anxiety meds. Paxil, Lexapro, Xanax, Ativan, Abilify (couldn't stay awake on this med), Symbyax, I have to say that by far Prestiq had the worst side effects for me. My brother had the same experience. The worst side-effect it had on me was that it made me crazy. I had extreme anger over everything. I noticed it wasn't working after about 1 month...my doctor told me to stay on it for a little while longer, so I did. In that time...I went to my ex-boyfriend's house and attacked him...then I totalled my car on purpose. That medicine made me go insane. He finally took me off of it after that happened. It made my brother mad for no reason also. There was someone on TV that made him mad and he all but bust his television. He wanted to beat the guy up. Prestiq may work for some people, but beware of these very dangerous side effects. I now take 2mg of Klonopin and 75mg of Doxepin a day and IT WORKS!! Please...if you are very irritable on Prestiq...talk to your doctor...it may get worse.
guineapig4meds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 09:26 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasmax View Post
I am thinking about giving up both Remeron and Pristiq, and just toughing it out. Neither one really help all that much for me. I have previously taken Wellbutrin, Prozac, Effexor, Paxil, Zoloft, Cymbalta, Lexapro, Celexa and Lamictal. Enough is enough.
I've tried most of those myself. The only thing I've found that's worked for me is a combination of Klonopin and Doxepin. I take 1mg of Klonopin in the morning and at bedtime. I also take 25mg of Doxepin in the morning and 50mg at bedtime. I was put on Doxepin because it is an older medication that helps treat anxiety and depression. All the newer medications didn't work for me...except for xanax, but it is too addictive and dangerous. Klonopin is a benzo like Xanax, but you are less likely to become soooo addicted to it like Xanax. The difference is that Xanax only last about 2 hours...then you start going through withdrawls. Klonopin lasts about 8 hours...so less is needed to get similar effects.
guineapig4meds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 09:01 AM   #17 (permalink)

I was on Pristiq for 8 days. My blood pressure and blood sugar when sky high. I was very nervous and a basket case. I went back to Celexa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phibes View Post
My GP gave me a sample pack of Pristiq yesterday which has a weeks worth of 50 mg tablets.
An hour after taking my first one I noticed a bit of light-headedness and also a bit of nausea but nothing that painful; maybe a smidgen of elevated anxiety.
I have been eating oven dried white bread to help calm my stomach.

I'm excited to see if this helps me.

On a side note, I had my first few days of university this week and it went great so I think things can only get better.
dcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 07:15 PM   #18 (permalink)

I've just switched from Cymbalta to Pristiq. After just a few days, I've noticed a marked difference. Antidepressants tend to work with me for a couple of years, then suddenly lose their effectiveness. This happened with Cymbalta, and made me feel anxious, giddy, and angry (kind of like a manic episode) all at once. It was scary, and I didn't realize how bad it was until I switched.

We'll see how it goes with Pristiq. I've taken Effexor, and it seemed to help until the usual two year mark.
eejm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 07:43 PM   #19 (permalink)

For me, SNRI's (Effexor in particular) are the only class of anti-depressants that have worked for depression besides MAOIs. With that said, the benefits did not outweigh the increased anxiety and TERRIBLE withdrawals.

A New Vote for Hope
DistinctlyAmbiguous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 08:43 PM   #20 (permalink)

can someone explain this idea of giving out samples? not being from america its not something I'm familiar with but it just raises some questions, like what happens if the person develops a dependance to the med from the samples they're given?
upndownboi is offline   Reply With Quote